Sign in to follow this  
Smilingcat

Massive lag in towns even on lowest settings

Hi guys, I am playing Wurm over 10 years now, and I have not experienced such massive lag so far.

Yesterday though, I went to update a merchant in Glasshollow and wanted to mail something.

I had to move from the Market to the starter town, and got killed by spiders due to the massive lag.

I didn't even see the spiders, just saw my health bar going down between lag attacks.

The whole action took me over 1 hour this time, but has formerly been performed within 2 minutes or so.

I had relogged in between because the client froze my whole system at some point.

No other programs were open, and I am running minimum graphic and advanced graphic settings.

In my home deed in the wilderness on Independence I do not get this massive lag,

but close to Glasshollow and around Amish Paradise close to Summerholt where I have another merchant, I can barely move at all.

Client freezing for minutes at a time, then I can make one more step, then it freezes again.

This must have happened in the past 4 weeks with some update, that is about the time frame when I have been there last to update stuff.

In the meantime, my home town in the wilderness worked smooth all the time, so not sure if this is even a client issue, or a server issue, or maybe some new graphical shiny stuff that got implemented with too high poly, lod or textures, and people just went berserk building it. Maybe it is the flags even and something changed about those, or people made massively more of them suddenly where I experience the lag. I remember seeing plenty of flags and cats eyes in both places.

For the record: I am using Windows 8.1 64 bit version, with 64 bit java. I am usually installing  the java updates right away except if there is a warning about a version, only then I skip it.

I usually remove all old versions before installing the new.

Any ideas how to defeat the lag monster are appreciated.

But I want to say is, if a new person logs into a starter town and gets an experience like this, I can perfectly understand them not staying, and we all don't want that ;-)

So maybe this could be considered somehow while redoing the starter deeds to not only make them look appealing but most of all low lag and usable.

Edited by Smilingcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Smilingcat said:

merchant in Glasshollow

That may be part of your problem.  There was a thread somewhere where quite a few people were in uproar about how bad the lag was at that particular settlement.  I may have the wrong name, but I believe@Silawas mayor or at least managing that market. 

Edited by Nomadikhan

It does seems specially bad in any large settlements with many actives players too

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smilingcat said:

and I am running minimum graphic and advanced graphic settings.

By this do you mean you are running two characters at the same time?  I ask because I've experienced this very same problem ever since the new stable client was added. 

It only happens when I try to run more than one character, whereas before the new client I was able to run 3 with no hitches at all.  Now, 2 characters and it gets wonky, and 3 is out of the question. With 3 my computer grinds to a complete halt and freezes, and I have to do a hard reboot.  I can, at times, still play 2 characters if they are both in areas with no people and not a lot of deeds in the area, so I've been able to live with it so far.

I've posted about it before but from the lack of any input from devs on the matter, I can only conclude that this is now something we have to learn to live with. Those who can still run multiple clients with no problems will see no change, obviously, and so I doubt we'll get much sympathy from that quarter. lol.  As far as I can see so far, those of us who do have a problem with it, due to our computers or whatever, will just have to suck it up and learn to play only 1 character at a time, or 2 when away from "civilization."  I just dropped prem on the 3rd character. Not much point in paying for 3 now.

Oh also, it helps when playing 2 characters, if one is in a cave or something. My priest now lives in a cave so she doesn't impact my main too much when they're both on at the same time and I want to take my main somewhere built up that causes a lot of lag.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

I run 1 character but with both graphic tabs in settings on minimum. In the settings window is a "graphics" and an "advanced graphics" tab, if you want to check it to see what I mean...

Back last year I could easily run 4 clients at once on this very same computer. Now just 1 and in large settings lagging like nuts.

Becomes unplayable at this rate very soon for me, so there must be a solution.

I can not buy a new computer every few months just to keep up with Wurm changes.

And I am not blaming the owners of popular market areas.

I hope there are some ways to look over recent additions to Wurm content and check if they can be made lighter on the graphics engine or at least give an option to minimize certain laggy items.

Minimum settings should be playable on a windows XP machine if you know what I mean...

Those who want fancy can use fancy settings on their high end gaming machine but please it should be possible to play it on a low spec machine as well with minimum settings.

My other idea would be to make it possible to set a limit how much RAM the program is allowed to grab.

Wurm grabs all of it on my computer all the time, and my poor machine is working like crazy to also fill the virtual memory to the brim.

In short: Could it be made possible to run 4 clients parallel on a 4 RAM machine like it was the case last year this time, please?

I'd bet more people would pay more premium characters again then because they can actually use them.

Edited by Smilingcat

Smiling, swing by Silent Hill at night.  Let me know if you have lag issues as you approach our token next to our Hota statue.  I've noticed when the lights are on no matter what my settings are, my FPS drops a lot.  I wonder if it is a similar issue as I have major lag issues at Glasshollow, especially at night.

i have no issues at all with my 1k e pc but i see fps drops only...   well 2 weeks ago we remove half of lamps and almost all decorations outside of houses only hota and few banners left... but with all that stalls and merchants cant do much more

10 hours ago, Dorian said:

I've noticed when the lights are on no matter what my settings are, my FPS drops a lot.  I wonder if it is a similar issue as I have major lag issues at Glasshollow, especially at night.

I seem to recall a suggestion to change the number of dynamic lights, see this thread but it is counter-intuitive because you want to RAISE the number of dynamic lights to improve performance and reduce lag ... don't look at me, that's what it says 

If you have LOWERED YOUR SETTINGS under Advanced Graphics by lowering the number of dynamic lights, you may have unintentionally made the lag worse ..? And the lower yuou make it, the worse it gets.  This would explained why supposedly  lowered settings at nighttime seems to have the worst results.

See below:

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

4 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I seem to recall a suggestion to change the number of dynamic lights, see this thread but it is counter-intuitive because you want to RAISE the number of dynamic lights to improve performance and reduce lag ... don't look at me, that's what it says 

If you have LOWERED YOUR SETTINGS under Advanced Graphics by lowering the number of dynamic lights, you may have unintentionally made the lag worse ..? And the lower yuou make it, the worse it gets.  This would explained why supposedly  lowered settings at nighttime seems to have the worst results.

There must be an error in that old post you linked to (or the info is outdated).

1 light = environmental light sources (sun, moon)

2 lights = the above + your lantern

3 and more lights = the above and lights from other sources (static lamps, candelabras, etc.)

Thus on low-end machines you want to set your number of light sources as low as possible, personally I have it set to 2.