Sign in to follow this  
Hula_Girl

Rifts Location

The wiki article on Rift says "The location is random each time". However, on Celebration for at least several months it keeps appearing in center west, which brings some suspicion about randomness. So, what really dictates the location of the rift?

• Like 1

I'm not a wurm code diver but i'm betting deed density has something to do with it. I've noticed on Indy the rifts appear in about 5 regular areas, granted there has been the oddball Waaaay the F out there location.

Rifts on Exo also appear in a small number of locations because of how it decides deeds are far enough away.

On Deliverance we have had them in mostly the same four or five areas since they first started with a few outliers. Just recently after a slew of deeds going down they have started to move about a bit.

My vote is on Stormblade's density theory.

My understanding is rifts must be 50 tiles from a deed, and cannot spawn on a building tile. 

Since we post every rift in our forum, here is a distribution of all rifts since September 2016 on Independence:

QqQTOds.png

Edited by Finndar
  • Like 7

Finndar, thanks for the map - that's more what one should expect with random distribution. On Cele for some reason all these numbers would be grouped in center-western quarter of the map.

• Like 1

Can someone in-the-know put some clarification on this issue? Because again the rift is in the same region, and pretty close to a deed.

According to Retro last year (Dec. 22, nearly to the day!)

They spawn randomly on the server, chances are most areas it selects closer to the outside of the servers are more built up, or mountainous, both of which mean it rerolls for the location

I really like @Finndar's map.  To me, it still seems skewed to the east.

Couple threads out there regarding rift destruction but they didn't really shed light on choosing locations. 

• Like 1