Sign in to follow this  
Daedicus

[Fixed] Unable to Drink Using Context Menu

Curious if it is intended for the right click drink option to be tied to the pick up function on deeds.

As a player with default unchanged alliance perms on a deed I was unable to drink from a well or fountain using the right click drink option, I got the standard "Illegal Here" message. After adding a role to that same deed for that same character with the "Pick up" permission only I can now drink using right click.

Are you doing the r-click on the water or on the container?

If I right click on a barrel -> Drink in a building I have almost all rights to (I can even destroy walls) I get this. But if I right click -> open, then right click the water -> drink, I can drink it.

You need to open the well/fountain/container and the right click the water inside and choose drink.

Why is that then? When there is a context menu specifically for right clicking the well or fountain and drinking? And the mayor of the deed/any villager can do so?

If you do not have pick up permissions for the village you will have to drink the water the old fashioned way.

Right Jake, I understand this. And in all honesty now that I know that from some testing (once I got virtually the same responses in CA chat) this isn't a big deal. I was forwarded to post it here by Yaga. I did so simply to see if "Pick up" as a permission to drink form a fountain was really intended.

Edited by Daedicus

One last necro bump because I'm bored. Is anyone able to give me official clarification that this is intended or not? I am fully aware of the mechanics and how they work. Just looking to make sure the permission of a deed to use the context menu to drink is intended.

Thanks.

I've no idea whether this is intended for some reason or not.  I've verified the behavior and opened up a bug.  Thanks for the report.

This may or may not be a bug, but I thought I would highlight it, as there appears to me to be a disparity between the two different ways of drinking from a well. 

1. The first way is to right click the well and choose 'Drink' from the menu.
  2. The second way is to open the well and 'Drink' from the water itself.

Both methods have always worked fine for me, until a new alt joined the village and today tried to use the public well inside the communal building. The well is planted, and the building has Deed, Alliance and Kingdom access, but is not deed managed.

The right-click menu 'Drink' command did not work for her - because the well is a container item planted inside a building...

[03:51:25] That would be very bad for your karma and is disallowed on this server.

...but because the well can not be locked, the alt was able to open the well and drink from the water anyway!

The net affect was just to slow her down.

It appears that only player names that are manually added to the building permissions and have the 'Pickup Planted' check boxes ticked can drink from the planted indoor well using the right-click menu. (Incidentally 'Pickup Planted' seems to be selected automatically when I select the 'Manage Items' checkbox too)

This is not really practical for a building which is currently open to everyone.

Perhaps an idea would be to allow right-click drinking from wells and fountains, whether inside a building or not, to save players having to open the well or fountain?

It's not urgent, as there is the 2nd way of drinking from the water itself, but the above scenario might put a new player off using the well, if drinking doesn't work first time as expected for them.

This is clearly cause the well is in a house.

Same when the well is outside. You can drink water, when you open the well.. But can't drink water, when you rightclick on well and choose drink. Haven't bothered to find out, under what permission that goes tho.

• Like 1

It seems all containers on deed have this problem.

If it was just due to the fact that they were planted it would affect off deed wells too.

My fountain outside on deed will not allow my ally to right click 'Drink' if I don't allow 'pick up' on deed for allies.  Even without pick up enabled, she can still open the fountain and drink.  If I enable pick up, she can do both.

It appears that 

• the on deed building blocks right-click drinking from the indoor planted well if 'pick-up planted' is not checked in the building permissions,

and

• the deed itself blocks right-click drinking from the outside on deed fountain or other water container if 'pick up' is not checked in the deed permissions.

Both allow players to open the container and drink directly from the water - or drag as much of the water as they want into their own containers. 

A huge oil barrel full of water operates the same way, which means it can be opened, drunk or emptied by anyone.

I think this code ought to be looked at because it is confusing for players just trying to obtain free water from a container, well or fountain, it just slows them down or puts them off if they can't right click drink.

Edited by Muse

This looks like the water override in action - essentially, water is excluded from permissions, so you can't prevent someone drinking it (this is a QoL thing that's been around for ages).  However, this is specific to water itself, not to the container that contains it - you could have a fountain of brandy.  Also, some containers (cooking ones spring to mind) can contain several different liquids at the same time, so that's also a potential breakage. 

Essentially, if you want a container to be public access, you need to set your permissions to allow that.  If you want to be guaranteed a drink out of any on-deed water container, get used to opening it and drinking the water directly.

• Like 2

Yes, this is what we currently have to do. It's just not intuitive for new players and frustrating for others. :) 

I think logically it would make more sense to have the reverse, to allow all players to use the right click drink and use permissions to control the opening of the container and possible emptying.

Thanks for your comment, it's very helpful :) 

Edited by Muse

17 hours ago, Wonka said:

you could have a fountain of brandy

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Like 2