Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

In keeping with Wurm as a living world, I'd like to see spirit avatars of active players showing up on deed when the player is offline. Walking past deeds and seeing no one in local is understandable, but feels wrong (someone should be there!). A spirit avatar could function as a kind of signpost in local (player X lives here), as well as an extra guard, to substitute for the player when offline.

This would be optional, and of course tied to premium, activity, and whether or not the player logged off on deed or not.

For PVP, I could also see the option to outfit the avatar with gear (that would drop on death), as well as scaling the avatar's stats with the player's stats (maybe have spirit squires all the way up to spirit dreadknights, or something :P ).

The extra guard thingy will probably meet some deaf ears, though I don't see much harm with it in PvE per se, but I'd love Wurm to appear a bit more lively.

Alternatively, Path of Insanity members of a certain rank could sleep walk and do whacky stuff on deed like fishing in a well/fountain, or meditate on cattle. (I know, too much work for too little gain. Just let me have some crazy ideas once in a while, too.)

While I love this idea in concept, It may add to lag issues since it would mean more processing requirements from the servers (go to an impalong and you'll see what I mean).

Sounds cool with the spin of showing the person that is asleep in the bed instead of it being empty while slept in and logged off.

Another idea is if someone logs off in the woods or a road they will sit down on the ground.  No creatures or anything can interact with them.

Mainly would just like to see people in beds if keeping people in the world.

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 1

Could add a glow or animation or model change to the bed if that what's desired @nicedreamsvs extra entities.

Yeah a -1, specially on pvp servers. Seeing how the ai works then logging off would mean free gear for others. Maybe make a new look for occupied bed with a person on it for it to look good, but thats it.

On 11/24/2017 at 9:22 PM, nicedreams said:

Sounds cool with the spin of showing the person that is asleep in the bed instead of it being empty while slept in and logged off.

Another idea is if someone logs off in the woods or a road they will sit down on the ground.  No creatures or anything can interact with them.

Mainly would just like to see people in beds if keeping people in the world.

I like this. Would be fun to wander around, and see in local "X player (sleeping)".  :)

For PVP, I'm thinking maybe you could log off at a token or guard tower, which would add your avatar as a spirit guard to the deed or location. This means you -don't- get sleep bonus, which seems like an interesting trade-off (although maybe not on Epic, since most players are grinding on Freedom :( ).

Note that your items would -not- be on the spirit avatar, so nothing to loot from its corpse.

It'd be nice to know that the deed is an active one. (played within 6 months), for that, the spectre wouldn't have to move.. no lag, use the same model for them all.

so, +½

My only qualm here would be griefing potential; if someone you dislike is logged off in the road, what is to stop you fencing them in with 5 angry crocs/hellhounds?

The idea of players as npcs while offline is something that would be beneficial to look into, especially if it were only an option for premium accounts.  Offering some reward for such accounts (other than sleep bonus) might also be worthwhile (for example, a free high QL (= woodcutting skill+1?) log when you log in if you log out as a lumberjack (5 hour minimum wait), or maybe a written recipe for a dish if you log out cooking).

Dispersing the area somewhat (i.e. placing the toon within 5x5 of where the player logged out) and also leaving the option to just vanish while logged out for PvP purposes would address some qualms.  This also leaves open things such as logging out as a vehicle passenger etc.

Overall though, it would:

1)  Remove the ghost-town feeling when travelling (even seeing a random ai in the field seemingly tending the same tile forever is better than seeing empty fields)

2)  Allow for better home location selections (if you can see an area that is densly populated, you could move on)

3)  Give players an extra incentive to premium (little daily rewards, nothing a player couldn't do within 10 mins themselves)