Sign in to follow this  
Ruiner

who wants a map reset for elevation

who wants a map reset for elevation  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Who else wants a reset the map is terribly flat and is a pain in the arse for pvp , we got the skill transfer so the final piece in the puzzle for epic to come back to life is a map reset

• yes
    • no

epic portals should be removed from chaos, travel to and from epic should happen only from freedom

not on topic for map reset, but I think pertinent to the state of pvp for epic

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 1

Remove Chaos, Serenity, Affliction, and Desertion. Reboot Elevation into a 8 x 8 to a 12 x 12 map.

Force players to PVP on 1 server. Splitting up an already small community is not the way to go. 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Zekezor said:

In all fairness I don't think a map reset is gonna work.

The underlying problem is that people don't get skill for both clusters on epic and thus will focus their main efforts in grinding on freedom rather than epic.

Thus we end up with ghost towns on epic which reduces the chance of sporadik pvp by a huge ammount.

This.

16 hours ago, Jaz said:

There should be a fair mechanic to transfer the skill GAINS when jumping from epic to freedom. That might make more players to grind skills on any cluster they are currently on. It feels a bit silly that I go to freedom to grind archery which I only need on Epic.

new map or not, the community is still spreaded... even thinner now... there is no reason to grind skills on epic, since we lack skills that are only useful on one cluster. Worse, the fact time invested on epic doesn't translate on freedom make it sounds like a waste... which is quite the opposite of what you would want.

Maybe we need a new map, maybe we need a merge, but we need real incentive to really play on epic (none of the current ones are that exciting, no matter how fancy they can be).

Turn Epic into a Challenge Server that we can portal in and out of like currently can.  Epic is stale and resetting the server every year or few months or whatever on Challenge might be the answer.  Keep us busy with missions and other things when no active PvP going on.  Missions help get people out and run into others too.  Keep the skills and crafting super fast so it's easier to keep rebuilding after server resets.  Make sure it's not all about standing in front of a forge like freedom and more about PvP only and defense.  Let us portal in from Freedom and do PvP and quick building of deeds.

That seems to be what the direction of Epic is going in.  No reason to skill on Epic so make is all about battles.  Maybe make some random missions that you need to flatten a deed in the Challenge.

16 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

Turn Epic into a Challenge Server that we can portal in and out of like currently can.  Epic is stale and resetting the server every year or few months or whatever on Challenge might be the answer.  Keep us busy with missions and other things when no active PvP going on.  Missions help get people out and run into others too.  Keep the skills and crafting super fast so it's easier to keep rebuilding after server resets.  Make sure it's not all about standing in front of a forge like freedom and more about PvP only and defense.  Let us portal in from Freedom and do PvP and quick building of deeds.

That seems to be what the direction of Epic is going in.  No reason to skill on Epic so make is all about battles.  Maybe make some random missions that you need to flatten a deed in the Challenge.

Ugh. :(

53 minutes ago, Entendu said:

Remove Chaos, Serenity, Affliction, and Desertion. Reboot Elevation into a 8 x 8 to a 12 x 12 map.

Force players to PVP on 1 server. Splitting up an already small community is not the way to go. 

i want to see this paired with Xallos suggestion on the skill issue

we mainly need a few things here and I think

1. one pvp cluster/server that separated from Freedom so it can be balanced properly

2. skill translation system between the two so that time spent on one isn't wasted

if both of these are done it solves 90% of our problems I think (including map issue), other than client instability that really needs to be worked on, good grief its god awful right now to the point where 90% of deaths are honest to god crashes/lag issues

and -1 no thanks to challenge style as the main focus of pvp

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 1

I just see challenge servers as you have a year to build and kill and then it resets.  I could have it wrong.  Never played on one before.

To me it seems if PvP map is too long term then it turns into old players and map gets stale.  Give us a random 16x16 single map or little bigger every refresh.

I honestly would like the stability of the game fixed first.  No point in doing PvP when everyone's client is crashing and lagging out and can't battle anyways.

Just adding to the idea....even if it's not a good one.  lol

EDIT:  Forgot to mention that this would be the ONLY PvP server.  All others would be removed and this would be the new PvP norm.

Edited by nicedreams

17 hours ago, Nappy said:

I am still grinding on Epic as I build a deed etc. I also admit I am crazy to do it that way with the way that the game has now made it smarter to grind on Freedom in complete safety, with zero risk of losing anything at all. No fear of raids, no fear of sudden ambush, no fear at all.

I prefer the feeling of danger I get from living and grinding in a more dangerous environment. No interest in playing on Freedom right now and grinding in safety.

It's unfortunate that CodeClub hasn't yet balanced risk and reward so that there is some reason to smartly grind away on Epic instead of hiding in the safety of Freedom.

Hopefully soon, CodeClub, will announce the other half of the update that swings the focus back to living on Epic.

You back Nappy?

I think home servers should stay. The communities living there currently may not want to move to an Elevation type server and have a different playstyle than the hardcore PVP community, still there should be advantages be presented to make people consider living daily on Elevation despite the higher risk.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jaz said:

I think home servers should stay. The communities living there currently may not want to move to an Elevation type server and have a different playstyle than the hardcore PVP community, still there should be advantages be presented to make people consider living daily on Elevation despite the higher risk.

we have to stop trying to get everything right for everyone

if the vast majority wants ONE server united for PvP, which would make sense since now its like 5 servers with like 5 people on it each, then it should be like that

there is no way in hell everyone is gonna be happy, but tbh the 3-4 players who play on the homeservers nowadays are more important ey?

i see where this will end, in the next 2 pages of this thread retro will come in and say "hey guys, a map reset isnt gonna happen anytime soon and the homeservers are gonna stay, period....."

either way, this topic was discussed many times and it got ignored many times, but at least now we can flee to freedom :3

thanks CC

3 minutes ago, Quicktor said:

i see where this will end, in the next 2 pages of this thread retro will come in and say "hey guys, a map reset isnt gonna happen anytime soon and the homeservers are gonna stay, period....."

Any response would be better than the purgatory we're currently in.

The "not knowing factor" is likely largely contributing to the comparatively low population.

11 minutes ago, Quicktor said:

we have to stop trying to get everything right for everyone

if the vast majority wants ONE server united for PvP, which would make sense since now its like 5 servers with like 5 people on it each, then it should be like that

there is no way in hell everyone is gonna be happy, but tbh the 3-4 players who play on the homeservers nowadays are more important ey?

either way, this topic was discussed many times and it got ignored many times, but at least now we can flee to freedom :3

thanks CC

Does it hurt anyone that 3x5 players are playing on the homeservers? Those who like the setup there most likely won't move to Elevation anyway, Epic will better lose them to Freedom. From your point of view they don't count anyway as they are not involved in PVP. I'm really okay to move to Elevation if there is a reason to stay there - and no, I don't want to join to a big kingdom as the 1.001th soldier, that looks like a boring option to me. I don't see how killing home servers may help, there is at least a slight chance there to build a community who later may move to Elevation as a new group.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

consolidating the player base is what we need, always was what we needed. something that will divide us even further won't help. Home servers have history, it would be a shame to wipe them / remove them completely, even if there is only a few players on them... the solution probably lies within the option to transfer skills between clusters so time spent on one doesn't impact too badly the time spent on the other one. Right now, someone (or a group) who start on those homeservers will get shafted when it comes to skill and freedom, not something we want.

If there are enough players living on the homeservers to justify the cost to keep them running then leave them alone. Elevation people can't just assume the homeserver players would want to merge with the rest of the pvpers on a single server. If you delete their homeservers and they choose not to join you, all you accomplish is destroying their homes for nothing.

Edited by Morrowen
  • Like 1

More attention needs to be given to Xallo's suggestion regarding having the same skill gain on Epic as on Freedom to allow 1:1 transfers. 

Plus, as I said in his thread, modify the curve to increase effective skill gain even more at lower levels, but leave it relatively unchanged for 70+, this will compliment the slower overall skill gain, allowing newer players to still get up to speed quickly. This way you can grind wherever you want, but your skills are more effective on Epic, ESPECIALLY if you're new.

Simple and effective, and very easy to adjust without causing any massive long lasting issues that fiddling with the skill gain can bring.

Edited by BrokenSanity
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jaz said:

no, I don't want to join to a big kingdom as the 1.001th soldier, that looks like a boring option to me

There were 5 of us newbing it up at my Elevation deed last night.

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the most activity on Elevation at the time, but it was a fun, small group.

Way better than joining a faceless swarm.

5 hours ago, BrokenSanity said:

More attention needs to be given to Xallo's suggestion regarding having the same skill gain on Epic as on Freedom to allow 1:1 transfers. 

Plus, as I said in his thread, modify the curve to increase effective skill gain even more at lower levels, but leave it relatively unchanged for 70+, this will compliment the slower overall skill gain, allowing newer players to still get up to speed quickly. This way you can grind wherever you want, but your skills are more effective on Epic, ESPECIALLY if you're new.

Simple and effective, and very easy to adjust without causing any massive long lasting issues that fiddling with the skill gain can bring.

If this means reverting to Freedom's broken skillgain system then by all means no. If it means upgrading Freedom with the improved Epic system, then by all means yes.

41 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

If it means upgrading Freedom with the improved Epic system, then by all means yes.

Sticking my nose into the pvp thread just to comment on this.  As a freedomer this would not hurt my feelings, even a little bit.  :D

K, getting out now. Back to pvp.  lol

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wulfgarr said:

You back Nappy?

Yep, coming soon to a sword near you! (grin)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jaz said:

Does it hurt anyone that 3x5 players are playing on the homeservers? Those who like the setup there most likely won't move to Elevation anyway, Epic will better lose them to Freedom. From your point of view they don't count anyway as they are not involved in PVP. I'm really okay to move to Elevation if there is a reason to stay there - and no, I don't want to join to a big kingdom as the 1.001th soldier, that looks like a boring option to me. I don't see how killing home servers may help, there is at least a slight chance there to build a community who later may move to Elevation as a new group.

Without giving away numbers entirely, the home server population, on at least one home server,  is multiple times the numbers provided here, even after the great exodus of hard core PVP players back to Freedom. 

Hardcore PVPers likely are enjoying the chance to grind on freedom and finally escape from Epic for a bit. They also protect their gains by grinding on Freedom.

The home server people who are continuing to grind on Epic seem to be more focused in continuing to build and grow a community, doing things together on Epic as their skills increase. Some also enjoy the feeling of living more dangerously.

Ultimately we need both groups. A solution would be to complete the second half of the update that provides a real reason for the serious grinders to return to living in danger on Epic.

BTW: They could always add a sixth, very small, PVP focused server to Epic and allow people to vote with their feet. Make a server that is PVP friendly and if you really want the action that's where you will move, without any drama about losing your work from building a deed etc.

From a cost perspective I could run 6 or 7 WU servers on one physical server and two of those had much heavier loads then current WO Epic population levels. Should be doable on Epic too.

~Nappy

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Nappy said:

Hardcore PVPers likely are enjoying the chance to ... finally escape from Epic for a bit. They also protect their gains by grinding on Freedom.

Am I crazy for thinking this is a terrible thing to encourage?  I mean, it's obviously what they're going for, but why?

44 minutes ago, Nappy said:

people who are continuing to grind on Epic seem to be more focused in continuing to build and grow a community

Yes, this should be heavily encouraged.

45 minutes ago, Nappy said:

Ultimately we need both groups.

Serious question.  Why?

Epic shouldn't be the PVP cluster where people come to blow off steam before retreating to safety.

It should be a place where people live, and sometimes kill each other when the mood strikes them.  It should also be the place where people are forced to live with the consequences of their actions.

If you go and kill a newbie, well, some people won't like that but it happens.

If you kill a newbie and bash every single fencepost of his deed down while laughing and doing rude emotes, there should be no safe place to retreat to.  The community should be able to hunt you down and destroy everything you've built in return.

"C'mon guys, he's escaped to Freedom!  Let's get ourselves a posse and go grimace at him!  GRIMACE HARDER, BOYS!"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wulvarik said:

Am I crazy for thinking this is a terrible thing to encourage?  I mean, it's obviously what they're going for, but why?

I am firmly in the camp of making Epic important in it's own right, don't personally care about the Freedom grinding aspect now that people have been given a reasonable way to exit Epic if they wanted to do so.

I'd probably even be ok with quarterly skill-syncs.  That way anybody that wants to actually migrate can do so, but they're not gonna be raiding, leaving, and skilling up in safety until the next night's raid.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Wulvarik said:

I'd probably even be ok with quarterly skill-syncs.  That way anybody that wants to actually migrate can do so, but they're not gonna be raiding, leaving, and skilling up in safety until the next night's raid.

This sounds like an interesting idea to take away the feeling from grinders that their skillwork is useless on Epic.

• Like 1