Sign in to follow this  
Finndar

New LiF: MMO trailer looks like a complete ripoff of Wurm art

Saw a new trailer released 2 days ago for Life is Feudal: MMO, which has an open beta starting on the 17th.

https://www.dualshockers.com/life-is-feudal-mmo-autumn-trailer/

From the opening guard tower which is almost an exact copy of Freedom Isles guard towers, to the crates on the dock, to the small cart near the end.  Was pretty surprised at how blatant it appears they have copied Wurm's art.

I don't see anything the same as wurm, I mean things will be similar because how many different ways can you draw an apple for example but the things you point out look completely different

• Like 3

Well you have to admit the guard towers are kind of spot on really but like most things it will be a hit for a bit until the next new game comes out. 

Asset packs most likely. I saw all the wurm passive animals in a pack looking around a while back. Carts and crates its kimd of hard not to look like other games for those two.

Lif is a nice Game for Minecraft Kiddies but will never be able to beat wurm

I beg to differ.  The combat in LIF is way better than Wurm's.  You actually have to hit your enemy unlike Wurm dice-throw system.  They also have more Devs that provide improvements to the game often so they could make the game better than Wurm in time.  So far, I would try it later on when they have added more content since I already have YO and have seen all the aspects of the game as is.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:19 PM, Finndar said:

From the opening guard tower which is almost an exact copy of Freedom Isles guard towers, to the crates on the dock, to the small cart near the end.  Was pretty surprised at how blatant it appears they have copied Wurm's art.

Terrible website link with adds at top and bottom which block the views of the rest of the contents. Attempt to click one off by the tiny x, scroll down a bit to read and another pops up to take its place. Closed website as a worthless irritant.

That aside, back around 2010-11 I met a player on Independence that told me they were going to develop a game similar to Wurm Online (but better of course). They provided me a link to their concept which laid out their overall projected plans with the "opportunity" to contribute to its development. He said that soon they would disband their deed on the bay and he and friends would work full time (with their spare time) to develop their new medieval superior combat style game, most of which seemed naturally enough to be based upon their experiences within Wurm Online. At this time they had no specific name for this game they would develop, just the concept which they had envisioned to be an improvement over Wurm Online.

Having had this experience with its original developers it is no wonder that their artwork and concepts are very similar to Wurm Online. Perhaps some artwork are almost copies with minor changes to disguise the fact that they also seem to be continuing to come up with "new" development from keeping a close eye upon what Wurm Online comes up with before they do in these areas. One thing that does bother me a bit is that they never anywhere give Wurm Online credit as their major inspiration for their "new" game of Life is Feudal.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ayes said:

One thing that does bother me a bit is that they never anywhere give Wurm Online credit as their major inspiration for their "new" game of Life is Feudal.

=Ayes=

That probably came from Wurm too. Seldom are WU mod developers/programmers/designers credited for their work when it later comes to WO. 

I am pointing to the many mod writers in WU who wrote stuff for free and then it later turned up in WO. Possibly coded differently however creative rights still apply even if all they did was come up with a successful idea and then code it. Even if coded differently the original idea still has value and should be recognized. Would like bond the communities a bit better too.

• Like 3

Honestly nothing particularly struck me as being "Oh hey that's totally right out of Wurm" even knowing the long and sometimes drama-llama history LiF has had with WO. 

Also saying that the art style of Wurm has changed so much over the past 10years+ that I think it's kinda hard to claim almost anything as being iconically Wurm-esk without them being carbon copies. 

Well the devs there used to play Wurm you can even ask them on discord if they'll talk to you. So I do think Wurm is a huge inspiration here for sure.

I mean these towers have interiors. So you can actually go inside of them.

And climb the stairs. In a physical tower.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Niki said:

Well the devs there used to play Wurm you can even ask them on discord if they'll talk to you. So I do think Wurm is a huge inspiration here for sure.

I'm well aware of the connection between the two. There's a big difference between "complete ripoff" and "inspired by". 

On 11/10/2017 at 9:19 PM, Finndar said:

Saw a new trailer released 2 days ago for Life is Feudal: MMO, which has an open beta starting on the 17th.

https://www.dualshockers.com/life-is-feudal-mmo-autumn-trailer/

Also the wood dock on the water, and the bear animations, and and, to be honest graphically and animation wise it looks a lot better.

You might try keeping you Wurm ass kissing to the weekly thread 

• Like 1

Sorry but honesty it's a huge stretch to compare LIF and Wurm. While there are aspects similar, there's a discernible line between theft and a shared idea. A lot of work is just based of reality, I didn't look it up but I'd wager a guess towers like that did really exist. 

LIF just aesthetically though looks so much better and runs more smoothly.

• Like 1

I checked the LiF website and forums, with the following takeaways (which may or may not be accurate :P ):

- LiF is designed to force group interdependence; no one can really play solo; to get anywhere, you must join a guild (there is a 600 skill point cap, or something like that, very unlike Wurm, so there's a hard limit to how many skills you can level up, which means there's no way to do everything you need);

- The main PVP map is resource-limited, which I suspect is deliberate to force guild machinations and war over scarce resources (sounds interesting);

- No magic (I get it, but I likes magic :( );

- Reportedly, levelling to 90 takes only a few weeks of casual play, plus, there's a "boost" curve (like Epic), so it seems fundamentally designed to get newbies to close the gap quickly (the actual bottleneck for levelling in the future may be lack of resources to grind skills on);

- Skill are interdependent; in order to level skill A to X, you must first have level Y in skill B.

In short, it sounds a -lot- different in execution than Wurm.

It has better combat system and great graphics but couse of that:

- LiF is designed to force group interdependence; no one can really play solo; to get anywhere, you must join a guild (there is a 600 skill point cap, or something like that, very unlike Wurm, so there's a hard limit to how many skills you can level up, which means there's no way to do everything you need);

it is not game for me.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 6:01 PM, Niki said:

I think it's great that they've used Wurm as inspiration to create their own unique game instead of simply cloning it.

It's common for players of a good game to start seeing missing features or things they think the developers got wrong, then feel inspired to make their own spin of their favourite game. Most of course don't make it past the 'side-project' stage, but a few like LiF do.The fact the LiF devs have played Wurm means they'll have a better idea of what to do and what not to do with their own game. They obviously arn't out to simply clone Wurm. At least from what I've seen so far.

The entire games industry is built around taking an existing idea or concept and trying to approve upon it, or throwing something original into the mix. But, IMO the problem starts when developers instead decide "oh that game makes a lot of money, lets clone it" to get a piece of the pie, without even trying to make it different. Then we end up with a mess like on Android and Steam. LiF does not fit into that that mould (at least not yet!).

Edited by syncaidius

Is not imitation the best form of flattery- within reason of course?

Has potential. Unfortunately with how things are currently set up the larger clans that can play all day will end up dominating leaving the smaller groups of players at a large disadvantage, having their claims easily trashed and griefed. It's going to be much like Ark, where the alpha clans don't even leave the smaller guys a chance. Not to mention the "power hour" and p2w 2x experience microtransactions.

• Like 2