Sign in to follow this  
BrimstoneVomit

Oh, Sensei

How do people feel about a combat tutoring function in WO?

My figuring is combat can be darn dangerous. If it's not the threat of being unaware of a creature's lethality, a toon can also be surprised, flanked or - let's just say it - caught with their pants down due to connectivity/server hiccups.

While the idea isn't to remove the tension of danger, it may be enriching to have a style and weapon training option that is more rewarding (and more interesting) than training dolls. With limitations, of course. 

- A tutor must be at least 50 skill in a weapon or stance, be a member of a deed with Tutoring perms granted.

- Tutor can only train other members of the same deed.

- The student can only be trained to a skill equal to half of the tutor's in a given weapon or combat stance.

- To train a weapon skill, both the student and tutor must have that weapon equipped. Same for stance being activated.

- A student will not be able to train weapons with a tutor if 2 weapon skills have reached skill 50.

A student cannot train more than 2 weapons skills through the tutor system.

- Also, student cannot train stance if 1 stance skill has reached 50.

- Also, student cannot train more than 1 stance through tutoring system.

- A maximum of 5 skill points can be increased per RL day - training dolls remain valuable to a point.

- Equipment and health damage possible depending on disparity of skill between student and tutor.

To visualize the process: A potential student joins the same village as their potential tutor. Both equip the same weapon type - for this example, long swords. The tutor right clicks the student, selects a newly available "Tutor (Long Sword)" action. The student's toon is permanently tagged as studying the Long Sword skill, which counts toward the 2-weapon limit as listed above. The student and tutor remain in combat proximity for a time, the student earning ticks for the tutored skill, with a very rare chance for the tutor to gain small ticks as well, provided they are not at max. This occurs until either move out of proximity, choose to stop, or the student gains 5 skill points.

More points may be added, but the above is the meat of it. The value isn't fully mechanical. I recall a former member of my village setting up their own stronghold with ample grounds with the intent of a fully armory. I imagine the roleplay value of a combative toon wanting to take time to relax at a village, but takes on protégés - for a fee, probably. Heck, if a tutor with 100 skill in a weapon trains someone up to 50, imagine a title or item that can be granted stating "Student of the Way of [tutor name]."

My two irons. May be more effort than it's worth, but I found it cool to think about.

Edited by BrimstoneVomit
  • Like 3

I think anything that makes combat training more enjoyable than the boring combat dolls, as well as encouraging higher level players to take newer players under their wing, is a good thing overall. 

It looks like you did a good job of thinking through a lot of the issues.

One question, do we want to discourage people from using their main to skill up an alt (since that is not really an veteran helping a newbie) or is that really not too important with all the other safeguards you suggest?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

One question, do we want to discourage people from using their main to skill up an alt (since that is not really an veteran helping a newbie) or is that really not too important with all the other safeguards you suggest?

I’m not terribly concerned, personally. Some folks are power gamers and will take whatever small exploit they can get. It can be fun to play with mechanics. As long as I use it as intended for immersion, I’m happy.

That said, I’m considering alterations to the list in OP. Capping a student at 2 weapon skills of 50 for training may result in all weapons skilled at ~49. It may be better to tag a toon for each skill that’s been trained for any amount by a tutor.

I’ll elaborate more when I’m home and not tapping on a phone. :P

There is also the other advantage that even if someone trains an alt, it means that this alt will have to have been paid for premium, and so Code Club can still get some silvers via the alt's prem.

13 hours ago, Fairyshine said:

There is also the other advantage that even if someone trains an alt, it means that this alt will have to have been paid for premium, and so Code Club can still get some silvers via the alt's prem.

A new point of sale? How enterprising... :)

Edited by BrimstoneVomit

You know, this is actually a cool and new idea. doesn't seem too OP, helps new players skill up, rewards both the game, business, players.... I think this is a pretty good idea.

I'll Give this one my +1

+1 for me, would allow for cool interactions between players both old and new and open an entirely new market for services rendered.

And credit must be given where it is due, your suggestion was entirely well thought out and extrapolated.

+1.

student could be part of alliance instead of deed perhaps? would allow people alone in their deed not to have to close it to get training( and since need to be in proximity anyway, wouldnt change much)

3 hours ago, Ekib said:

student could be part of alliance instead of deed perhaps? would allow people alone in their deed not to have to close it to get training( and since need to be in proximity anyway, wouldnt change much)

Having thought about it, maybe there isn't a good reason to limit the requirement to deed. I'd like it if the training was more effective if someone became part of the tutor's deed (or vice versa), to reflect a level of commitment, staying and working in the community, et cetera. But perhaps opening requirement to train at all to Alliance (or to anyone, for that matter) is fine.

Edited by BrimstoneVomit