Sign in to follow this  
DevBlog

Patch Notes 12/11/17

Kind of worried there's not going to be many people actively playing on Epic anymore, now that we have only one way transfers.

I wish we could have kept the old skill system on Epic and permanently allowed two way transfers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, BrokenSanity said:

Kind of worried there's not going to be many people actively playing on Epic anymore, now that we have only one way transfers.

I wish we could have kept the old skill system on Epic and permanently allowed two way transfers.

to allow permanent transfers epic skill would have to have been halved. 

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

to allow permanent transfers epic skill would have to have been halved. 

Couldn't Budda's algorithm just have been applied every time you moved from epic to Freedom? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrokenSanity said:

Couldn't Budda's algorithm just have been applied every time you moved from epic to Freedom? 

The formula isnt exact, and runs on a "best guess" calculation, after simulating millions of skillgain actions. This is why the 3x was added as well.

The main reason for the skill transfer was due to the changes to the skilling system on Epic, with the new system in it moves further away from Freedom style gains and means the transfer option would not work well. 

If someone wishes to play on both, skilling on freedom to cross to epic to pvp isnt a bad thing, and it's something we encourage with the lack of cooldown on crossing and sleep bonus when on the other side. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

If someone wishes to play on both, skilling on freedom to cross to epic to pvp isnt a bad thing, and it's something we encourage with the lack of cooldown on crossing and sleep bonus when on the other side. 

The implications of this statement are pretty big. If you can go to a safe place on Freedom to skill what's the point of having a deed etc on Epic? You only need a deed in order to maintain a supply of horses, weapons etc. So realistically one deed could suffice for each kingdom's PVP needs.

This is turn means that Epic becomes a place less lived in meaning fewer accidental encounters and targets of opportunity. Instead people can skill in safety and occasionally come over to fight on Epic knowing that everything of importance is safely protected back on Freedom.

So with time, less deeds and lower population are likely on Epic except for the planned big battles between kingdoms.

It's interesting that we've adopted a model which supports a more protected lifestyle rather then encouraged the older Epic view of nothing is really protected, PVP could happen anywhere including home servers.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, MrGARY said:

fs was reduced?  we were told it would be 1:1?

Indeed, FS was never really discussed as to why it wasnt handled as the characteristics.

Id like a developer to explain the thought behind it (not saying their descision was wrong just wondering why it wasnt 1:1)

I even tested last night killing a scorpion on freedom yielded the exact same FS by the very decimal as on Epic , so FS was never affected by the curve.

Ontop of the FS being nerfed it didnt recieve the 3x skill gain as the other skills until they reach epic's highest skill.

This I think is because FS cant be modified by exp bonuses like the other skills am I right? 

Other then that im happy the epic transfer got out this weekend even if it had a few errors we still got it and thanks to all devs working on it, I really appreciated it as now I can waste my prem days away on freedom grinding.

@Retrograde(Sorry to call you here friend but did you hear anything about this?)

Fight skill wasnt crossing, only stats and meditation, as we stated. 

Why wasnt it crossing? and also why wasnt it 3x if it got nerfed is the question really.

wtb prayer 20m time limit removal on epic

that way i can port over get my 5 prayers and port back to building my retirement deed on freedom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Fight skill wasnt crossing, only stats and meditation, as we stated. 

i get why for freedom to epic but not for the one time epic to freedom

4 hours ago, elroth said:

i get why for freedom to epic but not for the one time epic to freedom

Freedom kept their FS to epic and will keep for future transfers too

I get that you're trying to build a structured and more populated PvP environment in Wurm... but I really feel like the recent changes have ruined the game. 

the fact act I can now priest on epic, cross to freedom to skill and bring the skills across, begs the question as to why anyone wouldn't priest. Things like this are Wurm mechanics which have been around for years...

Thats just one change on a list of changes I feel you haven't thought through properly. 

Epic is simply a gimmick PvP server which I just can't see lasting long.

20 hours ago, Nocturnes said:

Freedom kept their FS to epic and will keep for future transfers too

i dont care about that. 

I dont understand why one of my tunes has 78 fightskill on epic and now has 70 on freedom. with no x3 

so its reduced but not x3 ? or is it bugged?

whats going on ?

1 hour ago, elroth said:

i dont care about that. 

I dont understand why one of my tunes has 78 fightskill on epic and now has 70 on freedom. with no x3 

so its reduced but not x3 ? or is it bugged?

whats going on ?

Yeah the FS never recieved a x3 for some reason its not a bug its intended I guess?!

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:13 PM, BrokenSanity said:

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:31 AM, Nappy said:

The implications of this statement are pretty big. If you can go to a safe place on Freedom to skill what's the point of having a deed etc on Epic? You only need a deed in order to maintain a supply of horses, weapons etc. So realistically one deed could suffice for each kingdom's PVP needs.

This is turn means that Epic becomes a place less lived in meaning fewer accidental encounters and targets of opportunity. Instead people can skill in safety and occasionally come over to fight on Epic knowing that everything of importance is safely protected back on Freedom.

So with time, less deeds and lower population are likely on Epic except for the planned big battles between kingdoms.

It's interesting that we've adopted a model which supports a more protected lifestyle rather then encouraged the older Epic view of nothing is really protected, PVP could happen anywhere including home servers.

For the record, I mostly agree with the above predictions and opinions.

But I believe one of two things needs to happen:

Either .....

1) The constant freedom to epic skill updating when crossing servers should be removed entirely and let the transfer be complete. That way epic can grind epic and freedom can grind freedom. Then there will be nothing to ruin the game by wondering where you want to skill gain and not having to remove yourself from the server you invested in.

OR

2) Update Freedom servers with the new epic skill system and allow skill sheets to copy over, both ways when crossing. Leave faith, meditation paths, and the economy(items, gear, etc) separate. Leave the curve on epic only. This will spare Freedom any economic losses and continue to promote faster PvP activity on EPIC. If the skill gain is equal then we are equal. If we can cross and copy one way then it should be the other as well.

There is always a solution out there. Let us know when you find it.

Edited by Trollslayer

On 11/13/2017 at 5:31 AM, Nappy said:

the older Epic view of nothing is really protected, PVP could happen anywhere including home servers.

Tell that to a 30% CR nerf and untauntable merchants on homeservers.

Older view? Lol

On 11/13/2017 at 3:51 AM, Retrograde said:

It sounds as if you are saying you don't want an active population on the epic cluster. Nappy said it best, everyone grinding on freedom means less overall population and because of that less accidental pvp encounters. Sure people will hop back to do missions and hota for a while but even that will start happening less and less until eventually there is just no one playing on epic anymore. By saying that the transfers are a one way street from freedom to epic and that you don't intend to look into making it two way you are effectively telling the epic population that freedom is more important to you than we are. I know it will take some well thought out coding but isn't it worth the time to let a part of your playerbase know that they mean just as much to you as the other 70%+? Please just try to make this skill transfer two way.

Edited by Araxiel
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Olloch said:

Tell that to a 30% CR nerf and untauntable merchants on homeservers.

Older view? Lol

I suspect we are talking an order of magnitude difference here if we are comparing the freedom free pass to your points. Having said that I have no objections to investigating fair options for both the merchants and the CR nerf. We should also reopen the vein cap on home servers as part of this too.

When it originally sounded like skilling would be much faster on epic V2 it seemed like it would be a reasonable trade off for people to bring skills from freedom where the grind is much much slower or they stay on epic with a 4x skill gain speed with more risk. We didn't end up with the 4x it sounded like we were getting on Epic so now it's unbalanced too much towards avoiding any risk at all.

On 11/13/2017 at 4:51 AM, Retrograde said:

The formula isnt exact, and runs on a "best guess" calculation, after simulating millions of skillgain actions. This is why the 3x was added as well.

The main reason for the skill transfer was due to the changes to the skilling system on Epic, with the new system in it moves further away from Freedom style gains and means the transfer option would not work well. 

If the calculation that was made a "best guess" could this not just be a template and altered to co-exist with the new system?  as long as (Freedomskill) < (EpicSkill) it could run the formula to compensate for the curve and system? therefore you would not have skill loss VIA freedomskill compared to epic cluster?  it would be a best hope to have people actually still staying on epic, knowing that their skills can carry over, even at a reduced rate. In this situation something feels better than nothing, and i feel since this "Pandora's Box" has been opened it should have been considered from the beginning.  Even if it is not implemented right a way, it would be nice to know that you are watching all aspects of what the community thinks. I play on Freedom, but i can obviously see an outcry for this to be added and i agree with them.

Edited by Kichi
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2017 at 3:51 AM, Retrograde said:

If someone wishes to play on both, skilling on freedom to cross to epic to pvp isnt a bad thing, and it's something we encourage

I'm a bit late on this, but why exactly is this something that's encouraged?  Why are people encouraged to come to my server with no intention of staying, try to kill a few people with absolutely no risk of long term consequences, then return to their "real life" where everything is completely safe?

Not only does it draw people from Freedom to Epic with the wrong mindset, it draws people away from Epic to Freedom since it's the "smartest" place to grind.

What is the long term vision here?  What do you imagine a typical Epic player's day should look like?

Honestly, these days I think Epic should just be the same rate as Freedom but allow a curve when creating/imping items. That way, epic can grind on epic and still portal to freedom if it goes quiet. 

Right now, i've seen for myself there is no point doing an intense click based grind with 1 second timers or w/e on epic, when you can't go freedom.
Better to go freedom, slow grind on freedom and have the choice of both. :/ 

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:57 PM, Mclavin said:

Honestly, these days I think Epic should just be the same rate as Freedom but allow a curve when creating/imping items. That way, epic can grind on epic and still portal to freedom if it goes quiet. 

Right now, i've seen for myself there is no point doing an intense click based grind with 1 second timers or w/e on epic, when you can't go freedom.
Better to go freedom, slow grind on freedom and have the choice of both. :/ 

Wow, this guy. Thank you. No joke on the action timers. Please nerf the timing a good bit and finally bring the servers together by allowing skill sheet transfers both ways. Use the same system as freedom on epic OR use the new epic skill system on freedom. Just bring us all together already.

But of course, keep the economy, meditation paths and faith separate and the curve can remain on Epic without affecting freedom.

Sign in to follow this