Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

One-click queue filling

lol

+1 please.. so I can have a life again

A game that plays by itself is the best game imo

</sarcasm>

Edited by faty

I just raised leather working from 0-90 in just over two weeks with affinity food, my white powder habit and my ability to perform mindless repetitive actions until the cow come home on one client whilst doing something equally repetitive and mindless on the other two clients.

With automation I guess I could have done that in less than a week as I was AFK sleeping and doing real life things for more than half that time... its just not wurm.

If you raise your mind logic you can queue more actions, this would give you time to move between screens and click the crafting window button once again or stack some improvement actions.

Edited by Middi

4 hours ago, Middi said:

I just raised leather working from 0-90 in just over two weeks with affinity food, my white powder habit and my ability to perform mindless repetitive actions until the cow come home on one client whilst doing something equally repetitive and mindless on the other two clients.

With automation I guess I could have done that in less than a week as I was AFK sleeping and doing real life things for more than half that time... its just not wurm.

Hmm. I wasn't suggesting that things should be done more quickly; skilling needs to take long enough that players have hard choices to make. Ideally, I'd want your 0-90 run to take the same playtime, just with fewer clicks. It doesn't need to be zero clicks, only few enough that it makes it easier to swap between characters and keep multiple characters doing stuff.

If Wurm really shouldn't be encouraging alts in the first place, then that's a separate issue. Again, as a new guy, my understanding from everything I saw/read was that alts were fundamentally encouraged, and by making an alt I thought I was doing the Wurm thing.

For those who mentioned Mind Logic, it does nothing for newer players. I still haven't unlocked 30 ML on my main after a few months on Epic. Maybe higher levels of ML make it all better, but that won't be the new player experience.

If nothing else, I'd repurpose ML and let everyone queue 10 actions (stamina at that point would be a subtler but real restriction).

6 hours ago, Hailene said:

When people come in and disagree he gets a bit defensive (without outright insulting anyone) and a bit sarcastic and snide.

I appreciate you noting my restraint. :P

First thing I think of when I see "automate something in wurm": 

on a side note, we do have the crafting window which allows you to do all your actions in one click or if you are a trooper (like someone I knew) only use right click to make for ex. bricks... 

Edited by polarbear
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

Hmm. I wasn't suggesting that things should be done more quickly; skilling needs to take long enough that players have hard choices to make. Ideally, I'd want your 0-90 run to take the same playtime, just with fewer clicks. It doesn't need to be zero clicks, only few enough that it makes it easier to swap between characters and keep multiple characters doing stuff.

If Wurm really shouldn't be encouraging alts in the first place, then that's a separate issue. Again, as a new guy, my understanding from everything I saw/read was that alts were fundamentally encouraged, and by making an alt I thought I was doing the Wurm thing.

For those who mentioned Mind Logic, it does nothing for newer players. I still haven't unlocked 30 ML on my main after a few months on Epic. Maybe higher levels of ML make it all better, but that won't be the new player experience.

If nothing else, I'd repurpose ML and let everyone queue 10 actions (stamina at that point would be a subtler but real restriction).

I’ve never had a issue keeping multiple characters doing stuff tbh.

my main point was with an automated system I can go to bed or partake in some real life activity and continue to make gains, again it’s just not wurm imo

Edited by Middi

5 minutes ago, polarbear said:

First thing I think of when I see "automate something in wurm": 

on a side note, we do have the crafting window which allows you to do all your actions in one click or if you are a trooper (like someone I knew) only use right click to make for ex. bricks... 

And This

On 11/23/2017 at 10:17 PM, Yiraia said:

... lol... Gotta love clicking that button over and over again. Man its amazing!

I would +1 to automation, but more would be required along with it.

All right, I've been thinking about more precise suggestions. :) Given the clear anti-macro policy of Wurm, I'm optimizing for the existing queueing system, and with that in mind, here's what I would do:

Mind Logic

First step: remove the mind logic queueing restriction, and allow everyone to queue ten actions. The could be very useful for new players, while not imposing anything on them if they don't want to use queueing. (The fact that basic interface functionality isn't immediately available feels the same to me as if we couldn't use the right mouse button until 30 ML. :P )

At the same time, repurpose Mind Logic such that instead of allowing extra queueing actions, it provides an skill/statgain bonus, perhaps up to 10% at 100. To me, that fits the world story nicely: Vynora gives exp bonus, Vyn gives ML, more logic allows one to learn more.

New Improvement Window

I would add a new window for imping, based somewhat on both the fence-building and crafting interfaces. At its most basic, the imp window would have a slot so you could drag in a stack of imp-able items. Like the crafting window, you would have a pane showing the tools and resources needed for imping. Like the fence-building window, as long as you have the tools and resources in inventory, you can queue up imping actions, and the window will automatically do the right imping move for the next item.

Additional functionality:

- Include repairing as a recognized imping action;

- No immediate binding of queued action to item; that is, you can have 3 items, queue 10 actions, and the window will do 10 imping actions on the 3 items.

- Intelligent resource usage: the window will choose the lowest QL matching resource in inventory to do the imp.

New Action Window

This window would be like the crafting window, only it would allow dragging actions into it as well as items. So, for instance, you could drag mining into it, and queue up ten mining actions with a single button click.

Or, for a resource-consuming action, you could drag in taming and a stack of mixed grass, and queue up ten taming actions.

Additional Enhancements

- I would make resting a queueable action. This would be most useful for levelling: queue a levelling, then a rest to regain all available stamina, then a levelling.

- I would make expgain from levelling the same as normal digging/mining. I see no reason to punish that, any more than I see any reason to make actions give less exp if they were queued.

- I would make tree chopping a single action, with multiple skill ticks (like levelling or repairing), both for cutting down and chopping up.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

To sum this up? You want a clicker game?  I'm seriously asking this no troll.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incremental_game

In some games, even the clicking becomes unnecessary after a time, as the game plays itself, including in the player's absence,[2] hence the moniker "idle game"."

This would be the part that everyone is getting nervous about I think.

One other change I forgot to add is modifying the crafting window to pull from inventory for continuing (again, like the fence-building window).

Gonna rant a little. :P Was thinking more about Mind Logic as implemented, and I realized that, in essence, it tells new players they should have to click a lot more than vets, to do the same thing.

Seriously? Why would anyone defend that?

That kind of attitude and that kind of thinking greatly contribute to the smallness of the Wurm playerbase.

12 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

It's the same reason why high skilled characters can imp higher and faster, carry more things, and control things (e.g. boats, wagons) that newbies can't.

Seriously, you're asking why veterans have advantages over new players when dealing with game mechanics in a game like Wurm? Have you never played a game with a progression system?

Edited by Hailene
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

Gonna rant a little. :P Was thinking more about Mind Logic as implemented, and I realized that, in essence, it tells new players they should have to click a lot more than vets, to do the same thing.

That kind of attitude and that kind of thinking greatly contribute to the smallness of the Wurm playerbase.

The key difference is that the vet has put in the time to gain the rewards of not having as many clicks to accomplish a task. The new player doesn't get to just step in and be on par, if that was the case then why not give them top skills when they enter through the portal? Most MMO's you have to work at getting up to higher levels, so this isn't a "Wurm attitude", this is simply the backbone of a progression system. Now if you disagree with the progression system Wurm has in place, then that is that; changing that backbone changes the entire game fundamentally, meaning what you get isn't Wurm, it's an entirely different game.

• Like 1

Really not needed.

i play four characters, two mains, two priest.

I actively play both mains while priest spam enchants/pray/sac/ect.

even with pure supreme tools / fantastically, having 60+ ml on every character allows you to have full uptime. 70 makes it even better though.

automation would just make things extremely easy with no cost vs reward. I’ve seen people suggest things come out at a lower quality, or lower skill gain, or something else. But imo, automation for most things just flat out is a terrible idea, and for others it would likely hurt the market for new players. So I have to -1.

+1 for making the game reward new players simply for being new while putting restraints on people who have worked for their skills and played the game for years.

/sarcasm

Jokes aside, -1 for any sort of system that de-values the time and effort required to progress in a sandbox. If you have trouble running two characters consider not running more than one. I have fluctuated in my Wurm career from 1 box to 4. At times when I feel burnt out or not wanting to micro manage screens so much I just let the prem on certain accounts drop and play my main.

I agree that the early grind for a new character is rough, but it is a sweat equity sort of system.

small forms of automation could be fun like if you could build a steam operated sawmill or something like that. but it should a be a building or apparatus that you build maintain repair and fuel.

other then that -1

• Like 1

• It would make the game too easy.
  • I can see it ruining the economy. Nobody would be inclined to purchase bulk goods if they could leave an alt to cut planks or mine veins all night or what have you. 
Edited by Goblinking

-1 to de-valuing actual effort, i'm pretty new to wurm and you don;t see me whining about how unfair game is to experienced players outside of anything involving uniques, i just play the game and work myself up to that level.

Would +1 idea for something like a sawmill functioning similar to a still because it would fit wurm theme and make the most monotonous work more bearable, but can't see fully automatized characters in general work out in any good way

4 hours ago, Crackmore_ said:

-1 to de-valuing actual effort, i'm pretty new to wurm and you don;t see me whining about how unfair game is to experienced players outside of anything involving uniques, i just play the game and work myself up to that level.

Would +1 idea for something like a sawmill functioning similar to a still because it would fit wurm theme and make the most monotonous work more bearable, but can't see fully automatized characters in general work out in any good way

"Good" clicking involves decision-making (am I going to mine or woodcut), whereas "bad" clicking is decisionless, rote, repetitive (let me click 50 times to get 50 ore). As someone else has pointed out, tedium is not difficulty.

I have no desire to understand those who defend and encourage rote clicking, especially since it reduces accessibility to those with physical limitations. (Perhaps I should add that my real life profession involves a great deal of scripted automation. :P )

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Budzilla said:

This has to be a joke thread...

Watching the gyrations of those attempting to defend mindless clicking -is- pretty amusing... :P