Sign in to follow this  
Plynic

Editing existing mapfiles

i've got a map that I loved the look of, and have been having fun with, but of late it's hit me just how big the area is, especially for a handful of players. We've put a load of work into the immediate area, and we'd like to keep that work, but with the addition of treasure map mods and the like, it's just uncomfortable having a full 4096x4096 map.

Is there any way for me to edit the map and, for lack of a better term, 'cut out' the section of the map we're actually using? If done to the map from the server, would it keep the changes we've made or would the buildings end up messed up due to coordinate changes?

This would be very hard to do. Chances that the map would get totally f****d up is high.

Better to start from scratch and build whatever you have build with a GM.

Yeah don't do that if you don't know the technical stuff behind.

It is possible with the right knowledge but not recommended

Just to give you an idea of why it's a bad idea...  The game is based on a coordinate system, everything has a location based on the map coordinates.  You could cut out your section and turn it into a 1024x1024 map, but that means all of your buildings, items, creatures, etc. now have the wrong coordinates stored in the database for them.  It could be possible to run scripts updating all of that stuff in the database, but the chances of messing up and getting it wrong are very high, especially if you're not familiar with database scripting.

My suggestion would be to start over, make the map size you like (maybe even import part of your current map, which would include existing terraforming/mining if you do it right).  Then use a GM account to rebuild everything to the point where you're at now.

Also, the treasure map mod can be configured to have a lower maximum distance, so that might help too.

Damn. Figures, oh well. Failing that, any good ways to copy characters over to a new map? I know there's a tool that can take a skill dump and translate it to a new server, but I'd kinda like to keep inventories and stuff too, so we can salvage what we can carry from the current map and migrate.

EDIT: Ricowan, we configured the treasure map mod to have a lower maximum distance, and it didn't actually work - my best guess is that the patch that fixed the 'can't dig up treasure' problem also removed the check for how far away it's spawning the map, so that setting doesn't seem to actually do anything anymore. If that could be corrected, then that would go a long way to fixing my issues with the map size.

Edited by Plynic