Sign in to follow this  
Xallo

Epic Suggestions

I think Epic is pretty much dying as far as crafting/roaming is concerned. It's been only a week or so since the patch, and LOTS of Epic players moved to Freedom/Chaos, with for the most part the only reason to jump back to Epic is to investigate deed alarms, hota, etc... The reason for this is because it's POINTLESS to grind on Epic now. Nobody is going to grind on Epic first, and then jump back to Freedom via portal and grind there a second time. Roaming is basically not ever gonna happen anymore because of this, as a lot of people are going to be hanging out on Freedom to grind (because you can bring your Freedom skills to Epic 100%).

http://elevation.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

(Down 80 from last week. Most of these are likely mains, and not alts)

On Freedom, it takes a day to get 50+ skill, which curves up to 70+ on Epic..... and fightskill takes a day for 70FS (on Xanadu). It's not difficult.

Suggestions:

- Epic should have the same skill gain as Freedom (OR, A FORMULA SHOULD EXIST TO TRANSLATE SKILL GAINED ON EPIC, TO FREEDOM)

- Keep epic skill curve as it is "to help newer players".

- Skills should transfer 1:1 between Freedom and Epic.

- Give new players 10 hours of sleep bonus to "help them" (because it's apparently very difficult for new players to start PvP).

- Epic exists as primary PvP server for those who want to play with the new Epic-only features. It's more about combat, and less about land-grabbing.

- Chaos exists as secondary PvP server where you have the potential to win more, but also lose more. It's also more about land-grabbing.

Thoughts?

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 3

So does this mean you want to remove the current fast actions and skill gain system from Epic and turn exactly as it is as on freedom keeping the curve?

7 minutes ago, whykillme said:

So does this mean you want to remove the current fast actions and skill gain system from Epic and turn exactly as it is as on freedom keeping the curve?

Yep! The action speed could stay, if it doesn't effect skill-gain (if skills are gained via action speed lengths, then it doesn't necessarily matter much). Otherwise, just remove the action speed too.

Edited by Xallo

something needs to be done thats for sure but i wouldnt play with such slow skillgain

Perhaps we can change action speed on TOGGLE from body on Epic. That way people can still use faster actions for quality of life, and grind there aswell to allow transfer both ways.

Make chaos PVE only and let Epic become the PVP cluster

• Like 1

I don't see why could we not get the same skillgain on Epic as on Freedom - even with shorter action timers the skillgain would be lower accrodingly, giving same rate per hour. As an alternative can get the 2x skillgain, but then somehow the additional GAINED skillchange should be factored back but transfered when going to freedom.

We really need something to encourage skilling on Epic, it is simply not happening currently.

• Like 1

You literally said Epic is dead as far as crafting and roaming, then say to allow 1:1 transfers? Thats why its dead... because people can transfer across to freedom whenever they want. Yes allowing two way transfer's might help.... but you still have a freedom linked cluster and TWO PvP servers.... splitting PvP players to both.

Someone make an acceptable post about merging these two servers and if I'm honest why PvP is EVER linked to PvE is beyond me.

Instead of worrying about the damn skillgain, focus around PvP. Crashing and lagging was never this bad in PvP. Also I grind on Epic. Romans can back to Chaos. Not like anyone wants to fight 35 accounts while crashing anyways.

Edited by Wimblonian
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Moonpoppy said:

You literally said Epic is dead as far as crafting and roaming, then say to allow 1:1 transfers? Thats why its dead... because people can transfer across to freedom whenever they want. Yes allowing two way transfer's might help.... but you still have a freedom linked cluster and TWO PvP servers.... splitting PvP players to both.

Someone make an acceptable post about merging these two servers and if I'm honest why PvP is EVER linked to PvE is beyond me.

Allowing 1:1 transfers is almost necessary now that Epic players were allowed to bring their accounts to Freedom, and vice versa. A lot of people that I know who played on Epic transfered to Freedom and plan on grinding out their [3x] for the stat gain, and then continue grinding on Freedom because it will transfer back freely. Now that the devs have pushed for allowing Freedomers to go onto Epic without skill loss 24/7, the same should be done from Epic to Freedom.

Otherwise, as long as two PvP servers exist, players will be "split" to both, as they were before (though maybe despite your assumptions, a vast majority already did play on both clusters, but they can do so now with less accounts to worry about). What will make it better for both clusters is if people can do grind on either of the two clusters without fear of one of them being completely obsolete from the other. If that's the case, then they will chose to grind on the server where they can copy/paste their skills to the other whenever they want.

By allowing people to grind their skill on either cluster, then there's inherently much more of a potential for people to roam on either server as they don't need to grind on Freedom if they play on both.

And as I stated before, there is a rather large difference between the two PvP servers/clusters..... but if need be, I think it can be merged into one large PvP server. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonpoppy said:

If PvE isn't linked to PvP, the pop will be split, and also importantly, new players will -have- to immediately decide between the two clusters, making an irreversible and largely uninformed decision.  (And yeah, that means all new players should now choose Freedom, which is definitely bad for Epic.)

Allowing PvE to cross to PvP and vice versa would be a huge deal, because it would mean the initial cluster choice for a new player wouldn't really matter. Newbies could try out the different clusters and migrate to where they had fun, without having to feel like they had to start over to do so.

Whatever other problems may exist, and whatever it might take, I fully agree with making 1:1 transfers work. That's a fundamental customer service.

On 11/17/2017 at 9:16 PM, Xallo said:

Suggestions:

- Epic should have the same skill gain as Freedom (OR, A FORMULA SHOULD EXIST TO TRANSLATE SKILL GAINED ON EPIC, TO FREEDOM)

- Keep epic skill curve as it is "to help newer players".

- Skills should transfer 1:1 between Freedom and Epic.

- Give new players 10 hours of sleep bonus to "help them" (because it's apparently very difficult for new players to start PvP).

Thoughts?

+1 to these in particular. I've always found that the curve is the primary beneficial feature for new players.

If a change was made for Epic to have the same skill gain as freedom the following could be changed:

The curve could be modified slightly to allow people to get to effective 50-70 skill even faster. Changing the curve in this way would work with the slower freedom skill gain, ensuring that it's not any harder for newer players to get started, whilst still keeping compatibility with Freedom. This is a change that can be implemented without causing any issues with the 1:1 transfer of skills, whilst keeping the Epic mindset of getting newer player involved quicker! Effective skill gain to actual skill gain ratio after 70 can remain relatively unchanged, so there's still worth in building your account to the extremes.

It's a simple, elegant solution, especially compared to over-engineered one we currently have. But these simple solutions are often the best.

Edit:
What I'm suggesting is something like this to replace the current curve (in green), with the line in blue (apologies for the mspaint line), along with introducing freedom skill gain to Epic:

DJeTgZv.png

Edited by BrokenSanity
  • Like 2

About initiial skilling speed on Epic: to grind a skill to actual 30 (which translates 50 effective) is about one hour with sleep bonus on but without coc tools (we did that yesterday on a few toons; JS and digging). It is really lightning fast, I don't see the need to tweak further.

At higher skills: I've raised a creation only skill (metallurgy) by 0.13 using sleep bonus in about 600 actions (1.7 sec per action timer) at 72 actual skill level which is also really nice - and I used good ql mats as the goal were  the products and not skilling (as I understand this is a major benefit of the new, success based skilling system).

Success based skill ticks are much more intuitive and means you get real skill when actually work with that skill. I would suggest to keep that on Epic, don't revert!

BTW: Contrary to beliefs, there is no 100% skill tick rate for successes, as the skill got higher I started to see successful actions without a skilltick, but the ratio is still very good.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jaz said:

About initiial skilling speed on Epic: to grind a skill to actual 30 (which translates 50 effective) is about one hour with sleep bonus on but without coc tools (we did that yesterday on a few toons; JS and digging). It is really lightning fast, I don't see the need to tweak further.

As it is now, yes.  But if a change was made to make Epic skill gain equal to Freedom, the curve could be tweaked to ensure new players aren't affected by the change in skill gain.

I really dislike how Freedom skillgain works, and much prefer the system on Epic (even if imperfect). One other helpful change for newbies, at least on Epic, is that usage = skillgain up to level 20. So you don't need skill or RNG to get a skill going.

No way I want to go back to the Freedom 1-39 RNG method. If Freedom were updated to skill like Epic (just not 2x), then sure. :)

the thing that will bring people in to pvp is to be able to be competitive. maybe not everyone, but some people like that rush of the start and the unknown. You learn and you get better from that. What I think this game needs is a mode in which people play the game at an accelerated rate and then it ends at some point, but it has to happen at some point to give other new and old people a chance to be at the top level within a short time to feel they are competing and learning from there mistakes and prefecting their strategies. Do away with priest limitations, it's kind of dumb to just have an alt pray and get faith. Why not just let us be the priest, the fighter, and the crafter?  When you look at the top players on epic currently, who are you really competing with? Mostly the same old people/accounts, or a few others who have worked there way up and stuck around over lets say the last year or 2.  Have roughly 4-8 or so different maps and rotate them for awhile. Start a new one say every "14 days" and have them last "28 days". So if someone wants to jump in late to kind of figure it out, in 2 weeks a new one will start. If it's popular maybe have one start each week "7 days". All with different goals/scenario objectives which initially should be about skilling, equipment,tools, food and shelter/survival etc the first week. Then progress thru mid to late game each week of the month or as objectives are completed. Maybe one scenario is finished quickly from team work/effort skill and cooperation and ends before 28 days. or if at the end it is very close extend it for another week, until there is a clear winning side. Similar to challenge but different. I'd like to see religion changes, to where you can collect spells from creatures, chests, etc. learn them and be able to use that ability. obviously still with requirements, I see prayer as being more of a mana regen tool then to build faith with. The higher your prayer, the more mana/gifts you can receive. I'd prefer to have a base mana(faith) and be able to increase/decrease it with items/equipment, etc. Like maybe make jewelery kind of a thing other than no locate. Make different camps/areas that get over run by trolls or goblins or wolves, etc. have towers already down and territory claimed by conquering it to give your kingdom influence. Have affinities given off death from an overall skill total, not just 20 fight skill for tho people who dont fight but just craft/pray etc. Wurm but quicker, funner, and more competitive. or is someone knows how to make a game let me know, I have some more ideas.

Edited by Aetherion

I'd really like to see changes between skills from Freedom to Epic.  I've been grinding away on Epic and also thinking I might be losing out on Freedom.  Loving the curve and just wish my skills could go back and forth between to the two and only have curve on Epic so skills in the 70s put you in the middle of the action instead of needing 90 skill.

On 11/17/2017 at 3:16 PM, Xallo said:

Nobody is going to grind on Epic first, and then jump back to Freedom via portal and grind there a second time.

Hey... That's what I've been doing since the update.

correction: one person is going.... 

btw.