Sign in to follow this  
Darmalus

New Food Affinity Assingment

Food affinities are a great addition to the game, but they are hamstrung because and new skills would change everyone's affinity food. New skills either need to replace an old one or not be able to be gained through food.

A new method that is future proof against new skills being added.

• Normal cooking methods randomly assign affinities to food.
  • To get a specific affinity on food:
    • Right click the container and select "Prepare food."
    • Choose the desired affinity from the pop-up menu.
    • A timer (10-20 sec) counts down as some RP text plays.
    • You fail, succeed or greatly succeed!
      • Fail: Affinity is still random and unknown until cooked. Try again.
      • Succeed: The chosen affinity is assigned to the meal
      • Greatly succeed: A random second, minor affinity is also added to the food.
  • Rarity, complexity and ingredients have their normal effects on affinity strength, duration and CCFP.

With this method as many skills as the devs want could be added without ever needing to worry about disrupting food affinities.

Edited by Darmalus
  • Like 2

Would be alot ezer for them to just repeat the skills and change them out with list 2. so mod 276 vs 138.

Or just add another *##*skills and make a item that changes it it from list A to list B.

Affinity breaking or not, I don't think devs are going to invent a new skill every moon phase, so is messing up some records on some rare occasions this pressing that the system has to be changed? If the dev team felt they could be more creative by making so many more skills if they dind't have to deal with the outcry of messed up records every time, more power to this idea. Although I think that's ultimately within their discretion to decide if that'd help them, this gets a +1-ish from my part - if only for the devs to take it into consideration under this aspect, but unless the regular introduction of new skills becomes a thing, I think we can survive a few affinity shifts.

10 minutes ago, icbash said:

Or just add another *##*skills and make a item that changes it it from list A to list B.

I'm not sure what exactly you're proposing, but please no more "versioning" of functionality that's emergent to the user. The existence of old and new affinity system characters is jarring enough. If that's the path future affinity system changes are going, I'd rather see them go with Darmalus' idea and decouple these changes from peoples personal records for good. Repeating the list and inserting new skills inplace is a good fix as it is easy and mostly transparent, but it'd make "replaced" skills less common for us experimenters, and I'm not sure how people would feel about that. It may even limit what's achievable for the cooks that use calculators.

might tempt me to light the oven again. so lets give it a +1

• Like 1