Sign in to follow this  
Antalach

The mysterious case of the disappearing Fog Spiders

Fog billows across the lake. The great bell, known locally as "BONG" rings out it's warning.  The Fog is upon us, beware! The world closes in, the light fails, colours drain, threats real and imagined creep about. Sailors beware lest you lose your way and you land crawlers don't think you will be spared, for the Fog spawns  Fog Spiders! 

Even the weather brings threats in the land of Wurm.

Err at least that's how it was meant to be was it not? 

Only where are they?

• Like 1

Feels like there has just been a lot less fog these days compared to when they were first released.

Killed one on Xanadu yesterday. First one I've seen in quite a while, though.

I'm betting since coastal deeds are spread out up and down the coasts, fog spiders can't spawn in deeds, that they're further inland.

The ones I have encountered are usually 30+ tiles away from the coast, and coastal deeds.

Good riddance to those pests! Although I doubt that they have been completely eliminated from WO. I know on some WU servers they were the cause of a lot of lag and intentionally modded out from them.

=Ayes=

I think they spawn, and then after a certain period, die. Because I've seen a few at random age corpses laying about, and I live in a massive dead zone (spawns + people) so there isn't likely to have been someone by to kill them. Or I've seen their corpse up on the mountain by my place. I think it may have been intended to imply that they can't survive long after the fog is gone. Have killed about 7 around here also. (Also, when fighting you, they do an obnoxious teleport away thing that sometimes throws them far enough away that they can't see you, and if you're in a forest you can't always find them again.) One of them I killed just about a week back...so they are around, just sparse...

I miss the little buggers as well, ages since I last seen one.

Only met about 3 in all my 1-2 years playing Wurm... last time was several months ago. They are a rare encounter indeed but it is also true that i didn't happen to travel around or look specifically for them during foggy weather.

The first times i had to run since i was weaker than them. Then fought one... if the fight prolongs too much they will disappear as soon as the fog is gone.

Fog spiders used to spawn on deed and even in houses at first. And they don't disappear but teleport behind you or abit further away if they start taking a lot of damage in fights.

yea, don't see um nearly as much, but they are still around.  There was one wandering around outside my deed about 2 weeks ago. 

On 12/3/2017 at 0:37 AM, Talohan said:

... And they don't disappear but teleport behind you or abit further away if they start taking a lot of damage in fights.

Oh, they do disappear ...

I was fighting a fog spider some months ago, it took some damage, it disappeared, I threw a get-info (lists all hostile mobs in local), no fog spider anywhere in local.