Sign in to follow this  
Zenity

A Lack of honour and respect

While I'm sure not everyone will be interested in the goings on of PvP servers such as Serenity, it is with heavy heard, and not a little sadness that I found today that all the HOTA statues left in memory of a Wurm player who was well known and respected on Serenity have been removed by another kingdom.

The Paultrw Memorial has stood just north of Strongbox for quite some time now, in memory and respect of Paultrw, Wurm player, JK and all round nice guy, who passed a few years ago.

Now I know very well who visited the area recently, And those who took these tokens of respect and memory also know who they are, given the number of statues taken, it could only have been a group, and given that all statues were planted, it could only have been an enemy kingdom.

While I'm aware, and accept that on PvP servers items such as these can be taken as prizes, I personally would not have stooped as low as virtual desecration of a memorial of another player, be it same kingdom, or enemy, there are some things I consider beyond the pale in any game, and this sort of behaviour is just the sort of thing that I cannot stomach, nor I suspect is it something any player with the slightest sense of honour and decency will condone.

I'm not asking that these items be returned, I doubt those who are so bereft of honour they would do such a thing will feel any pangs of remorse, rather they'll look upon this post as reason to celebrate, to crow and strut that they upset someone who cares about things like this.

Yes, I'm deeply annoyed that such things as memorials to players who have passed away can be so easily and thoughtlessly vandalised, for a few HOTA statues that have no value to anyone on Serenity, other than the significance to those who planted them to honour and remember a fallen player.

You can't replace things like this, some of those who planted them no longer play, the respect they paid gone now with the messages they left for their friend and fellow player.

XwhvZBU.jpg

The Colossus remains, probably because it couldn't be taken, But the respect and honour shown cannot be replaced.

Congratulations, you've completely lost any claim to honour and respect your Kingdom could have made, there's no honour to be had in robbing from the dead, only a stain that time will not erase.

• Like 21

This is the kind of drama that has no place in any pvp game.  Perhaps the kind devs of Wurm will, in the future, provide assistance in establishing memorials within starter deeds so that there is never a danger of this happening again.

• Like 3

I find it to be a wholly disrespectful act. Looting a village for a few HoTA's is one thing, but stealing them from a memorial to a fallen player is...well....downright disgusting.

While well within the rules of the game, I would've hoped that the individuals who took these would have some degree of morals about them. Evidently not.

Words fail to describe the disappointment I feel in whoever took it upon themselves to take them. As Zenity mentioned, quite a few of the people who helped to create that memorial have since moved on from the game. I remember the group of us who banded together to put together something to commemorate our friend who passed a couple of years ago. I know the individuals from that group would also be disappointed in those who did this.

• Like 5

The Roman Republic will donate any hota statues you need to recreate this monument. Just send me a PM and we can organise a time and place for you to pick up. Let me know what type and how many you need.

• Like 18

Nothing will stop them taking them again. I would also look at JKH as the kingdom doing it as it's more likely somebody went to the hassle of moving them via wagon/carrying them than somebody on that server bringing a knar over/carry them off. 

New players/old players returning may join and just take them not knowing what it's about. There really isn't any "kingdom" who pvps who needs the statues and it would be considered a waste of their time tbh. 

Paul would spit on anyone trying restrict players on a sandbox game. Community can rebuild but keep staff out of this.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

This is the kind of drama that has no place in any pvp game.  Perhaps the kind devs of Wurm will, in the future, provide assistance in establishing memorials within starter deeds so that there is never a danger of this happening again.

We have, we do.  We merely need to speak with the friends or relatives to help setup a memorial.  Normally this involves a statue being made by the friends or relatives to be donated to the memorial, and a GM sign planted.  We have had a few memorials before.

• Like 14

We will work with GMs to set this up again so it can have some form of anti thieft protection, as it stands it will just repeat over and over.

Zenti, contact me or rudie via forums and we can donate any of the statues that were taken and if GM can protect the area once it's setup, that would be cool.

many JK players are now Rome and we played alongside Paul, so we're happy to help.

• Like 7

Just now, shankiest said:

Paul would spit on anyone trying restrict players on a sandbox game. Community can rebuild but keep staff out of this.

I'm not proposing restrictions, there are already restrictions on anyone from JK removing planted objects on home servers anyway, which is why I believe it could only have been a group of enemy kingdom players.

Deeded, or undeeded, JKH could not have removed them, since they were planted.

And as for keeping staff out of this, I'm also a player, I've played on Epic since November 2011, I knew Paul, I planted a HOTA statue as well, but this is not about statues, it's not about memorials, for me it's about the type of mentality that assumes that taking things of no value is somehow something to do with PvP, it's not.

I don't want such memorials protected by rules, only by a sense of decency and honour, it seems that this is lacking in the individuals, and the Kingdom they represent.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

Nothing will stop them taking them again. I would also look at JKH as the kingdom doing it as it's more likely somebody went to the hassle of moving them via wagon/carrying them than somebody on that server bringing a knar over/carry them off. 

New players/old players returning may join and just take them not knowing what it's about. There really isn't any "kingdom" who pvps who needs the statues and it would be considered a waste of their time tbh. 

As long as they're planted, I don't believe it's possible for a player of the same kingdom to take them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Firestarter said:

As long as they're planted, I don't believe it's possible for a player of the same kingdom to take them.

I can confirm that no one of the same kingdom can take them, or any other object planted by the same kingdom, even empty bsb's cannot be removed if planted, deeded or undeeded, only enemy kingdom players can.

• Like 1

Are you sure you can't Load an item that is planted off deed? use to be a work-around. Just to double check.

Doesn't matter, like you said whoever did this are basically just disrespecting the site. Let's get it fixed back up. Let me know whats needed and we can get it sorted for you.

Edited by Mclavin

Seems sad. But maybe dont judge so quick. what if the people didnt even know what ot meant? Maybe they thought it was just somebody who quit the game or left JK.. 

I'm really new to Epic. I have never known or met Paul, I might be even not played Wurm back those years. That memorial site made me asked about Paul from fellow players and thus giving some more insight into the history of Epic.

Finding memorial sites in Wurm really always move me, they show the respect amongst players which is unfortunately not so common in our real and gaming worlds.

It is a real shame this site has been ruined by anybody and any reason. Although it does not make a difference but I hope it was not an evil but an ignorant act where they didn't even realize the purpose of the site.

I think recreating the site would give the chance for later players to know about Paul and a bit of Wurm's history and I would be happy to take part in it.

• Like 8

Was the hotas named with messages?  Sorry to hear this happened Zenity.  

I'm terribly sorry someone trashed a memorial to a friend.

Why is there a public memorial on a no hold barred pvp server that's accessible to enemy raiders?

4 hours ago, Pingpong said:

I'm terribly sorry someone trashed a memorial to a friend.

Why is there a public memorial on a no hold barred pvp server that's accessible to enemy raiders?

Likely because there was no other 'safe' alternative location that could be used as a memorial spot.  Hopefully the devs will allow the replacement memorial to be placed somewhere inside Strongbox so this cannot be repeated in the future.

I am sure they can mark the area with GM signs and make it a Herritage Place. They do it all the time on Freedom for Canals. That alone should be enough. Why was this not done in the first place is beyond me.

I do not agree with gm-protected herritage sites on epic.

If a memorial is to be made then make it at the starter and with "regular" items.

And even then the starter deeds are raidable.

It was a shitty thing to be done but hota decorational statues in the end is a reward from hota/pvp.

What it really comes down to is that you choose to decorate with the statues in a way you saw fit. There shouldn't be staff magically protecting your way of using the decorative rewards on a pvp server.

21 hours ago, shankiest said:

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 6

43 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

If a memorial is to be made then make it at the starter and with "regular" items.

It was a shitty thing to be done but hota decorational statues in the end is a reward from hota/pvp.

What it really comes down to is that you choose to decorate with the statues in a way you saw fit. There shouldn't be staff magically protecting your way of using the decorative rewards on a pvp server.

We'll bear that in mind if you ever meet an untimely end..... 

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

I am sure they can mark the area with GM signs and make it a Herritage Place. They do it all the time on Freedom for Canals. That alone should be enough. Why was this not done in the first place is beyond me.

1 hour ago, Zekezor said:

Just so you are both aware, there are no Heritage Sites on the Epic servers, nor on Chaos. As far as I'm aware, there never has been either.

• Like 1

Just now, Firestarter said:

Just so you are both aware, there are no Heritage Sites on the Epic servers, nor on Chaos. As far as I'm aware, there never has been either.

22 hours ago, Enki said:

We have, we do.  We merely need to speak with the friends or relatives to help setup a memorial.  Normally this involves a statue being made by the friends or relatives to be donated to the memorial, and a GM sign planted.  We have had a few memorials before.

There is always a first time for things. Just because it has never been done it doesnt mean it cant be done. You have to be some kind of cold hearted animal to put signs to protect a gaudy looking canal but not a monument to a dead player.

I lost plenty of good friends along the years on Wurm and i would hate to have their memorials (large or small) desecrated.

It's not much of the matter of the value of the items, or that it's allowed, or that's it's PVP... it's a matter of respect and the unusual tight bonds we have on WurmOnline.

Unlike many others games, we are a small community and we know each others (to some extent) and that kind of behavior is a complete lack of respect, honor and any kind of decency.

• Like 5

Who is behind the theft, just so people can know? If you don't mind me asking.

2 hours ago, Zekezor said:

Agreed with this. It's really awful in every way that someone would desecrate such a site. but it makes even less sense to set up these GM protected zones for these cases on PvP servers.

As observed in this thread, the community is clearly willing to help restoring the site. That is exactly how it should work in a PvP server. No higher level of (GM) intervention is required.

• Like 5