Sign in to follow this  
Gaffer

Hireling NPC

The Hireling is a stationary NPC similar to a Merchant.  For pay the hireling produces low quality bulk goods like planks or bricks from raw materials.  The production cost should be significantly higher than hiring a real player to make the same goods.

Applying a Hireling contract (purchased from a Trader) to a Work Station creates the NPC.  The Work Station is a player created object composed of a BSB (for holding the raw materials), a large crate (for produced materials), a wooden table, and enough planks and nails to hold everything together.   When supplied with wages in the form of coins the Hireling begins producing the goods from the raw materials for a limited amount of time.

The intent is not to damage the market for bulk goods but to create a fun mechanic for populating workshops.  Hirelings occasionally joke, complain, talk about their work and tools, speculate about server events like rifts and unique spawns, criticize the skinflint boss (that's you), and otherwise chat to relieve the boredom of their repetitive work.  Their activity produces the same sawing, chipping, carving, etc. and entries in the event log as the same player activity.

The goal is to enliven work spaces that are usually empty and rarely have more than one person using them.

Details of which Hirelings know how to produce which products (I am inclined to require them to specialize to some degree), whether they require tools, and such matters I leave to your imagination.  I expect people will have lots of good ideas about those things.

• Like 3

More NPCs? The worlds seem kinda thin, and we already have traders, guards, and wagoners. Why not. :P

+1

sure, for 500 gold to make... i mean. no. sounds like a great WU mod, other than that, -1 for WO. 

-1 While I can see the intent here, you are bending over backwards to make this thing less than useful in order to maintain the economy.

Every other aspect of this NPC can be better performed and served by other players.