Sign in to follow this  
Odynn

Rare chance of tome on Freedom valrei missions.

The rework of the mission is interesting so far: critters spawning on the land instead of being in hiding forever, trees marked for destruction and so on.

But one more thing can be done, the sorcery tomes are still an almost impossible goal on freedom (20 years through normal means), why not give whoever finish a mission a small chance (tied to the mission difficulty) to gain a fragment (reasonably large amount needed) of a tome.

This would boost the interest of the missions, boost the economy a bit (for whoever want to sell them instead of collecting them) and reduce a long wait on limited options to gain them.

• Like 8

while its tempting... that would mean only the elite would spam missions over and over for those :S

• Like 1

Uniques already give more than valrei does, when would the chance come every mission? the scenarios aren't tied to freedom so no for many reasons.

• Like 1

Or when two of the epic gods come tell freedom that 20 years is an easy goal after both freedom and now epic sorcery is harder to get (don't worry, i was already expecting to see you two here -1 it down).

It's wurm, everything can be RNG based and still be 'hard'... a 1 to 10% chance on missions to get a 1/20 to 1/100+ fragments for a tome is not easy.

I'm not asking for easy mode, i'm just saying we can have others options that doesn't only involve the 'elite' that already got access to the uniques. Missions difficulty, luck and map knowledge also make it harder for the so called elites to spam them away.

• Like 4

rumors about archaeology having tomes is enough I think 

and you can farm all the tomes you want with alts doing personal goals

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 2

+1. getting tomes from uniques is close to impossible for a regular player. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

rumors about archaeology having tomes is enough I think 

and you can farm all the tomes you want with alts doing personal goals

well that last sentence is a bit exagerated

• Like 3

and so far, no one ever found nor mentioned tomes being found through archaeology

• Like 2

-1 honestly epic has the risks (pvp and the spawns of valrei creatures, events) so epic should have the rewards, i find the fact you can get tomes on freedom ridiculous so no to making it easier. 

• Like 2

Epic is epic, freedom is freedom, you can't transfer your tomes, i don't see how it's bad to have different options to get things on any clusters.

Specially seeing that archaeology brought in the challenge rewards, that were impossible for the larger mass to access, it would be a nice thing to ease the access to a part of the game to the 90% of the players playing on freedom.

And it's kind of silly to point out metas like spamming alts to get the best achievements in your personal goals... or wait to farm tomes on epic when you are the only ones left on it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, faty said:

+1. getting tomes from uniques is close to impossible for a regular player. 

can confirm...

wasnt sure between +1 and -1(enough with elites grabbing all the fun!)... now i know: +2

3 hours ago, elroth said:

-1 honestly epic has the risks (pvp and the spawns of valrei creatures, events) so epic should have the rewards, i find the fact you can get tomes on freedom ridiculous so no to making it easier. 

Anybody else tired of seeing the three epic players left spamming "muh epic" everywhere?

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Delacroix said:

Anybody else tired of seeing the three epic players left spamming "muh epic" everywhere?

Epic cluster players 113/1600

:thinking:

there are people on epic that have done missions for years and not win a single tome and now it's even harder to get tomes on epic post 1.6

i'm even pretty much done with epic and plan to grind on freedom only once the skill merge comes in, but despite going to be a full time freedomer over part time, i still think it's too easy even though it would benefit me greatly

3 hours ago, Odynn said:

Specially seeing that archaeology brought in the challenge rewards

except these were on epic full time so it was just yet another feature about epic that isn't unique anymore

Edited by MrGARY
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MrGARY said:

except these were on epic full time so it was just yet another feature about epic that isn't unique anymore

the irony...

the challenge rewards were delivered through redeem codes on both freedom and epic cluster, 2 times. So sorry, but it NEVER was an epic feature at all.

Also, do I have to remind you that some of them were made available during the 10 year anniversary rewards and during freedom treasure hunts hosted by the staff?

2 hours ago, MrGARY said:

Epic cluster players 113/1600

Yes, that's the current amount with the freedom players now on Epic... Hellloooooooooo, you are not a special snowflake anymore, times are changing, more things are available for everyone, and should be available to everyone, including for Epic players migrating to freedom and joining a cluster where tomes are even harder to access to.

13 minutes ago, Odynn said:

the irony...

the challenge rewards were delivered through redeem codes on both freedom and epic cluster, 2 times. So sorry, but it NEVER was an epic feature at all.

Also, do I have to remind you that some of them were made available during the 10 year anniversary rewards and during freedom treasure hunts hosted by the staff?

I didn't say they were epic only...  I said they were available full time on epic which means people can get new masks, which was an epic feature.  We also get other rewards like the horned helms and the staff thing from uniques, I don't think freedom has this so correct me if I'm wrong, but another epic feature

15 minutes ago, Odynn said:

Yes, that's the current amount with the freedom players now on Epic... Hellloooooooooo, you are not a special snowflake anymore, times are changing, more things are available for everyone, and should be available to everyone, including for Epic players migrating to freedom and joining a cluster where tomes are even harder to access to.

Lets say you're right... and those numbers are boosted by freedom, which we know is true.  Once the tourism gets old and people get bored...  when they realize they waste time if they grind on epic since if they grinded at home on freedom they get the skill on freedom and epic both, and freedom has even easier ways to have fun getting tomes, safe ways to kill uniques, safe rifts, etc... why would said freedomers stay on epic?  They can have the fun on freedom and then use their freedom tomes on chaos

What does epic have that's unique anymore?  A skill curve?  A messed up skill system that almost no one likes?  A valrei that offers no benefit over doing safe freedom missions to get tomes without an inch of effort or sacrifice?  You can throw around the term special snowflake and hold a grudge against me over a bug fix all you want but all this does is further kill epic.  We all know the hype isn't going to last based on history

• Like 3

I've played Epic, since Epic began, I've done plenty of missions, Know how many tomes I have, how many I've ever had? Exactly none, no tomes, no keys, no cherries, and you knwo what, I couldn't care less about them.

However, after the rank panic that Epic players might have the remotest chance of bringing anything more than skills to Freedom, I read so much bile and hate because Freedom didn't want these things on Freedom cluster, it would unbalance the game, interfere in the markets and devalue all the things.

So Epic players don't get to transfer items to Freedom, we don't get to transfer skills except a one-time skill transfer with reduced skills based on a formula, no items, nothing else, you got your wish, be happy with it, and let Epic be Epic, let the benefits of playing on Epic stay on Epic, let the benefits of Freedom stay on Freedom.

Personally I'm happy enough that Epic skills transfer, an impossibility mere months ago, is soon to be a reality, For myself, and a number of Epic players, we've accepted the compromise deal, we've accepted that Epic will continue to be separate from Freedom in all ways possible other than players and skills, we've accepted that only Epic players who were playing before the update will be able to transfer skills to Freedom, we've accepted that it will be a one-time skills transfer, and that any skill we continue to gain will not transfer again, we've accepted that Freedom players skills will update every time they transfer to Epic, (other than sensible protections from exploiting the mechanism to avoid skill losses due to death on Epic), we've accepted we won't get to keep the skills we've spent our time gaining on Epic over the past years.

So no to tomes on Freedom, total -1 for this suggestion, it's not a good idea to allow tomes on a cluster where there's a direct connection to a PvP server so that tomes can, and likely will, be farmed by PvP players in safety on Freedom.

The reason for tomes and other Epic only content should be obvious enough that I shouldn't have to spell it out, as @MRGary already said, if you want to kill Epic, remove Epic only content from it and allow it on both clusters, then there's no more need for an Epic cluster at all.

Perhaps that's what some would like, but Epic is there, Epic is different, and that's the way it should stay.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zenity said:

we don't get to transfer skills except a one-time skill transfer with reduced skills based on a formula, no items, nothing else, you got your wish, be happy with it, and let Epic be Epic, let the benefits of playing on Epic stay on Epic, let the benefits of Freedom stay on Freedom.

Now, now. Let's not pretend the players transferring from Epic aren't getting a 3x skill gain boost that is wholly undeserved on top of the earned skill that carries over. The victim act that Epic players keep putting on is simply ludicrous.

Edited by Delacroix

33 minutes ago, Delacroix said:

Now, now. Let's not pretend the players transferring from Epic aren't getting a 3x skill gain boost that is wholly undeserved on top of the earned skill that carries over. The victim act that Epic players keep putting on is simply ludicrous.

It's a one-time skill transfer, where freedom players skill transfers every single time they cross from freedom to epic.

Epic players skills are reduced, and if you know anything about Wurm you'd know that any time any skill is reduced at all you get a 3X, there's very little that can be done about this other than process every single Epic account that crosses individually at the database level.

In my opinion every single Epic player deserved a 1:1 transfer of skills, but we accepted the compromise, something it seems other Freedom players are unable to do, an attitude that demotes Epic players to second class players, regardless of how long they have played, or how much they have invested in the game, (and I'm not talking about money here, but time and commitment).

We earned the skills we have on Epic, we're accepting a skills reductions well as loss of effective skill to play on Freedom, should we chose to do so, while Freedom players are free to skill in safety and simply port over and skill up their Epic characters, once Epic players choose to play on Freedom they will not be able to transfer their skills again.

Tell me again? Why should I transfer to Freedom if I'll be subject to prejudice and ill-feeling simply for being a Wurm player? Because right now you are representing all that is worst and toxic in your community, for no other reason than you think Epic players are somehow getting something that you are not?

Meanwhile, I'll continue to help and support the Freedom players who choose to come to Epic, to stay, or just play, because I believe that we're all equally Wurm players, and we all deserve to be treated as we would wish to be treated, they won't be subjected to scorn or accusations they might be gaining skills 'unfairly' because they chose to grind a skill on Freedom and simply ported to Epic with skill intact and unaltered.

• Like 5

I think this suggestion is moving away from the original topic and heading into complaining about each other. 

I don't see mission rewards including tomes becoming a thing, especially when epic has a much longer path to take to get them (you need to do lots of missions, have your god win, and then get lucky in the roll, only the tier 1 winner gets a tome, the rest get fragments) 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

I don't see mission rewards including tomes becoming a thing, especially when epic has a much longer path to take to get them (you need to do lots of missions, have your god win, and then get lucky in the roll, only the tier 1 winner gets a tome, the rest get fragments)

Something that can be perfectly balanced through chances per missions and amount of parts needed. It's just sad to see that anything that would even the odds are always discarded due to a fear or another (be it a merge, a decent skill transfer, equal opportunities and so on).

The same arguments are being said and the game is still continuing its course, with each previous limitations, incentive or unique features to a cluster or server being removed, the time for tomes to become at least accessible on freedom as not come ... yet.

13 hours ago, Zenity said:

I've played Epic, since Epic began, I've done plenty of missions, Know how many tomes I have, how many I've ever had? Exactly none, no tomes, no keys, no cherries, and you knwo what, I couldn't care less about them.

I'm not gonna weigh in on the whole thread here but this argument that its super hard on epic and too easy on freedom is one i see a lot and i wish everyone could just accept that it works both ways and if you play solely or mostly on one cluster you're unlikely to have a clear view of how it is on the other. Look:

I've played Freedom, since before tomes were added, I've done plenty of Unique slayings. Know how many tomes i have? How many i've ever had? Exactly none, no tomes, no nothing and you know what...i think the system is kinda lame and could do with rebalancing.

Maybe not how this thread suggests....but the whole "it should only exist on epic" thing is just weird and elitist and detrimental to everyone enjoying the game. 

Tbh just the fact that 10 of the 14 possible uniques are dragons with 1% tome drop rates should tell ya that they're not so easy to get on freedom. Then you get 50% chance on a humanoid IF you and your friends are the ones to find it and then IF it drops then you've got 20+ people all wanting 3 charges. It's a rare drop on both clusters.

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 3