Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Suggest food making traveling kits for me.

I'd like suggestions on how folks take food for traveling when your away from the deed for weeks at a time. I'm mainly interested in a food that can keep my calories maxed. Since I"m traveling I can't use FSB or the larder as they take up too much room in my wagon. I have room for one L.crate and about a third of it is for cotton.

I currently take some cotton and lettuce. I roast the meat I get hunting and make salads. I had planned to take pottery planters inside the wagon but it seems they don't work inside that container. 

Backpack full of Lunch Boxes?  While I don't leave home for weeks, for a day trip 2 Tin Lunch Boxes is usually enough for 12 hours or more for me.

Make a meal and some soup, to make it all stretch even longer.

Also keep 2 frying pans and 2 Sauce pans as well.

Fine Fishing rod for fresh meat away from home without needing to spend the time hunting and butchering.

A small collection of extra fishing lines and bow strings (if you use bows) as well for the list.

You could collect some of the recipes from Goblins or Trolls, such as rare Eye Ball Stew.  It does not take much to prepare it and most ingredients are received from hunting.

oh, liquid foods that can be sealed with a peg. I could probably make 10 of s.barrels containing some liquid food, seal them, and have never decay food for weeks if not months. Wonder what ones are actually liquid foods.

In north Xana you cannot go 20-50 tiles without something attacking you. Butchering is easy as I'm strong enough to carry a few corpses that I butcher-burry while traveling.

• Like 1

Stew and meat with dumplings, etc are all considered liquids.  Had not thought about the sealed barrels, could do sealed wine barrels as well and bring some delicious beverages as well if you go that route.

5 sealed barrels at 45kg each filled with a well made stew should be enough I think.  Take more if you think you might need them.  Also the liquid foods can be placed in a water skin if you move away from the cart or wagon.

Edited by Orsus

I like to travel light and be able to make meals underway. I am seldom gone for a week at a time though.

Every option you consider is skill dependent of course... YMMV.

I like to Carry a frying pan, knife, and mortar/pestle. The knife and mortar/pestle are very small and lightweight. Keep the pan in the wagon.

Butcher every now and then as you do now (or fish for meat). Forage/Botanize a few tiles (enough for 2 veggies and 2 herbs at least). This goes much faster at higher skills, but doesn't take long at low skills.

Chop every vegetable/herb that can be chopped, mince your one piece of meat, crush all your paprika/nutmeg/turmeric/etc throw in any nuts you might harvest (needs a sickle and seasonal) and throw it into the pan over a 1 kindling fire. Just let it cook while you do whatever you do after you park the wagon.

If you only have part of one crate for space in your wagon I'd take kindling with you so you don't have to mess with chopping trees for a quick meal.

Meals keep your bars up higher than salad. You can use salt or waxed paper to make them last longer (not necessary just to get CCFP up). Take the tools and live off the land; Enjoy!

Added: A lunchbox/picnic basket is nice to keep your meals hot, but I wouldn't bother unless you use affinity meals and want the most effect from eating them easily on the go.

Edited by Ackemi
Mo words

Nice all!

It appears that broth is the only liquid food that has the potential for "extremely nutritious". For me, hot 80 ql meat broth is taking my nutrition to 99%. As far as I can tell; all soups, stews, and goulashes have base nutritional values that prevent them from getting to the extremely-level.

Drinking beer is an option. I have enough skill that the drunkenness difficulty nerf isn't going to be a big deal. Is it possible to max ccfp with a single sip if a beer?  Cider, Wine and Meed are not possibilities as the ingredients are too difficult to mass farm, for me anyway.