Sign in to follow this  
Hoseph

Train Mauls by Mining

As title suggests, let us train our maul skills up to 20 by smacking some rocks to dust. Similar to axes and swords using trees as practice.

• Like 5

Not sure how you would think that should work, a hit on a rock tile yields the same amount of rock as trying to tunnel?

It really does not take much time to get 20 skill with any weapon, it only appears hard when you are a brand new account, once you have the base skills everything else is easy.

The worst advice I ever got was being told to chop trees down with a sword, I really wish they just sent me out into the woods and told to kill some pigs or something instead of no way will you ever survive trying to hunt.

23 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Not sure how you would think that should work, a hit on a rock tile yields the same amount of rock as trying to tunnel?

Similar to how swords/axes take longer to chop down a tree than a hatchet, mauls could give less kg of rock/ore per tick, or allow them only to mine stone and not any ores. Or if that is tricky to do, then simply yield lower quality than is possible on an equivalent QL pickaxe.

23 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

It really does not take much time to get 20 skill with any weapon, it only appears hard when you are a brand new account, once you have the base skills everything else is easy.

The worst advice I ever got was being told to chop trees down with a sword, I really wish they just sent me out into the woods and told to kill some pigs or something instead of no way will you ever survive trying to hunt.

Newbies don't always have the luxury of finding a bunch of easy prey in the woods at the start. Sometimes it's nice to practice without any worry of being wounded or killed. Being able to train up out of combat so they can better fight the spiders and wolves later on is why swords and axes can be trained by chopping trees in the first place. Adding mauls to that simply gives newbros some more choices.

But newbies do not have mauls to use, they start with a sword.

A axe cuts a tree down by doing x-amount of damage to it, once the damage hits 100 the tree falls. The hatchet is most efficient as it does the most damage, but any tool can be used, they just do a whole lot less damage.

Now to apply this to a rock tile, a pick action removes one rock shard, after ~50 shards are busted out the tile opens, how do you propose to do this with a maul? Have it take 20 actions to remove one rock shard? I think a new player would sooner beat his head against the wall than to mine like this, even if it does give maul skill. 

I have never thought to try, but can a tree be cut down by using a maul? Maybe this is already possible.

Edited by JakeRivers

+1 i'm not a maul user but i trained all cutting weapons and tools i could up to 20 by chopping trees. Makes sense to have means to train non cutting weapon and something related to rock / mining sounds fitting.

Edited by MashHiven

27 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

But newbies do not have mauls to use, they start with a sword.

That does not mean they wont get one later on. It's all about giving people the option if they so choose.

27 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

A axe cuts a tree down by doing x-amount of damage to it, once the damage hits 100 the tree falls. The hatchet is most efficient as it does the most damage, but any tool can be used, they just do a whole lot less damage.

Now to apply this to a rock tile, a pick action removes one rock shard, after ~50 shards are busted out the tile opens, how do you propose to do this with a maul? Have it take 20 actions to remove one rock shard? I think a new player would sooner beat his head against the wall than to mine like this, even if it does give maul skill. 

I have never thought to try, but can a tree be cut down by using a maul? Maybe this is already possible.

As I said, mauls could simply give lower QL rocks than a regular pickaxe.

We also have target dummies which do work for all weapons I believe, so it is not like there is not already something out there one could use.

Fun fact, weapon skill doesn't effect hit rate or damage, there'll be almost 0 difference between a 1 maul skill trying to kill an animal and a 20maul skill trying to kill an animal, you're just wasting your time getting weapon up to 20 on dummy/trees, you want fight skill from hunting animals.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 2

for the sake of science

there is no 'cut' option on a tree with my large maul, shame really

1 hour ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Fun fact, weapon skill doesn't effect hit rate or damage, there'll be almost 0 difference between a 1 maul skill trying to kill an animal and a 20maul skill trying to kill an animal, you're just wasting your time getting weapon up to 20 on dummy/trees, you want fight skill from hunting animals.

Be a good time to remove skills that have 0 use

1 hour ago, Kadore said:

Be a good time to remove skills that have 0 use

It does have a use, parrying and attack speed. It's just at 1fs and 20 body control you're not going to use either of those things.

At least on Epic, you can skill every weapon/tool (except chisel) up to effective 20 (10.56-ish real) on a doll. Fight goes easily to 10.56 and then stops (probably bugged, system may think it's effective 20 even though Fight isn't curved), easily because you now get skillgain for failures up to level 20 (so every swing at a doll is a Fight gain), and the stopping at 10.56 means that since you never actually reach 20 Fight, the doll never stops working for weapons. :P

Anyhow, I think newbies should be able to skill Fight and all weapons/weapon-like tools at a dummy via usage (not success) to level 20, regardless of whether Fight is already 20. I don't mind the idea of mauls being skillable via mining (why not make them skillable via bashing too? use swords on the trees and mauls on the stumps! :P ), but a doll is the logical place to start skilling an unfamiliar weapon.

On the WU server I play on, most of the players use the passive skill gains from parrying versus sheep for most weapon skill training with new weapons/shields.

Not certain how it would work in WO, but it works in WU.

Start of with no weapon equipped, shield if you want to.  Punch the sheep for awhile and build your focus up as high as you can.  Attack 1-2 sheep, then target an animal in a separate pen and attack it.  Equip the weapon you want to gain skill in.  

Since your combat target is unattackable you stand there parrying in defensive mode and skill up.  Increase the number of animals attacking you as your skill increases, or if someone wants to practice healing on you.

Edited by Orsus