Sign in to follow this  
Roccandil

Rarity suggestions

Suggestions:

- Make the drumroll always mean you got something. If you get a rarity roll while imping, and fail the test, don't play the drumroll. If it were me developing, I'd want that sound to -always- be associated in the player's mind as, "something really cool just happened", not "I got a MoI, but failed create on an 85% chance, so the game just gave me the finger", or, "I got an MoI, but I'm praying, which means nothing really happened".

- Make rares always do something. For instance, make rare quivers hold 1/2/3 extra arrows, or have rare statuettes add 1/2/3 to cast power. That way at least they're doing something, and not just looking shiny.

- Make a MoI while praying give you a rare something from the gods (mushroom/coin/gem) -or- make it give you a bonus Faith tick.

- Possibly add a line to the MoI message explaining what bonus you just got (you created a rare X, or found a rare Y, or imped to a rare Z).

I could also see adjusting the rarity system such that, for instance, combining a rare longsword blade and a rare handle will always give a rare longsword (after all, creating a rare longsword outright is easier). That would make trading pieces like that more interesting, as well.

• Like 1

-1 for the first one, +1 for everything else. Rares need some serious rework which i hope will come after priest overhaul

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kochinac said:

-1 for the first one, +1 for everything else. Rares need some serious rework which i hope will come after priest overhaul

In that case, I'd make these counter-suggestions for the first one:

- A MoI always guarantees a creation or imping success. (After all, it seems silly to fail during a moment of inspiration. :P )

- Since imping success during a MoI only very occasionally means a rare, the system could otherwise guarantee a nice QL jump in the imp itself (I'd suggest double/triple/quadruple QL gain for rare/supreme/fantastic imps). Even if you don't get a rare out of a MoI imp, if you're imping something high QL, that could still be a very nice bonus.

- I would also apply the above to imping with the last of a rare resource. You may not get a rare out of it, but you still get a nice guaranteed imp bump.

In short, a MoI should always do something nice for the player.

• Like 1

-moment of inspiration giving more ql gain even if doesnt end in a rare would make sense, you somehow managed to improve the item remarkably well.

-making rares have more useful functions, like the quivers and statuettes would be intresting, say a rare ring might give a light glow to show your way in the dark? not huge game breaking stuff ( same ql lantern would clearly be brighter) but some motivation to use them. bit like how rare tools give a little better ql of raw materials harvested. its not game breaking (espetialy now that we got runes doing much more) but its a nice perk to get.

-rare roll on praying could mean the god notice how you pray with fervor and give more skill (like a x2 boost as with sleep bonus? or a reset of the daily counts of prayers for priests?) or could give a tick on an other religion based skill, but not just praying. something like "you feel touched by the eyes of <god name> and can feel their blessing onto you" and get a tick in preaching/channeling or exorcism.

-more explicative line might be nice, just lets not have a huge wall of text.

so yea overall +1. 

ps. having a roll while tending a field could push the field straight to the next growth stage, so you can tend it again right away and basicly save 1 day until the harvest is ready (if ripe when getting roll, field stays ripe and gives a couple extra items in the harvest?)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Roccandil said:

In that case, I'd make these counter-suggestions for the first one:

- A MoI always guarantees a creation or imping success. (After all, it seems silly to fail during a moment of inspiration. :P )

- Since imping success during a MoI only very occasionally means a rare, the system could otherwise guarantee a nice QL jump in the imp itself (I'd suggest double/triple/quadruple QL gain for rare/supreme/fantastic imps). Even if you don't get a rare out of a MoI imp, if you're imping something high QL, that could still be a very nice bonus.

- I would also apply the above to imping with the last of a rare resource. You may not get a rare out of it, but you still get a nice guaranteed imp bump.

In short, a MoI should always do something nice for the player.

Yeah, that's a nice idea :) I certanly +1 that :)

2 hours ago, Ekib said:

-making rares have more useful functions, like the quivers and statuettes would be intresting, say a rare ring might give a light glow to show your way in the dark? not huge game breaking stuff ( same ql lantern would clearly be brighter) but some motivation to use them. bit like how rare tools give a little better ql of raw

ps. having a roll while tending a field could push the field straight to the next growth stage, so you can tend it again right away and basicly save 1 day until the harvest is ready (if ripe when getting roll, field stays ripe and gives a couple extra items in the harvest?)

There is rune, can't remember which one which have simmilar effect on items, quite handy in tunnels when you forget lantern or fuel for it not good as lantern but quite enough so yeah that would be nice on rare ring as for harvesting there should be increased yield on field with rare roll on tending but honestly i tried several time to mark such fileds and failed to see significant difference

• Like 1

true a rune exist, but like rare its not easy to get/attach. having more options would be nice. and perhaps a runed rare ring could then be nearly as bright as a lantern? also an intensive to imp the rings to better ql if like lantern the higher ql the better the glow

increased yeilds on farming sounds like a good plan, but like you say doesnt do anything. helping the plant grow faster was an option 2 idea. :)