Middi

Changes to Character Affinities

[14:27:52] Woahiii slain by Oblivionnreaver 
[14:28:02] Woahiiiii slain by Oblivionnreaver 
[14:28:13] Woahii slain by Oblivionnreaver 
[14:28:42] Woahiiiiii slain by Oblivionnreaver 
[14:28:47] Woahiiii slain by Oblivionnreaver 
[14:28:58] Woahi slain by Oblivionnreaver 

I'm sure this will be deeply unpopular with plenty of folks but... every time I see this it irritates me to the point that I want to use a lot of profoundly offensive language that cannot possibly be posted in here without a stern warning or ban.

I propose that affinities should only be obtainable from characters that have had premium for 1 year consecutively without even a days lapse or alternatively remove them all together, we have affinity food now, why do we need this too, especially when it is abused to such an absurd level and with the introduction of purchasing smaller amounts of premium time the cost of this activity just got even cheaper.

Nothing personal against the player in the time stamps, just happened to be the soul crossing from freedom to chaos to farm at this particular moment in time.

• Like 7

45 minutes ago, Middi said:

[14:27:52] Woahiii slain by Oblivionnreaver 
[14:28:02] Woahiiiii slain by Oblivionnreaver 
[14:28:13] Woahii slain by Oblivionnreaver 
[14:28:42] Woahiiiiii slain by Oblivionnreaver 
[14:28:47] Woahiiii slain by Oblivionnreaver 
[14:28:58] Woahi slain by Oblivionnreaver 

I'm sure this will be deeply unpopular with plenty of folks but... every time I see this it irritates me to the point that I want to use a lot of profoundly offensive language that cannot possibly be posted in here without a stern warning or ban.

I propose that affinities should only be obtainable from characters that have had premium for 1 year consecutively without even a days lapse or alternatively remove them all together, we have affinity food now, why do we need this too, especially when it is abused to such an absurd level and with the introduction of purchasing smaller amounts of premium time the cost of this activity just got even cheaper.

Nothing personal against the player in the time stamps, just happened to be the soul crossing from freedom to chaos to farm at this particular moment in time.

Another suggestion would be to introduce a cap of say 5 affinities for example, people having 200+ affinities and up to 5 in any one given skill is ridiculous in itself, especially if they live on freedom and have no possibility to loose them other than when you cross to chaos to farm when the pop is 8 or something at the time...

To ensure people with affinities above that number do not have a permanent advantage perhaps affinities could have a life span of say 3 months and then you lose them.

When you have 0 affinities then one respawn as normal.

Edited by Middi

Yeah seeing that today made alot of us cringe on chaos. The odd one never bothered me much but that just seemed excessive. With alts now costing 2s each for the first month you could make a bunch and they take their affinities essentially for 2s each.

I would say maybe change it so a character must be over a month old to get their affinity from them? That will stop players from getting affinities for 2s and will have to spend at least 12s. I know that won't stop some of the other affinity farmers but it will prevent more of this new extreme farming.

• Like 1

Just pump up the verification to at least 3 months of prem so it's not worth making alts for it...

12 minutes ago, Iberis said:

With alts now costing 2s each for the first month you could make a bunch and they take their affinities essentially for 2s each.

If you sold the affinity for 6.5s alts would only cost 1.5s before, nothings changed.

Uh, yes.... the cost of making an army of affinity alts has changed, hence the discussion.

Additionally, the skill requirement to lose an affinity could also be raised (isn't it 20 fight right now?). -Maybe- make it so that you need to be at least 20 in the affinity skill, too....

• Like 2

It's gotten 50 copper more expensive.

6.5s back from selling referral

2s from first time prem

8.5s back

Premium costs 10 silver, minus 8.5 silver you get back it costed 1.5 silver back then, and now costs 2 silver.

If you cap affinities you hurt the true pvp pop. 

I think making a rule against it is enough. I can't really think of ways in terms of mechanics that rewards the fights but doesn't reward alt farming 

• Like 1

I don't care about selling referrals or sleep powders.  When I say "cheaper", I'm referring to the initial cost.  2s each makes it a lot easier for someone (hell, everyone) to spam 40-50 alts and fill their main account with affinities.

1 minute ago, Mclavin said:

If you cap affinities you hurt the true pvp pop. 

I think making a rule against it is enough. I can't really think of ways in terms of mechanics that rewards the fights but doesn't reward alt farming 

How does it hurt the PvP population?  You PvP for drake, scale and salt, not affinities.  

In all seriousness, I agree with you though.... there's no easy way to control this without screwing over people that don't deserve it.

Edited by Wargasm

Don't tell me what i pvp for, i had none of that on epic, one of the biggest thrills besides the loot is seeing a cool affinity pop up on your skill tab, it's the most common question in tc after a fight, "what affinities did we get?" 

So yeah, i 1000% do not want to see a cap on affinities i earn properly, it's part of the reward and i or others shouldn't be punished for playing properly. 

I actually preffer killing players instead of eating meals for any affinity I want, are we going to cap how many affinity cooking can give???? 

This just needs a clear rule. That way those who are out to pvp get thier reward and those who are alt farming get punished. This way you won't feel undervalued as a pvper getting the affinities and they can return to almost feeling like a badge of honour again. 

Edited by Mclavin

Call it abuse, forbid it by the rules and punish the offenders. It is simple as that. Alt killing strikes like that are very obvious for GMs judge. Very likely if GMs would bother they could already see this is abuse and certainly against the spirit of game features.

Besides that, pmks could already agree to remove such abusers from their ranks too.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

makes it a lot easier for someone (hell, everyone) to spam 40-50 alts and fill their main account with affinities.

I mean, with no horse it takes over an hour to get 20fs on a new account, 2+ if you're on indy/xana with messed up mob spawns, training dummies i used 5 hours of sb on wtih a 90coc shaft and got 16fs with another alt repairing and placing the new dummies the whole time so that's not really an option. If someones taken the time to grind all those accounts to 21fs just for random 10% affinities, it's time wasted that they could have just grinded the skill itself with, and chances are you wont even get anything useful. No point doing it unless you're just collecting affinities for fun like i am.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

Just now, Oblivionnreaver said:

I mean, with no horse it takes over an hour to get 20fs on a new account, 2+ if you're on indy/xana with messed up mob spawns, training dummies i used 5 hours of sb on wtih a 90coc shaft and got 16fs with another alt repairing and placing the new dummies the whole time so that's not really an option. If someones taken the time to grind all those accounts to 21fs just for random 10% affinities, it's time wasted that they could have just grinded the skill itself with. No point doing it unless you're just collecting affinities for fun like i am.

This has always been the worst side of Wurm, and I thought it was once against the rules for PvP players to farm affinities from alts like this? Why should it be allowed for Freedom players, that can't lose them? The whole point of affinities is that it is a perk of PvP, they shouldn't even be valid outside a PvP server.

It should be a bannable offence, its the dumbest thing ever to allow.

• Like 1

It should be classed as an exploit. Your giving yourself perm 10% gain by using alts and not how it is intended 

Hell  yeah thanks for the idea. gonna go make 10 alts, farm the affinities, wait a couple weeks, see what new ones they get and get those as well till their premiums run out.  ( being totally sarcastic to the absurdity of this type of crap )

• Like 2

It's something that's always bothered me. Affinity farming is stupid and should be a punishable offense.

• Like 3

Really hope that there is something to stop this :( Affinities should be kept as a pvp reward. This is essentially an exploit.

• Like 2

Maybe change the requirements to 50fs from 20fs. 

That shouldn't hurt PVP too much as most people who take it seriously are at least 70fs,

It also encourages people to try pvp (since they wouldn't lose their affinity as easily)

And makes it a bit harder for the casual alt farmer

I'm generally not in favour of implementing soft rules that a member of staff has to implement just because I think they give up enough of their game time/free time as it is. Oh, and all the drama that can come with that.

• Like 1

I actually really like the idea of lifting it to 50fs. That will make it harder for affinity farmers. Though it would be nice for some kind of rule that says - don't do it.

It doesn't help it just puts in a higher requirement. These people will do it. It needs to be a rule to deter people from even wanting to raise 20fs  to alt farm in the first place

-1 I guess I figure the doors fell off the alt farming barn years and years ago. Why bother trying to prop them up with artificial steps now?