Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

One-click queue filling

EDIT:

I've condensed the below suggestion into "one-click queue filling". We have a nice window already implementing that for crafting, and I'd like to see that for actions like mining.

We can already keybind actions and hold the key down on a tile/object to fill a queue (at risk of spamming the server), so an action window with the nice queue interface would simply be a cleaner approach.

I wouldn't mind seeing the queue window functionality extended to imping, but since we can already one-click queue-fill for imping using shift-selection plus a keybind, that's not as big a deal (it doesn't spam the server, for one thing).

----------------

One of the first things I remember seeing when looking into Wurm was that playing multiple chars was encouraged, and I've taken Wurm up on that and started a premium alt.

What I've discovered, though, is that due to how queueing works, I really can't play both of mine. Either I focus on one, and let the other sit idle, or vice versa. Yeah, I can swap and hit a button to queue up a few actions, but that's very inefficient.

What I would very much like is to be able to tell my priest, "pray until further notice", or my crafter, "imp until further notice, and take breaks when you run out of stamina", so that I could do something active with the other character. I'd also set up notifications such that the client window would flash if the background character were forced to stop an automated task, for whatever reason (out of resource, attacked, etc.).

For me, at least, that would free up personal gameplay bandwidth such that I could put more money into the game to play more chars at once.

As it is, however, I can barely grind two. Would be nice if the game mechanics lived up to the billing and actively encouraged playing multiple characters. (Yes, this would make Mind Logic as-is obsolete, but I suspect we could find something else useful for it to do.)

Edited by Roccandil

-1 as much it is tempting, i think it's simply too much automation that could lead to army of alts acting like bots

• Like 1

Would be kinda weird with the current anti-macro rules in place.

I'm not sure playing multiple chars is "encouraged", or if I'd say it that way, just that it is allowed. But the billing system does, in fact, not encourage it by any stretch of the meaning. Meanwhile, priesthood pretty much neccessitates it you prefer your independence. Kind of at odds with eachother there, that could indeed use some work.

I could imagine Wurm enforcing 1 account only with up to x chars, but one subscription fee, and even having the player be more of a toon manager using your requested feature, for me personally it wouldn't take much away from the game as I'm juggling 3 chars myself. But that's quite a fundamental debate you're touching here, so I think we're a long way to even entertaining automation in such significant way, it's too much of a stretch right now and probably always will be. I'm not saying that's good or bad, but you might be looking for this in the wrong game. (Which I find unfortunate, I like the Dwarf Fortress vibe controlling 3 characters gives me and would like Wurm to be even closer to that, but it's really grossly at odds with the game as it is.)

Offtopic-ish:

If it's any help though, and I'm just going on a limp because I don't know what yoru settings are and I'm not in the position to dictate anything in that regard, but I found going into window mode on all chars with 800x600 resolution and fitting them onto 1 1920x1080 monitor pretty efficient, especially when you find tasks that have long timers and when you earned some extra queue slots.

Edited by Flubb
  • Like 2

-1, it would defeat the purpose of the game. You could just go away for a year and come back to a character with 100 skills in everything. Try key binding and managing what you grind at once. For example, do one thing that requires more focus and attention, and one thing that requires less. I like to do fishing and animal husbandry, as AH requires constant movement, but fishing only requires pressing a button a few times every 10 minutes or so.

• Like 3

I recommend hiring someone.

Now if only wagoners would allow us to "bus" to work.

• Like 1

If automation is really that bad and lots of clicking is good, then we might as well remove queueing entirely, and add more clicks to every process.

By the way, there -is- a sandbox game in development that does this much, much better than Wurm, and it's called Kenshi. (And I've put a lot of time into it!) Unfortunately, it's not an MMO, and doesn't include terraforming. Nevertheless, the automation (when it works) makes that game a lot of fun. I can play two chars, set my armorsmith going with resources, a workbench, and an armor chest to put finished goods, and go out hunting with another char, without needing to constantly babysit the armorsmith.

You all's definition of gameplay and enjoyment is remarkably different than mine. :)

At any rate, I'm certainly in the market for an MMO sandbox that knows how to do this. The irony is that Wurm is big enough to not need clicky, mind-numbing processes to disguise lack of content....

• Like 1

Turning a game into an MMO completely destroys many single player and even a lot of multiplayer game mechanics. It's an apples vs neutronium comparison.

37 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

If automation is really that bad and lots of clicking is good, then we might as well remove queueing entirely, and add more clicks to every process.

By the way, there -is- a sandbox game in development that does this much, much better than Wurm, and it's called Kenshi. (And I've put a lot of time into it!) Unfortunately, it's not an MMO, and doesn't include terraforming. Nevertheless, the automation (when it works) makes that game a lot of fun. I can play two chars, set my armorsmith going with resources, a workbench, and an armor chest to put finished goods, and go out hunting with another char, without needing to constantly babysit the armorsmith.

You all's definition of gameplay and enjoyment is remarkably different than mine. :)

At any rate, I'm certainly in the market for an MMO sandbox that knows how to do this. The irony is that Wurm is big enough to not need clicky, mind-numbing processes to disguise lack of content....

Image result for bye felicia

• Like 1

yeah umm, WO is very anti-macro.
this, contradicts its reason for being so.
I could have read it more carefully and found some strength within the suggestion but i didn't want to.

• Like 1

It sort of sounds like you want to play a different type of game. Do you think Wurm to change a fundamental characteristic (effort turning into skill) just for you?

• Like 2

Some tasks are more friendly for multi-boxing like digging and mining. If you're going to juggle multiple characters it might be better to make sure your tasks are relatively micro intensive.

Some other options are using multiple monitors, multiple clients on a single screen, and getting higher stats (ML for queuing more actions, more body strength to carry more dirt, more body stamina to level longer, etc.)

And the final option of course is "git gud".

7 hours ago, armyskin said:

-1 No automation. Play the game.

... lol... Gotta love clicking that button over and over again. Man its amazing!

I would +1 to automation, but more would be required along with it.

• Like 1

Apparantly some people like to have to do some cicking every now and then... for me it would destroy the game with automation. Sure, it would be easier, but it wouldn't be playing the game anymore, it would be queuing an action and do somerhing totally different without even needing to look into Wurm every few minutes.

Also I never got the feeling that playing multiple characters is encouraged. It costs more money and only brings you real advantage if you want to have access to one or more priests since you can do everything else on one character. I've always only actively played one character and never felt like I'm lacking something... apart from more points in a skill xD

Actually I'm not really sure how automation could add to a multiplayer game? People standing around being afk? Alt armies?

Action timers and priest restrictions for solo players is a different topic though. Surely there could be some improvement... I just think automation would be the wrong direction.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yiraia said:

... lol... Gotta love clicking that button over and over again. Man its amazing!

I would +1 to automation, but more would be required along with it.

Wurm already has nice automation for levelling dirt/rock. Click a button once, and the character will level until done or out of stamina, while the actions (and gains) pile up as the bar runs. That's cool, and at the very least, why not allow that for actions like mining/woodcutting/praying? Why do I need to click multiple times for my character to chop down a tree?

To all the rest: you really put that much stock in clicking? I find that curious. Levelling must be an abomination, eh? Dumbing down the game and all that: better click each corner manually, or your not "gud". :P

And while we're at it, let's add extra clicks to things like grooming and foraging, so they can't be completed with one click, either. Oh, and since automation is so bad, let's make players click to swing weapons! And fishing... that timer is way too long, better add more clicks.

Sigh. :(

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

And while we're at it, let's add extra clicks to things like grooming and foraging, so they can't be completed with one click, either. Oh, and since automation is so bad, let's make players click to swing weapons! And fishing... that timer is way too long, better add more clicks.

Curious too... how would making an action necessary to swing a weapon make the game worse?

And you know you can assign keys?^^

I think the problem is you're looking for a different kind of game than people who like the not automated game like it is.

30 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

Wurm already has nice automation for levelling dirt/rock. Click a button once, and the character will level until done or out of stamina, while the actions (and gains) pile up as the bar runs.

Offset by lowered skillgain(leveling gives almost nothing) inventory weight and the time it takes to terraform an area.

31 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

That's cool, and at the very least, why not allow that for actions like mining/woodcutting/praying? Why do I need to click multiple times for my character to chop down a tree?

Bind click to scroll wheel. Skill up more so you take out a tree in 1 hit.

34 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

To all the rest: you really put that much stock in clicking? I find that curious. Levelling must be an abomination, eh? Dumbing down the game and all that: better click each corner manually, or your not "gud". :P

Not sure where that strawman came from or where it's going, but its gone straight over my head. Sounds like you'd like a wurm unlimited server where you can macro in essentially, so why not set one up?

13 hours ago, Roccandil said:

I really can't play both of mine.

I play 9 accounts while working and don't have any trouble. Play some star-craft or something and work on controlling multiple groups.

7 hours ago, Roccandil said:

If we can't feed the starving we may might as well execute them. Not really following your logic there.

• Like 1

The Wurm Online Suggestions sub forum has such a hostile community. You need to chill out and stop disagreeing with intent that you've injected into his words.

59 minutes ago, Chakron said:

The Wurm Online Suggestions sub forum has such a hostile community. You need to chill out and stop disagreeing with intent that you've injected into his words.

You just have to read more of his posts. He usually swoops in and basically says he doesn't like something. It comes off as if his opinion is a statement of fact.

When people come in and disagree he gets a bit defensive (without outright insulting anyone) and a bit sarcastic and snide. Often he'll mention how game X does it much better...even though the environment the mechanics he is trying to pull out are not entirely compatible with the rest of the Wurm mechanics.

Throw in a liberal amounts of hyperbole and strawmen, and you can see why it rubs people wrong.