Sign in to follow this  
Udonne

Infinitive dirt/sand source

Some Players(like me) need tons of dirt for their projects. The only ways(that scales) at the moment is by leveling it somewhere or Dredge it. This ends always in large areas of flat land or spiky ground on the ocean. That is not nice for the people who live in that areas.

Greetings to the guy who KOS me ;-)

My Idea:

There are some very deep areas in the ocean where we can load dirt/sand. This result in a spiky ground, but the next people are most outside the level of detail, so they not see the spiky ground. If Wurm fill the holes 500, 750 or 1000 below the water every day with one or more dirt, then we no longer need to ruin the landscape somewhere else.

A simple algorithm like:

Foreach edge below x add y dirt

Edited by Udonne

During 2 years of levelling, enlarging or improving existing old roads on xanadu i collected a huge amount of dirt without flattening a single hill or digging a single hole around the landscape, dirt wich have been used on other projects, of course this kind of approach slow down progress on both projects so looks like you are slacking...

• Like 1

There is no shortage of dirt/sand in the world.  If you disagree, make a Nahjo/Paaweelr/Fo priest.

• Like 3

Prem. a second char as priest is expensive for me. Sure there is no shortage of dirt and sand is the world. But would you be happy when i visit you and load a ship of dirt near your deed?

+1, even if there is lots of dirt in the world it does leave ugly scars when people go dig dirt to sell and don't care about how they leave the terrain.

• Like 1

come dig next to me, i want to have lake, should get easy few knarrs of dirt. Will lend you a wagon to get your dirt to ship (~30 minutes trip one way)

• Like 1

+1 what about treating the holes or areas as a mine. Every so often there would be a random chance for it to "push up" or the natural flow of the currents has "filled in the hole" Personally I think on bridge concerns,  as in real life, you should be able to make some type of pillar forms in which to pour the dirt in and form your collumns. Even using wood forms that would decay or could be taken and moved to the next section..but maybe offset that with a little more dirt. Dirt can be replaced on land by sand/dirt dunes.

• Like 2

-1 This is not an issue. Freedom has a thick layer of dirt, the area to find dirt is massive and there are priest that can make dirt from thin air.

Leaving ugly scares in the terrain could simply be considered griefing and be dealt with accordingly. You can always fix the landscape after you are done, just a matter of good manners towards your neighbours.

• Like 2

Interestingly, more dirt gets destroyed than gets conjured into existence.

I feel some form of "composting" would be a better solution though.

• Like 1

This idea sounds like it might just lead to more problems. Other people have had great suggestions, like helping out other deed with the terraforming they need done. Something I did for dirt was smoothen out a hill in our deed to look nicer. 

I could never see this feature being implimented.

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

Interestingly, more dirt gets destroyed than gets conjured into existence.

I feel some form of "composting" would be a better solution though.

I have alone made over 3 knarrs full of dirt(max Lcrates) in just the last year of playing wurm.

Starting as a new player on Epic, it felt odd to see all these sharp dirtwall structures with decaying stonewalls. The rock erodes, but the dirt never does? Seems like, if nothing else, sharp dirt structures, whether walls or gashes in the landscape, should naturally flatten downward over time. (I realize that has all sorts of implications. :P )

That doesn't provide infinite dirt, but it does mean that the landscape would naturally "repair" itself.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Roccandil said:

Starting as a new player on Epic, it felt odd to see all these sharp dirtwall structures with decaying stonewalls

I agree.  It was actually the main factor in me choosing Elevation over Serenity.

When I started at Strongbox, everywhere I went had these ugly, (apparently) abandoned dirt walls.  I quickly went back and chose a different starting area.

High Hopes had a bit of the same thing going on but it wasn't too hard to find virgin territory.

I could definitely get behind some sort of maintenance being needed on unnaturally sharp angles.  Doesn't even have to be drastic, just something like once a week 1 dirt will slide from the top to the bottom of any slope over whatever the natural maximum is.

Edited by Wulvarik
  • Like 1

+1 on the idea to help 'fix' the scars some leave. but also -1 on the free dirt everywhere / 'fix our ######ups automaticly so i dont have to deal with the cleanup' 

those scars could slide back down but going up one corner would have to lower the others around. giving the ocean a move smooth bottom but those marks would still be there.

dirt flowing from 50+ slopes over time ok (got to keep some slopes not turn the land all flat too) but not too fast either. dont want someone terraforming to need to rush planning a building to protect their flat area from sliding down

deeds sure but not everyone deeds then terraforms, for example i terraform then expand the deed (well in theory. surface mining and seals...long no fun story) so the area getting worked on needs to be 'safe' from slides for a time. maybe make the slides happen only once every week or month. this way load on server wouldnt be too high

There are so many abandoned dirtwalls around the freedom servers, I feel there is no shortage of dirt at all even if you don't want to ruin the landscape. Just go and dig down some of these and you can have all your dirt needs I'm sure.

On 11/19/2017 at 7:49 AM, Udonne said:

Prem. a second char as priest is expensive for me. Sure there is no shortage of dirt and sand is the world. But would you be happy when i visit you and load a ship of dirt near your deed?

I have a deed on exodus in the desert, there is so much sand here you are welcome to visit and dig it all down to rock, it is close to a infinite supply of sand.

• Like 1