Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

One-click queue filling

"And you want to use high QL tools, not low QL, so that means even faster actions. I like keeping stress levels low."   

and your gains too it would seem

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thorgot said:

This post is hilarious. Thank you for giving me a laugh.

A competitor or an elitist might find Wurm's low population entertaining, but I do not.

4 hours ago, Yiraia said:

I'm telling you your eyes have not witness enough, or is refusing to grasp anything that refutes your current beliefs.

I'm seeing more and more via this conversation, but only to enhance my previous observations. :)

what???

Definitions of idle:

1. (of a person) avoiding work; lazy. <--- Adjective

2. without purpose or effect; pointless. <--- Adjective

3.(of a person) spend time doing nothing; be idle. <--- Verb

Can you bring me the wikipedia article stating what idle gaming is. Id like to see their sources and find these gaming scientists that reached to this definition XD

You can thank Brew for this link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_game

This is their primary definition:

Incremental games (also known as idle games, clicker games, or clicking games) are video games whose gameplay consists of the player performing simple actions such as clicking on the screen repeatedly ("grinding") to earn currency.[1

That definition applies to a great many game elements in Wurm. I'm not stuck on lawyering the word "idle"; that was just a term others threw at me, so I wielded it right back. :P

The functionality of repetitive, mindless clicking, however, I do abhor (which ought to be no surprise by now :P ).

Thats just your experience, again... If a person is very busy all of a sudden, they will adopt an idle gaming style where they can only perform tasks like meditation. If this person were to come on the wurm forums, they would be informed that there is more to do than meditate. This is what we are saying to you. You agree that there is plenty to do on a crafter, and im sure you would realize how silly it is to say a crafter is idle gaming, even though they only meditate.

lol seriously though whut is dis page.

Well again, where are the majority of players.

85+ effective... Does that mean 85 after the curve epic has, along with the faster xp they offer? 62 for the additional xp still sounds really slow. Also, keep in mind where the majority of wurm players are.

Yes it is getting in the way. You can't define a priest as idle gaming as long as there are players out there that play priest while not being idle. Its simply incorrect.

Yes, it's 86 effective now after the curve, which is pretty nice, and given that I very much respect the laws of diminishing returns, I'm not stuck on improving that right away (though it's certainly on my list for later).

Again, the whole "idle gaming" phrase was thrown at me, so I just co-opted it. :P Nevertheless, after reading the Wikipedia article provided to me by that helpful detractor Brew ( :) ), I'm convinced that much of Wurm qualifies for that dubious appellation, not simply priests.

Anywho, here is my definition of idle from wikitionary. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/idle And it describes exactly how your priest is being treated. 

You really don't seem to understand the fact that you keep stating "I dont see why priest should be played like this, I like it like this." While I am stating "Because you chose to play like that, doesnt define the character as that." If you idle you priest, then your method of gaming for priest is idle gaming, no question :) But if my method of playing a priest is not idling, then priest can't not be define as idle gaming characters. You seem to not grasp that one concept.

Again, it's not a question of how -I- play a priest, but of how the game mechanics steer people developing their priests.

Sermons are the most obvious idleness-rewarding, faith-building mechanic, if nothing else because in a good sermon circle, folks will leave alts online to help other people. I had the privilege of being part a sermon circle for a short time, and I never saw so many alts standing around (which we all appreciated). :)

Faith gain and gems via prayers also reward leaving priests standing at altars (especially since gems are great for channelling grinding, at least on Epic), and if you're playing a main and don't get back to fill the prayer queue all the time, well the favor gain is nice and helps channelling grinding, especially if you're developing a battery and can link the favor from both to one! (Need I mention how idle the batteries will largely be?)

Bottom line, the mechanics encourage new players with new priest alts to stand in front of altars, for likely at least a month, which is quite a bit of premium time. They won't start with the gameplay experience of a priest who has 100 faith and great channelling and the opportunity to explore other things.

Do you really think presenting that information to new players is inaccurate? Instead of hiding that, I'd rather see it improved.

4 hours ago, armyskin said:

"And you want to use high QL tools, not low QL, so that means even faster actions. I like keeping stress levels low."   

and your gains too it would seem

Maybe on Freedom, but that's not how Epic works any more. You want high QL gear for best gains, because a 1-100 roll is skillgain, so the higher the tool QL, the fewer fails you'll get.

9 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Maybe on Freedom, but that's not how Epic works any more. You want high QL gear for best gains, because a 1-100 roll is skillgain, so the higher the tool QL, the fewer fails you'll get.

are you certain? difficulty doesnt come into play for any skills anymore?

1 hour ago, armyskin said:

are you certain? difficulty doesnt come into play for any skills anymore?

From Retro:

Skillgain is based on success, not per 1-40 result. This means ticks will be smaller on average

Later Retro defined success as 1-100 results.

The only skills I can think of that seem to scale gains with difficulty are shield skills (ticks seem to be bigger from harder mobs).

For priests, because which spell you cast makes no difference on skillgain, but casting length -does- make a difference, this means that you want low favor cost + long cast time, so vesseling by far gives you the most gains for your favor. I do notice, though, that vesseling doesn't give you much other than channelling (usually no stats, very little religion even), as opposed to normal spells, so it does have a downside besides burning gems.

If you don't have gems to burn, then for Vyn the best grinding spell is Opulence and for Fo is Morning Fog. (I've used Morning Fog to grind my Fo prime to effective 71+ now, just using free favor regen + free saccing from meals from my main's HFC grinding + linked favor from my Fo battery. I haven't started vesseling yet; maybe I will once he hits 50 faith and can get his own gems. :) )

Note also that now on Epic if you are lower than 20 actual in a skill, any result gives you skillgain. This makes it easy to jumpstart any skill (especially skills like AH).

(Of course, all this is overshadowed by skilling on Freedom being good for Epic, and then getting curve-boosted to boot.)

Success at 1-100??? along with double xp... Then I agree that the benefits from being idle on epic are OP for priest, and barely useful for freedomers. Now that you mention it though, Im probably going to head over there and grind my channel skill, then head back. Its not considered abuse right? I'll join your idle priest life in the OP islands.

17 hours ago, Yiraia said:

Success at 1-100??? along with double xp... Then I agree that the benefits from being idle on epic are OP for priest, and barely useful for freedomers. Now that you mention it though, Im probably going to head over there and grind my channel skill, then head back. Its not considered abuse right? I'll join your idle priest life in the OP islands.

You can't pull channelling on Epic back to Freedom. But anything you do on Freedom comes to Epic, and -then- gets the curve boost. Balance, I guess. :P

All the same, aren't these mechanics true on Freedom?

- Prayer gives faith on cooldowns;

- Prayer gives soul stats (it's the most efficient way I've found to grind them, and supposedly soul stats help with enchanting, though I have no way to confirm that);

- Prayer gives gems at 50+ faith;

- Altars are the place to sac for channel grinding;

- Altars are the place to preach;

- Altars provide domain which helps with regen and casting.

Until my priests have enough faith/channelling to do other things, I really feel constrained by the mechanics to standing at altars, and only occasionally breaking for farming/meditation. Gems are so good to get, too, that even at high faith levels standing at an altar praying seems like a really efficient activity (favor regen + gem chance + soul stats).

If that's not true on Freedom, and only on Epic, then I'll grant the standing around thing is Epic-only. ;)

4 hours ago, Roccandil said:

You can't pull channelling on Epic back to Freedom. But anything you do on Freedom comes to Epic, and -then- gets the curve boost. Balance, I guess. :P

Awww man thats a bummer. Those gains on epic are wayyyyy easier.

All the same, aren't these mechanics true on Freedom?

- Prayer gives faith on cooldowns;

- Prayer gives soul stats (it's the most efficient way I've found to grind them, and supposedly soul stats help with enchanting, though I have no way to confirm that);

- Prayer gives gems at 50+ faith;

- Altars are the place to sac for channel grinding;

- Altars are the place to preach;

- Altars provide domain which helps with regen and casting.

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and casting yes. I did not know it helps with regen.

Until my priests have enough faith/channelling to do other things, I really feel constrained by the mechanics to standing at altars, and only occasionally breaking for farming/meditation. Gems are so good to get, too, that even at high faith levels standing at an altar praying seems like a really efficient activity (favor regen + gem chance + soul stats).

If that's not true on Freedom, and only on Epic, then I'll grant the standing around thing is Epic-only. ;)

On epic, I can totally understand why you feel constrained. But on freedom, idle favor is not enough to grind channel. (Some say its possible with 1 alignment, I have yet to try). That being said, a crafter can do his own thing, and a priest can work on their own thing. Then both can help one another complete their tasks. I was told soul stats only contribute to attack spells (soul strength that is). Favor regen from praying is not that good for channel grinding on freedom. Gems are also also obtainable through other means, and give more reliable ql. Spend your time how you choose, on Freedom I would rather grind mining near an altar. That way I can pray every 20 minutes and get high mining skill to provide high quality mats for my crafter. Mining would also provide the gems (at usually at a much higher quality assuming you are mining in a place you can easily mine)

If it weren't for the skillgain every action on epic, Idling around would be super in efficient. It still is an Epic-only thing.

21 minutes ago, Yiraia said:

Awww man thats a bummer. Those gains on epic are wayyyyy easier.

yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, and casting yes. I did not know it helps with regen.

I'm actually not sure it helps with regen now; I don't know where I saw that. Could be I misread something, and I haven't tried to confirm or deny it myself.

On epic, I can totally understand why you feel constrained. But on freedom, idle favor is not enough to grind channel.

Well, on my Vyn priest, I consider idle favor a bonus; I -have- done quite a bit of serious channel grinding for her in saccing sessions. (Although, for all I know favor regens faster on Epic, too.)

Since my new Fo prime has a battery, the effective double regen has been enough for grinding so far. I don't know how good double regen would be on Freedom.

(Some say its possible with 1 alignment, I have yet to try). That being said, a crafter can do his own thing, and a priest can work on their own thing. Then both can help one another complete their tasks. I was told soul stats only contribute to attack spells (soul strength that is).

I've heard contrary information on that, all from vets. :P I honestly have no idea if or how much stats help; I just assume they matter. (I wish the effects of stats and skills weren't so hidden; I'd love to know how much effect the parent skills, have, for instance. For that matter, I'd love to know what my hit points are. :( )

Favor regen from praying is not that good for channel grinding on freedom. Gems are also also obtainable through other means, and give more reliable ql. Spend your time how you choose, on Freedom I would rather grind mining near an altar. That way I can pray every 20 minutes and get high mining skill to provide high quality mats for my crafter. Mining would also provide the gems (at usually at a much higher quality assuming you are mining in a place you can easily mine)

Yeah, if I had mining-capable priests, I could see that. Low-QL gems are still great for grinding, though (I just burn them with Vessel, which is the single-best channel-grinding spell on Epic).

If it weren't for the skillgain every action on epic, Idling around would be super in efficient. It still is an Epic-only thing.

I'm not sure I follow. Freedom's timers may be longer and require 1-40 rolls to get gains, but the basic requirements are the same: pray to get faith, cast spells to get channelling.

Sounds, though, like the half-speed timers on Freedom plus low QL tools make it very easy to fill time with queued actions, and leave toons doing something useful while you play a different toon. (Ironically, that's a form of "idle gaming", at least according to Wikipedia. :P )

The pace on Epic is frantic in comparison. The quick action timers (and the need to use high QL tools to get skill ticks from success) make it very hard to avoid idling on multiple toons even if you want to keep them busy; they burn through their action queues so quickly. The devs should really double queue size on Epic to go with the action timer speed. ;)

Note that since Epic skillgains are adjusted for that timer speed, you don't get much skill unless you can keep toons constantly busy, and the more toons you have, the harder that gets. I've accepted that keeping all mine busy is impractical for me, and I do what I can. :) I just need the priests for very specific things, anyhow, and if I can get them to do that one job, that's good enough.

1 hour ago, Roccandil said:

Yeah, if I had mining-capable priests, I could see that. Low-QL gems are still great for grinding, though (I just burn them with Vessel, which is the single-best channel-grinding spell on Epic).

So are high ql gems, you just have to put yourself at low favor and grind vessel. very easy to cast bless if your favor is high up.

I'm not sure I follow. Freedom's timers may be longer and require 1-40 rolls to get gains, but the basic requirements are the same: pray to get faith, cast spells to get channelling.

I'm talking about channeling, because you have the idea that priest are really good to play while being idle. However, I am seeing that they are simply amazing on epic to play as idle characters, while on freedom, working makes it a lot easier. Over here on freedom, we have to cast spells with the appropriate difficulties in order to get between 1-40 to gain skill. At higher levels with decent alignment, you need higher difficulty spells to cast. These spells tend to cost 35+ favor. waiting for 35 favor all the time with idle favor would be crazy. Praying for the gems to grind would also be very slow/luck reliant. At that point, you must collect stuff to sacrifice. If you want your crafter to grind his skills, he continues that. The priest can farm and chop vegs to make their own favor. This is where all the work comes in for freedomers. If you get skill at 1-100 then difficulty is no longer a part of the question. All you need to do is grind bless or any other spell with a timer 10+ and low favor cost. Going from 0-5 is 40 seconds. 0-10 is 150 seconds. 0-35 is 30ish minutes (rounding down to be generous).... Your world really does favor sitting around and doing nothing for priest. Not our world.

Note that since Epic skillgains are adjusted for that timer speed

are you saying that the additional skillgain is to accommodative for the timer speed? Because if so, that shouldnt be true. faster time = more stuff to get stuff faster and enjoy using it.

-1 this is macro'ing in sheeps clothing. Try playing the game, we've (who have _Played_ our characters up to 80's and 90's) came this far, so having newcomers just get auto win, is not great.

imhotbhloletc

Edited by Marlon

-1, Probably time to tone down on those nit picking essays and just play the dam game.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Yiraia said:

So are high ql gems, you just have to put yourself at low favor and grind vessel. very easy to cast bless if your favor is high up.

I'm talking about channeling, because you have the idea that priest are really good to play while being idle. However, I am seeing that they are simply amazing on epic to play as idle characters, while on freedom, working makes it a lot easier. Over here on freedom, we have to cast spells with the appropriate difficulties in order to get between 1-40 to gain skill. At higher levels with decent alignment, you need higher difficulty spells to cast. These spells tend to cost 35+ favor. waiting for 35 favor all the time with idle favor would be crazy. Praying for the gems to grind would also be very slow/luck reliant. At that point, you must collect stuff to sacrifice. If you want your crafter to grind his skills, he continues that. The priest can farm and chop vegs to make their own favor. This is where all the work comes in for freedomers. If you get skill at 1-100 then difficulty is no longer a part of the question. All you need to do is grind bless or any other spell with a timer 10+ and low favor cost. Going from 0-5 is 40 seconds. 0-10 is 150 seconds. 0-35 is 30ish minutes (rounding down to be generous).... Your world really does favor sitting around and doing nothing for priest. Not our world.

are you saying that the additional skillgain is to accommodative for the timer speed? Because if so, that shouldnt be true. faster time = more stuff to get stuff faster and enjoy using it.

Ah, I see what you're saying. On Epic, if the spell take double the time to cast, you get double skillgain. What you really want is favor efficiency (less favor for longer casts), so for Fo, Morning Fog is 10 seconds for 5 favor. The only spell better is Vessel, 30 seconds for 5 favor against a less than 10 QL gem.

(My first priest, by the way, is a farmer at 80+ effective, so that's still a good thing on Epic. :) )

16 hours ago, Marlon said:

-1 this is macro'ing in sheeps clothing. Try playing the game, we've (who have _Played_ our characters up to 80's and 90's) came this far, so having newcomers just get auto win, is not great.

imhotbhloletc

Mindless, repetitive clicking isn't playing. It's idle gaming, after all. :P

And the idea that "we had to click X times to level our skills, so everyone else should as well" is exceedingly elitist, and I am against it.

24 minutes ago, cccdfern said:

-1, Probably time to tone down on those nit picking essays and just play the dam game.

How I choose to spend my time is my business. :) And for your information, I simply suggested we reduce mindless clicking, and the elitists came out, teeth bared.

Lets make automation possible... Oh and remove skills. Also lets remove all these excessive materials and make neat, simple patterns we can make stuff with. While at it, lets make it possible to run faster. Oh and lets reduce this mess of things you need to complete a single craft. 

Actually, I think I'll go play Ark.

-1 to this suggestion. If you cant play multiple characters, then dont.

Edited by Angelklaine

On 12/25/2017 at 5:36 PM, cccdfern said:

Probably time to tone down on those nit picking essays and just play the dam game.

Idk about you, but having a conversation/debate with somebody is much more amusing than clicking on a button over and over and over. But thats probably because i'm very social.

• Like 1

No macroing whatsoever. And i can handle my premium alts well. Nobody says they need to operate both at full speed. I usually let the alt do something that can be done easily in background, such as mining. Thats good enough.

Once upon a time i levelled a dancer (not sure what the real class name was) in Star Wars Galaxies within 2 days to max by just using the built in macroing. And that is fun how? Geezus!

On 12/25/2017 at 9:02 PM, Angelklaine said:

Lets make automation possible... Oh and remove skills. Also lets remove all these excessive materials and make neat, simple patterns we can make stuff with. While at it, lets make it possible to run faster. Oh and lets reduce this mess of things you need to complete a single craft. 

Actually, I think I'll go play Ark.

-1 to this suggestion. If you cant play multiple characters, then dont.

As far as I'm concerned, this is elitist.

Note that I condensed my suggestions to "one-click queue-filling", which already exists for crafting (and imping, if you're imping enough items, you can sort by imp type and use the select feature; thanks to those who suggested that! very nice).

Holding a key down to queue-fill actions is clunky, so an action window is really the most "revolutionary" one-click, queue-filling suggestion. If you can't handle that, well... :P

On 12/27/2017 at 4:53 AM, Wyndolm said:

Once upon a time i levelled a dancer (not sure what the real class name was) in Star Wars Galaxies within 2 days to max by just using the built in macroing. And that is fun how? Geezus!

Exactly. Mindless clicking masks lack of content. ;)

But I'm curious: how much did you play that character after levelling to max? Was the point the levelling itself, or was being max level actually a requirement to go out and play?

There are so many implications to automated actions. For one it would destroy the market since everyone can prem an alt and get 100 (insert skill here) while playing whatever on their main, or even playing other games. It will also completely undermine every other player who actually put effort into their characters.

No, its not elitist. Its realist. You want to play star wars or WoW on Wurm. What you fail to see is that in Wurm, crafting is not a minigame you do to make money or make gear: crafting is the actual game. Its everything Wurm is. If you automate that, then you are automating the whole game. So whats the point?

On 12/28/2017 at 0:48 PM, Angelklaine said:

There are so many implications to automated actions. For one it would destroy the market since everyone can prem an alt and get 100 (insert skill here) while playing whatever on their main, or even playing other games. It will also completely undermine every other player who actually put effort into their characters.

One-click queue filling would in no way have the effect you describe. Even automating actions for the duration of a single stamina bar (like levelling) wouldn't have that effect.

No, its not elitist. Its realist. You want to play star wars or WoW on Wurm. What you fail to see is that in Wurm, crafting is not a minigame you do to make money or make gear: crafting is the actual game. Its everything Wurm is. If you automate that, then you are automating the whole game. So whats the point?

Automation is inherently effective applied to repetitive actions. It's much less useful applied to diversity-dense systems; at some point, the up-front cost of the automation isn't worth the long-term gain.

Thus, if the whole of Wurm -could- be automated, as you suggest, that indicates Wurm is inherently repetitive (and an idle game).

But, it isn't. Grinding is repetitive, sure, but grinding isn't the game; rather, it's an obstacle to playing the game. That is, skill levels are gameplay-capability gates. I need level X in skill Y to do Z (whether it be imp a weapon to 80 or build three-story houses), but getting level X requires clicking a button thousands of times.

The clicking, however, is largely valueless noise. The real issue is time: it should take X time in absolute days to get to Y skill. Reducing clicks is a problem when it decreases the absolute time required to get Y skill. It's not a problem, however, when it -doesn't- reduce the absolute time. It's isn't the clicks to get 100 that protects the market, it's the time. Time enforces specialization. (Should I bold that? :P )

Really, how much does it matter how many clicks are required to grind? Why is keeping that number high so important to you all?

The idea that a new player should be forced to click many times to do something mindlessly repetitive, simply because a vet had to, is elitist.

Edited by Roccandil

The most valuable skills in the game, and some of the most difficult are raised by mindless grinding.Metallurgy, Coalmaking, even most craft skills require imping. But lets take the skilling factor aside and lets just apply it to repetitive crafting.

You need 1k nails? Give your priest a 64kg heated iron lump, a 90ql anvil with 95w and just play him on the background checking on him anytime you stop hearing the "clang" of smithing. You dont even have to do anything. Mortar, one of the most profitable bulk resources in the game, can be reduced to alt making the same way.

Your suggestion would eliminate most if not all bulk making jobs. No one would buy bulk if they can have a no skill/no prem alt make all the bulk in the world for them in the background. This would shot the economy down as the building blocks of money generation go out the window.

If you apply this to imping, then the same result happens with basicly everything else. Playing a crafting action that repeats itself in Wurm would have the same effect that it has in most games out there: it renders the value of the product not by its production, but by the rarity of the materials used. And since in Wurm there is literally no rare materials used to produce anything in bulk... Well that value is reduced to zero.

Its not about the clicking. Its about what it would do to the game itself. What you are asking is not for a QoL improvement, but a massive rework of the game as we know it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

The most valuable skills in the game, and some of the most difficult are raised by mindless grinding.Metallurgy, Coalmaking, even most craft skills require imping. But lets take the skilling factor aside and lets just apply it to repetitive crafting.

You need 1k nails? Give your priest a 64kg heated iron lump, a 90ql anvil with 95w and just play him on the background checking on him anytime you stop hearing the "clang" of smithing. You dont even have to do anything. Mortar, one of the most profitable bulk resources in the game, can be reduced to alt making the same way.

Absolutely, and that's because we have the awesome Crafting Window allowing one-click queue filling. I simply want to see that functionality extended. :)

Your suggestion would eliminate most if not all bulk making jobs. No one would buy bulk if they can have a no skill/no prem alt make all the bulk in the world for them in the background. This would shot the economy down as the building blocks of money generation go out the window.

We can't fully automate bulk-making jobs. For instance, if I could one-click an ore vein and tell an alt to mine indefinitely, even with automated resting, the alt will stop at 100. I would have to manually clear the floor, sort the ore (if needed), repair the tools, and fire him off again.

And that's one of the easier tasks to automate. Automating digging would first require dumping dirt/clay/tar on the ground, and then we're back around to clearing the ground at 100 (assuming we didn't dig ourselves off a cliff).

Making mortar is limited by how much your alt can carry. On Epic, if I could one-click mortar-making with my entire inventory, the time I could spend away from the alt would be measured in merely a few minutes. Also, some carp tasks (like shaft creation) would stop due to inventory filling up.

In short, logistics would severely limit the economic impact of indefinite actions, and I suspect one-click indefinite actions would help the game more than they would hurt.

If you apply this to imping, then the same result happens with basicly everything else. Playing a crafting action that repeats itself in Wurm would have the same effect that it has in most games out there: it renders the value of the product not by its production, but by the rarity of the materials used. And since in Wurm there is literally no rare materials used to produce anything in bulk... Well that value is reduced to zero.

The value of a 95QL weapon is not in the clicks required to make it, but in the time required, both to grind the skill to that capability, and then to make the weapon.

But even then logistics has a say: if I could indefinitely imp weapons with one click (again assuming automated fatigue management), I'd still need to maintain glowing ore + tempering water (and provide them in the first place). I couldn't go to sleep, for instance, and wake up in the morning to a stack of shiny new 95QL weapons.

If fatigue management weren't automated, however, and indefinite actions were like levelling, then I couldn't leave the alt for more than a few minutes.

Its not about the clicking. Its about what it would do to the game itself. What you are asking is not for a QoL improvement, but a massive rework of the game as we know it.

One-click queue filling isn't a massive rework; we already have it, implemented in various forms (some better than others). Not only that, we also have the indefinite action mechanic in levelling (is that really hurting the bulk dirt market?), and extending that mechanic to other action types would clearly not be a massive rework, and it would be a very nice QoL improvement.

I'd love to see indefinite actions supported in Wurm and not punished, but I'd settle for a one-click queue filling action window. :)

is it griefing to kill (hunt) players in the game, just because of forum posts?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brew said:

is it griefing to kill (hunt) players in the game, just because of forum posts?

Well, if you want to hunt -me-, that's your business. :)

• Like 1