Sign in to follow this  
Zenity

A Lack of honour and respect

40 minutes ago, Niki said:

Who is behind the theft, just so people can know? If you don't mind me asking.

They know who they are, I don't see the need to name and shame people, it's not as if they'll be selling Hota statues on Epic, and they can't exactly run off with their loot to Freedom.

It's not about what was taken, I don't see it as a theft, it's a pvp server, people are able to take items such as this, even when secured, if they are from enemy kingdoms, .

No, my point is that this was a senseless act, each of the items was clearly renamed as a tribute to the player the memorial was in honour of, Hota statues are not exactly rare or even very desirable on Epic, they were not locked away behind fences or walls, there was no conquest here, no spoils of war or loot from a dead enemy, they were taken because they were there, with no thought to why they were there, or for teh lulz.

I don't want memorials like this protected as |Heritage areas, that's not the point, it's not what I or many on Epic want, or generally approve of, No, for me this is a matter of honour and respect, we don't have to hate our enemies, we don't have to grief their deeds, drop dirt on their fields and slaughter their horses, the memorial was doing nothing other than honouring a player and friend to many on Serenity, ther was no reason to take those statues, other than willful ignorance, or deliberate malice, I prefer to err on the side of ignorance and lack of honour and respect.

• Like 2

Well welcome to Epic PvP.  While being new and running around a struggling low population server trying to find PvP we (couple others in BL) decide to go to JK lands and find some fights or deeds to raid or the stuff you normally do in Wurm PvP.  Second time around find no one around starter deed and I saw some statues and the area wasn't deeded.  Didn't think for a second it was a memorial for a person that played the game.  How am I supposed to know what the name was.  It's like seeing "paaweelr" for the first time.  I just saw trophies that were not deeded and came all this way I'm leaving with something.

Honestly if it was something important then it should have been deeded and not just out in the open.  While running from guards didn't even try to look at the naming on the hotas.  Not until I saw this thread did the message on the hota make sense.  Other than that it was free loot.

It's wrong for you to assume we (I) knew what was going on and all the long history and every single person that has played this game in the past.  If you say you knew who did it then why didn't you message me?

Next time make it a better memorial that seems more like a memorial and deed it or lose it (wurm moto).  Not trying to be an ######, but sorry and how supposed to know.  Do I ask people permission before taking things that are not deeded?  Do I ask to raid a deed on Epic?

I'm sorry for taking what I didn't know.  We'll be returning the statues.  We'll be in touch.

• Like 13

52 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

Well welcome to Epic PvP.  While being new and running around a struggling low population server trying to find PvP we (couple others in BL) decide to go to JK lands and find some fights or deeds to raid or the stuff you normally do in Wurm PvP.  Second time around find no one around starter deed and I saw some statues and the area wasn't deeded.  Didn't think for a second it was a memorial for a person that played the game.  How am I supposed to know what the name was.  It's like seeing "paaweelr" for the first time.  I just saw trophies that were not deeded and came all this way I'm leaving with something.

Honestly if it was something important then it should have been deeded and not just out in the open.  While running from guards didn't even try to look at the naming on the hotas.  Not until I saw this thread did the message on the hota make sense.  Other than that it was free loot.

It's wrong for you to assume we (I) knew what was going on and all the long history and every single person that has played this game in the past.  If you say you knew who did it then why didn't you message me?

Next time make it a better memorial that seems more like a memorial and deed it or lose it (wurm moto).  Not trying to be an ######, but sorry and how supposed to know.  Do I ask people permission before taking things that are not deeded?  Do I ask to raid a deed on Epic?

I'm sorry for taking what I didn't know.  We'll be returning the statues.  We'll be in touch.

I figured it was something like this. But people always jump to conclusions. 

Thanks for replying Nicedreams, and for taking the moral highground even though others did not. You, sir, are a better man than I.

This is something the community should handle, not GM’s.. glad to see the statues are being returned. 

8 hours ago, Mordraug said:

We'll bear that in mind if you ever meet an untimely end..... 

I'm not expecting a gm-protected memorial site if i die, rofl.

• Like 1

@nicedreamsThank you for your honesty, I'm prepared to accept the explanation you offer, and will accept your offer of return of the items taken, if you wish to PM me, or Jahpeople to arrange safe passage for the exchange I'm happy to facilitate that.

I think Nicedreams is probably lying tosave face but hell what do I know I haven't been playing as long as him as he should've known better kinda thing and anyhow deed it or lose it  is a losers way of stealing off of people in the care bear universe not a pvp motto more of a land grab for PVE players that are suckering newer pllayers in hence why he has several yers -playing more than me... and to think we are in the same alliance in PVE world I guess I will have to double lock down anything.. If you are telling the treuth then sorry and I am definitely glad the statues are being returned./. because as lowly as I am I would never steal or discredit or deface a memorial.. these people are our peers and for better or worse we are a small one minded community in essence so thanks for returning them for whatever reason.. and if you did knowingly deface a memorial shame on you.. cuz that's just bad politics for us./.

• Like 1

He could have stayed quiet and just not said a thing, that would be easier than to lie..

Edited by Mclavin

If the statues were named as such in memory of a player, there is no way people could not have known what they were taking.

1 minute ago, Mclavin said:

He could have stayed quiet and just not said a thing, that would be easier than to lie..

Not telling the truth is the same thing actually.

But nobody knew who it was, so he didn't need to lie or speak up or even give a story, so the fact he did and has said he is returning, atleast signs towards he is telling the truth.
So again, staying quiet was a lot more easier than needing to come out and lie about it.

imo, if somebody did this on purpose/knew what they were doing, they wouldn't speak up. 

But anyways, +1 to nicedreams for coming clean and returning. 

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, misskitty said:

https://imgur.com/a/EbjMA    https://imgur.com/a/TybNc     returned like we said we would and were really sorry i hope everyone can forgive us for it

I'd like to draw a line under this incident, I've accepted that the statues were taking in ignorance, and not with malicious intent.

SATIl9H.jpg

As can dimly be seen, the statues have been returned, and are now back much as they were, work will be done on the memorial itself to make it more obvious that it is a memorial, and not just some weird HOTA dispenser ;)

Thanks to the honesty of those involved, and the cooperation that is sometimes possible between enemies, this incident can now be regarded as closed.

• Like 10

While I applaud the honestly of the players involved and the mutual cooperation in returning the statues, I still think a GM-involved solution is needed going forward.  If memorials were placed within starter deeds, at least this drama would never be repeated.  Also, it would add a sense of history to the map when new players arrive at starter deeds to see those who have gone on memorialized in some respectful way.  If anything required GM intervention, I would think this would qualify.  It is sort of like the Freedom Heritage Site decisions.

• Like 3

How about a plaque with the name of person or person who its for in large letters?

You have signs now what would be so hard to do the same that one can add to a large rock face or even statue ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eyesgood said:

While I applaud the honestly of the players involved and the mutual cooperation in returning the statues, I still think a GM-involved solution is needed going forward.  If memorials were placed within starter deeds, at least this drama would never be repeated.  Also, it would add a sense of history to the map when new players arrive at starter deeds to see those who have gone on memorialized in some respectful way.  If anything required GM intervention, I would think this would qualify.  It is sort of like the Freedom Heritage Site decisions.

No.

38 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

No.

You forgot to pout and hold your breath.

20 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

You forgot to pout and hold your breath.

GM protected zones dont belong to pvp servers.

Even starter deeds were raided in the past.

1 hour ago, Zekezor said:

GM protected zones dont belong to pvp servers.

Even starter deeds were raided in the past.

You know, reflecting on this, it makes sense what Zeke says. The beauty of Epic is the freedom to do what you want. If you want to be a person reviled by the community, you have the freedom to take a maul and bash statues in a memorial site, or you can be recognized by everyone as you donate things of this nature for specific causes. The idea is that no matter what, there is the freedom to do whatever you want, consequences be damned.

As vile as an act of this nature may be percieved, in the end its just a bunch of pixels. Its a game intended to have fun and is nothing that cannot be replaced.

Going forward, perhaps someone should simply put up signs for others to see what it is. It lasted this long without being disturbed. I am sure that better signage would have prevented the guys who took it from taking it. I know these people and I really doubt any of them are so heartless as to intentionally deface a memorial to a dead player just to take a few worthless statues.

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Going forward, perhaps someone should simply put up signs for others to see what it is. It lasted this long without being disturbed. I am sure that better signage would have prevented the guys who took it from taking it. I know these people and I really doubt any of them are so heartless as to intentionally deface a memorial to a dead player just to take a few worthless statues.

Way ahead of you here, have already (tastefully) fenced the site in, and added some signage.

No, it won't prevent someone determined to remove the Hotas, or break the fences, but it at least serves to imply that the site is at least important enough to fence in. It should at least give anyone else time to contemplate why the colossus and statues are there.

I don't want the site artificially protected, I agree with Zeke, that starter deeds, as well as the rest of Epic, home servers or Elevation, should not be subject to artificial protection.

With regard to the players involved, I do believe that these statues were just grabbed 'on the run' as it were, that their intent was not malicious, and that if it been the case that the site was fenced in, as it is now, they'd not have bothered, seeing that it was fenced they'd have had time to wonder why, and realise that perhaps they should just leave it and look for easier, and less controversial, loot.

Perhaps the fact it did last as long as it did made me, and others, a little complacent, coupled with the previously low population we got lazy, so I hold my hands up to that.

• Like 2

Exactly. A fence and a gate allows for some protection as people would need to stop and bash/or lockpick before they loot. And anyone with two braincells to rub together would read the signs if time is not a factor. I think that would suffice. Our community is a good one, and very few, if any, are malicious enough to disregard all that.

...those who are though? Well those who are, they have nowhere to hide on Epic. We'll find them :)

• Like 1