Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

The Great Archaeology Rage Thread

Personally as a char who doesn't have all their skills maxed, I like all the 'junk' I'm getting, lumps, ore, marble, tools, weapons are all coming out at higher ql than I can make or mine.

• Like 1

I'm getting fragments of max 68ql with 61 Arch skill, dunno what fragment ql is decided by tho.

Edited by Hailiah
error

I think tool QL plays a big role, I have noticed that I get much better fragments since I started using better tools....

Just now, Etherdrifter said:

I think tool QL plays a big role, I have noticed that I get much better fragments since I started using better tools....

Could you pass the message along to my 92QL rare trowel? He wasn't informed.

• Like 1

i'm using a steel shovel (55ql) now, dunno what difference that makes either...

Edited by Hailiah

3 hours ago, Nadroj said:

Could you pass the message along to my 92QL rare trowel? He wasn't informed.

yup my tool at 71 skill and 92ql does maybe 25ql avg on the frags

so according to

the statues do not seem to be impable.

really?

thats so dumb its kind of hilarious yet at the same time really, really sad. you're supposed to grind to 99 archaeology to get a decent chance to even find a fragment, then gather 83 for a statue and have it come out at something like a sub-standard sub-30 ql? even the gods would frown at this, and we know that they're satisfied fairly easily by 30ql junk.

2 minutes ago, Arium said:

so according to

the statues do not seem to be impable.

really?

thats so dumb its kind of hilarious yet at the same time really, really sad. you're supposed to grind to 99 archaeology to get a decent chance to even find a fragment, then gather 83 for a statue and have it come out at something like a sub-standard sub-30 ql? even the gods would frown at this, and we know that they're satisfied fairly easily by 30ql junk.

I really hope that's an oversight....can't imagine any good reason to prevent players from imping the completed statues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nadroj said:

I really hope that's an oversight....can't imagine any good reason to prevent players from imping the completed statues.

It does not even light up, which would sorta make up for it being such low ql, you don't even start finding the statue bits till high 50s, low 60s in skill, so you would think you could achieve better than 30ql in a statue.

2 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

It does not even light up, which would sorta make up for it being such low ql, you don't even start finding the statue bits till high 50s, low 60s in skill, so you would think you could achieve better than 30ql in a statue.

Agreed, you be able to dye them with your own dye also, these should be better than hota statues tbh.

I'm going on a limb, no doubt will be proven wrong, but non-impable means less chane of having thousands around across all the servers thereby keeping them, to some extent, uncommon.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

I'm going on a limb, no doubt will be proven wrong, but non-impable means less chane of having thousands around across all the servers thereby keeping them, to some extent, uncommon.

imping a statue is not going to spawn more, it does not work that way, lol

imping these excavated artifacts could of been done same as waystones and catseyes and use resto skill which surely would make having a statue more valuable and desirable to finish making rather than assembling low ql ores and rockshards

Edited by JakeRivers

At 99 archaeology and 99 restoration I still get more below 30 ql fragments then above using a 90+ rare trowel with rune, I have also tried using a 90+ rare shovel with rune and find I get more above 30 ql fragments but succeed less so I get less pieces and less skill gain per investigation actions done.

Using the higher ql tools off deed I do however get very high ql junk pieces.

Depending on the area I investigate I can get 3 - 8 statue/mask fragments normally below 30ql, also the less the spot has been investigated I get more higher ql pieces and if I get lucky and find an old enough deed no one else has investigated yet even better.

I think some kind of tweaking is needed for these skills.

I agree it would be very nice if we could at least improve our statues once they are completed. :wub:

Edited by VelvetSun

I just got back to doing archealogy after a break from it and I'm now touching on 70 skill - I still have yet to find a single mask fragment - how rare are these things supposed to be? How am I supposed to ever find 10 of the same kind if I cannot even find a single one among a thousand fragments. Statue fragments still seem incredibly far and few inbetween (can you really not imp them? thats disapointing) but theyre out there. I only search for fragments on the chaos server in locations where I know have been enemy deeds long ago - I recall this is supposed to result in the finding of more "special" fragments (whatever that may mean). 

I'm grinding it because why not, it gives body control and the statues are nice if I ever manage to assemble one, but it really does seem like some more stuff could be added to it. Shoulderpads, maybe even special weapons you cannot normally craft (warhammers please). Something that came to my mind also was with the new metal types, who gives a hoot about being able to assemble an iron tool or weapon that MAYBE has one or two runes or a 1 power enchant - itd be great if they were a special metal. Speaking of metals, very rarely finding a fragment of moonmetal would be nice.

An almanac like book to keep records in would be great, especially if this information shows up again whenever you examine a tile on a deed you have reported on. Boom up the paper business! Sell history books on the SW portion of Independence! Be a tour guide for new people and amaze them with your endless knowledge.

Edited by Alyeska

4 hours ago, Alyeska said:

I just got back to doing archealogy after a break from it and I'm now touching on 70 skill - I still have yet to find a single mask fragment - how rare are these things supposed to be? How am I supposed to ever find 10 of the same kind if I cannot even find a single one among a thousand fragments. Statue fragments still seem incredibly far and few inbetween (can you really not imp them? thats disapointing) but theyre out there. I only search for fragments on the chaos server in locations where I know have been enemy deeds long ago - I recall this is supposed to result in the finding of more "special" fragments (whatever that may mean). 

I'm grinding it because why not, it gives body control and the statues are nice if I ever manage to assemble one, but it really does seem like some more stuff could be added to it. Shoulderpads, maybe even special weapons you cannot normally craft (warhammers please). Something that came to my mind also was with the new metal types, who gives a hoot about being able to assemble an iron tool or weapon that MAYBE has one or two runes or a 1 power enchant - itd be great if they were a special metal. Speaking of metals, very rarely finding a fragment of moonmetal would be nice.

An almanac like book to keep records in would be great, especially if this information shows up again whenever you examine a tile on a deed you have reported on. Boom up the paper business! Sell history books on the SW portion of Independence! Be a tour guide for new people and amaze them with your endless knowledge.

I grinded it up to 80 on one account and 72 on another, never seen a mask fragment and get 90% utter junk. Haven't touched the skill since a few weeks after it came out when it become 100% clear that it's not worth it.

5 hours ago, Alyeska said:

I just got back to doing archaeology after a break from it and I'm now touching on 70 skill - I still have yet to find a single mask fragment - how rare are these things supposed to be? How am I supposed to ever find 10 of the same kind if I cannot even find a single one among a thousand fragments. Statue fragments still seem incredibly far and few in between (can you really not imp them? that's disappointing) but they're out there. I only search for fragments on the chaos server in locations where I know have been enemy deeds long ago - I recall this is supposed to result in the finding of more "special" fragments (whatever that may mean). 

It all depends on the deed you are investigating. The longer the deed was there, the length of time since it disbanned.

You have played for a long time so you might know of old deeds that were around for a long time, investigate those spots.

Investigating places no deed ever was you will find mostly junk fragments.

I find the best pieces when it says things like this - It looks to have been abandoned for roughly 54 years, 1 month, somewhere around the year 1018. and this - You make a rough estimate that the settlement was inhabited for about 15 years, 10 months.

Also the more deeds that were there helps as well - You can see multiple markers of abandoned settlements here.

I have completed all the statues and have made several of all the masks.

* Once you find a good spot you can keep going back to that spot it refreshes like foraging and botanizing does.

Happy investigating :wub:

Edited by VelvetSun
  • Like 3

They put too much 'chance' in the info it finds. I'm 42+ now and I only recently found info about 2 deeds. According to wiki, I should've been finding info since I was 30 skill, but for most of that time it just said the original 'there may have been a settlement here' or 'there was nothing here' stuff.

Also, it finds so much random stuff that you are unlikely to complete much...you just end up with numerous fragments that all sit somewhere decaying. (At least they adjusted that down a lot...I lost my first few batches to decay.)

I am glad they gave us stone chisel ticks with it also. That skill was sorely in need of something that pushed it up.

When it says may have been then it really means there was one there, stick to doing those spots more info will come as you gain more skill. I started getting statue piece fairly early on and I started getting mask pieces once I hit 70 but remember location location location very important.

:wub:

If you are fortunate enough to get enough clues to 'locate where the deed was" you will get a chest with a mini token and at least 10 fragments.  These have a larger percentage of statue fragments and often rarer pieces of armour and masks I have found.

I just hate that it comes with so many fails on some of the areas , it gets tiring to keep seeing the same message about multiple deeds but no useful information about those deeds.

Edited by skyefox

On 11/18/2017 at 6:34 AM, Nadroj said:

Honestly my least favourite thing about wurm, always has been Rolf's love of keeping how everything works secret from the players. I can't stand it and it saddens me to see it carry on under new direction. Why is it necessary to put effort into making the players clueless about how everything functions. When Wurm Unlimited came out some of the revelations of things people had spent years wasting their time on were frankly atrocious and completely unnecessary in my opinion. Obviously that's just how i feel about it but it just seems to me like you've got a skill a lot of people feel isn't currently worth the effort...so TELL THEM WHAT THEY CAN GET FROM IT! Surely it would only serve to please people to know more about what they could get and maybe quell some of the grumbling? Surely it's just more effort on your part to put in place "algorithms to stop the code divers". I wish we'd never needed code divers...and i'm one who's benefited massively from being able to look into the WU code to learn about the game, just let everyone know how it all works i say.

I feel exactly the same way.  Having come back to wurm Online it's annoying as hell I can't see what the effects are of what I'm doing!  What's the difference between 5ql on a tool?  Weapon?  Armor?  It just makes the game feel "Dead" that we can't see the results.  Why hide everything so dumb!  You're intentionally hiding content, perhaps for the remaining existence of your game...  Doesn't make sense.

Edited by jonsnow