header.png

“You never know what you will find in caves, so send someone else in first.”

Sir Baggins at the foot of an old abandoned cave 

Hi Everyone!

Another week down, and it's a bit of a slow news day today, with ongoing updates and adjustments, as well as collection of feedback and all that fun stuff that comes after a major update. 

But first...

Patch Notes

Spoiler

Patch Notes 12/11/17

Epic to Freedom Skill Transfers

A one time transfer for all Epic accounts skills as of the 2nd of November to Freedom will be performed during this update.
We will be applying a calculation to remove the 2x skillgain and reduce Epic skills to an estimated Freedom equivilent. Freedom skills will then have their highest value set to equal to the original Epic skill and give a 3x multiplier until that is reached on Freedom.

NOTE: THIS ONLY APPLIES IF YOUR PRE-ADJUSTED EPIC SKILL IS HIGHER THAN YOUR FREEDOM SKILL. IF YOUR FREEDOM SKILL IS HIGHER THAN YOUR PRE-ADJUSTED EPIC SKILL IT WILL NOT CROSS.

• Characteristics and Meditation skills will cross at a 1:1 ratio.
  • Faith, Favour, and Alignment will not cross at all.

For more information on the process behind the transfers, please read:
https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/158305-some-epic-things/

Additionally, all premium accounts affected by this transfer will have their premium extended by 10 days to account for the delay in processing this transfer.

General changes

• Added “May plant” permission to village roles.
  • Placing a wagoner container now requires May plant” permission.
  • Placing a wagoner will now require “May place merchants” permission.

Bug Fixes:

• Bugfix: Various text fixes.
  • Bugfix: Rounded stone bridge icons now have correct images.
  • Bugfix: The chocolate milk recipe should no longer be shown as a sub recipe when cow milk is required.
  • Bugfix: Building over planted items underground should give you the take option as it does above ground.
  • Bugfix: Action bar will now correctly identify what you are gathering (kelp, reed or grass) based on the tile type.
  • Bugfix: Fixed error message when viewing history of branded animals via right click permissions.
  • Bugfix: Pulp and paper now indicate the correct woodtype.

Client fixes:

• Fixed rain occlusion related crash on some Linux GPU drivers.
  • Rain occlusion is now linked to Detailed Weather option in settings.
  • Addressed an issue where mine doors occassionally appeared flat.
  • General performance improvements.
  • Addressed memory issues with other players in local.

Patch Notes 15/NOV/17

Epic to Freedom skill transfer fixes

Characters which had higher unmodified epic skills but lower after modification should now have their correct freedom values.

Mission fixes

• Unfinished epic structures will no longer generate ritual missions .
  • Text fixes with mission descriptions.
  • Fixed water creatures spawning on land for missions.
  • Difficulty ranges for missions have been adjusted.
  • Rewards for missions have been adjusted upwards.

Archaeology Fixes

• Changed inhabited and abandoned deed time frames on investigations into show ingame times.
  • Tool enchants will now work correctly with investigate and identify.
  • Corrected weights of large and small amphorae when completed from fragments.
  • All fragments will now form a pile.
  • Damaged fragments can no longer be repaired .
  • Decay rate of fragments has been reduced.
  • Removed double Identify option in inventory.

General fixes:

• Bugfix: New members joining a PMK from the portal should properly show on the member list.
  • Bugfix: Fixed a text issue when prospecting a rock salt wall.
  • Bugfix: Mark of the traitor should not show in examine message for creatures not involved in a traitor mission.
  • Bugfix: Bulk move actions now keep track of number of items to move when queued.

Patch Notes 17/NOV/17

5 hours sleep bonus due to the skill rollback from last update has been awarded to all accounts
  • Player god missions should no longer spawn on Freedom.
  • Instead of being individually added upon branding, creatures will now have a special role for citizens with brand permissions on a deed. This will mean leaving the deed will revoke all permissions on branded creatures.

General Fixes

• Bugfix: Permission window for bison should now correctly say Can Lead instead of Can Ride.
  • Bugfix: Fixed the issue with slay champion creature missions not advancing.
  • Bugfix: Libila animal sacrifice missions removed from Freedom.

Branding WSA
In today's update we introduced a new permissions group for branded animals, grouping anyone with the brand animals permission on a deed. Previously they were all individually added, which had the downside of those permissions staying even if that person left the village. With this update if someone leaves the village, they no longer have permissions to manage the creature. You can also deny permissions to this group if you have a personal horse.

brand.png

W.S.A. Currently this group does not copy over to the corpse upon creature death, so the items will not be able to be looted. This will be rectified in an upcoming update to address this issue. If you are concerned a bout losing gear and not being a ble to collect it please use specific names

Discord! 
A few weeks ago we launched our own Official Discord channel, and this week we were verified! Our server now has A custom invite link at   https://discord.gg/wurm and higher priority voice servers. It also means that our server is verified, and totally cool! (It was already cool, trust me). If you're not familiar with discord, it's definitely worth checking out, it's a great way to stay in touch with Wurmians outside of the game, and also join your own little communities, there's several community ones out there for servers already, so check them out too! But for the official one, check out:

discord.png

WU Beta

I know with the release of Archaeology, Restoration and all those other goodies, many of our Wurm Unlimited players are chomping at the bit to get their hands on them. Right now our focus is getting it all working nice and smoothly in WO, and we'll continue to adjust and work with feedback until we're satisfied it's running perfectly, then release a beta. 

There's no ETA on the beta yet, but it's being worked towards, so keep your eyes peeled for it in the coming weeks!

Creature Crates
Each weekly news is rightfully met with the question "but what about creature crates?!" I know it can be tough waiting for these to come, and the last thing we want is another bridges, but work does progress on them, just a bit slowly, given the many areas we need to address, and in some cases redesign systems that were never intended to include creatures crossing. It's a long process and one we hope improves border crossing as a whole in the future, but until then though, we have no set date for their release.

Community Content

In this weeks community content, veteran grinder Ondar shares their tips on grinding as well as what drives them to the grind. I cannot fathom the statement "Yeah, good old WS. Its easier to grind it 3rd time around", clearly a sign of a deranged mind! Ondar has an awesome little blog where they share their wurmian adventures, and also what they focus on to grind, what do you grind and why?

http://unrealondar.blogspot.com.au/2017/11/grindity-grind-burnity-burn.html

That's it for this weeks news, we're beginning to set our sights on future updates and looking ahead into 2018, with plenty more in the works. What could be coming? You'll just have to wait and see..

Until next time though, keep on Wurming!
Retrograde & the Wurm team.

• Like 8

1st?  I don't know how this works.  Official discord is cool--the unofficial one is quite dead most of the time, at least in my experience.

Edited by Slickshot

Given the minor, but annoying, issues over skill transfers, I'm happy to wait for creature crate until they're right :)

So Freedom will be purely Fo, Vyn, Mag and Lib missions once the current player god missions cycle out?

Edited by Darmalus

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Wurm Unlimited players are chomping at the bit to get their hands on them. Right now our focus is getting it all working nice and smoothly in WO, and we'll continue to adjust and work with feedback until we're satisfied it's running perfectly, then release a beta.

In general I would think that WU players are more concerned with their servers being messed up by updates than they are about how soon they arrive, so I would say that your stated policy of "until we're satisfied it's running perfectly" is the best one to follow. No need to rush anything as the majority of the more recent updates have been focused around Epic pvp and the pvp aspect of WU is more one that is tailored to individual servers desires, meaning that there is a lot more variety of choices available there and other servers that ignore it entirely (fortunately).

=Ayes=

I'm confused about missions, are we going to be limited to only Fo, Lib and Mag on Freedom now (since Vyn was removed from missions years ago)?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Evening said:

I'm confused about missions, are we going to be limited to only Fo, Lib and Mag on Freedom now (since Vyn was removed from missions years ago)?

Can't have too much fun, there are rules to prevent that in wurm.

I am fine with shrinking the amount of missions as long as they make the missions actually possible to do.

For instance I do not think building 4 pylons or 4 caravels is a mission that can be done in a timely manner, even if someone wanted to build 4 caravels. Or sacrificing 600 iron breastplates, really?

Traitor missions are tough ones, maybe shorten the lifespan of the mission and some missions like kill 32 blue whales, good luck even finding one or two of those.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Evening said:

same on epic now, seems weird to remove the sources of karma/sb while reducing the rewards for most(?) missions

4 hours ago, Evening said:

Hey, yeah, why don't we have Vyn missions?

Special thanks to @Buddafor the amazing job of running missions right into the ground, it is about time something was done, cause there was a few folks playing wurm that enjoyed doing these and we certainly can't have that can we.

nRq4y8r.jpg?1

Btw these are missions on Exodus and even though tree missions have this massive glowing blue ball of light right on the tree itself, good luck finding that one, cause we have searched for it up to 2 locals to the east of that deed and it is not to be found.

• Like 3

Missions should be a epic feature only. You're welcome for whatever spills over tho.

17 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

Missions should be a epic feature only. You're welcome for whatever spills over tho.

Epic should be deleted and the game should be Freedom and Wild only. You're welcome for being allowed to keep diverting development resources tho.

• Like 4

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:02 PM, Dorian said:

Hey, yeah, why don't we have Vyn missions?

bump lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Special thanks to @Buddafor the amazing job of running missions right into the ground, it is about time something was done, cause there was a few folks playing wurm that enjoyed doing these and we certainly can't have that can we.

nRq4y8r.jpg?1

Btw these are missions on Exodus and even though tree missions have this massive glowing blue ball of light right on the tree itself, good luck finding that one, cause we have searched for it up to 2 locals to the east of that deed and it is not to be found.

bug 1: tree effect doesn't seem to stay after a server reset

bug 2: tree missions may be spawning too far from the deed mentioned

300 wires seems fine, and since slay missions now spawn additional mobs, the cave bug things works fine. 

don't forget that missions can now provide more than the 30 minutes they could in the past, the tree mission for example (which is why I assume you're doing it)

Rewards: 500 karma and 30m sleep bonus for the person who completes this mission with 60m extra sleep bonus split between nearby players upon completion (30m max each)

This means you get 30 minutes for doing it, and 60 minutes split between everyone in local, if you have one other person in local it means 60 minutes for the person cutting it down, and 30 minutes for someone watching you

spamming out missions for sleep bonus and karma can be fun, these changes are aimed at making them worthwhile to complete and chain  instead of just waiting for easy ones to do, some may be tough, but reflect that by giving bigger rewards for completion.

And if you do encounter bugs with the mission system, or things that don't  work well, make sure to report it in the server bugs section, link here:

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/forum/28-server-bugs/

Vynora was removed from missions a long time ago when she was removed as a competing god on Epic, due to Jenn-Kellon having two gods to do missions for and therefore twice the chances. It's possible she may return in some fashion, but it depends on a few factors first.

Hmm. Right now, it would help if sleep bonus awards weren't dependent on how much you already had. :)

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Vynora was removed from missions a long time ago when she was removed as a competing god on Epic, due to Jenn-Kellon having two gods to do missions for and therefore twice the chances. It's possible she may return in some fashion, but it depends on a few factors first.

You just removed gods from Freedom without removing them from Epic, just do the same thing and give Vynora back to Freedom and don't give her to Epic.

8 minutes ago, Darmalus said:

You just removed gods from Freedom without removing them from Epic, just do the same thing and give Vynora back to Freedom and don't give her to Epic.

They were removed from Epic and Freedom. The missions spawning without names was the bug, the earlier patch note included they were gone. 

On 11/9/2017 at 0:05 AM, DevBlog said:
  • Fixed player god missions on non-epic servers so they don’t respawn.

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

spamming out missions for sleep bonus and karma can be fun, these changes are aimed at making them worthwhile to complete and chain  instead of just waiting for easy ones to do, some may be tough, but reflect that by giving bigger rewards for completion.

If that were the aim, why are missions on traitor creatures and specific monuments the way they are? Even on smaller servers these missions aren't commonly completed. On Independence and Xanadu they're so difficult you'd generally be wasting your time. Even if these missions gave 10 times their current rewards, people wouldn't spend days searching a quadrant of Xanadu for a single creature or monument.

These are not new concerns, mind you, these are concerns that were aired when we were asked for our feedback on missions that resulted in these changes. You've cut the number of missions active in third but not done anything to the impossible missions.

If you want these to be tough but possible, you could make it so you can always see which direction a traitor creature and monument is in. Or open the monument missions up to any of that type (Foundation Pillar or Shrine or whatever).

• Like 4

Monument ritual missions reward exploring and mapping, and I wound up liking those missions pre-update. Finding the monuments was hard, but once I had them mapped, subsequent missions were easy.

Searching for a specific, roaming creature is very hard, though. What if the Lurker in the woods/deep spells were modified to include traitors? Would make those spells more useful, and I could see pendulum sales with those casts ticking up. :)

At that, it would be nice if you could also use pendulums to search for a specific animal, to help with the "slay 130 tortoises" style missions.

15 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

Monument ritual missions reward exploring and mapping, and I wound up liking those missions pre-update. Finding the monuments was hard, but once I had them mapped, subsequent missions were easy.

I also mapped all the monuments, which on Xanadu was no easy feat. However, now every monument is a valid spot, not just the 17 (?) constructed at the proper time. This means hundreds on Xanadu, increasing with every passing day. It is no longer feasible to know where even a fraction of these are.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, thorgot said:

I also mapped all the monuments, which on Xanadu was no easy feat. However, now every monument is a valid spot, not just the 17 (?) constructed at the proper time. This means hundreds on Xanadu, increasing with every passing day. It is no longer feasible to know where even a fraction of these are.

Ah, I haven't seen that mechanic, then.

Possible to map these epic structures on the small servers, but forget it on the large ones.

FYI, I just saw a Fo mission appear on Serenity that had an expiration time earlier than its start time. It vanished pretty quickly.