Sign in to follow this  
Ekib

[Fixed] Seals infestation in NewSpring, Xanadu

the coast of the island have been plagued with seals since the begining of the server. they take over all other animal spawns and barely anything else can show up. not to mention they even attack them when hungry (saw one kill a cow i was leading today)

i'm not kidding when i say the area is plagued... there's hundreds of them.. i stoped counting after 30 on a small rock of an island not 10x10 large....

the entire coastline is affected, and they hide in the double mountain range and the huge slopes, well out of reach, and there's just so many its even depressing to clear them up... you can kill 100+ in a day and they are all back the next morning( i know cause i used to do it).

please fix that impossible spawn (only seems to affect NS from what i heard from others)

they has been a mountain lion lair since the begining of the server...never seeing any lion...my guess is seals took all spawn spots and stop nearly anything else from coming thru... for 1 cow, horse of sheep that pops, there's several dozen seals... please fix this...

they wander into deed and make all my animals sick. i had to build a fence just to keep them out and worst of all if i wanted to expand the slope wouldnt let me place fences so they would be able to get into deed and still cause a mess.

i want to make my deed bigger but with seals as they are. i cant.

that infestation even caused many people to leave and not return, and i'm not talking moving house here, but the massive exode to the north from xanadu players some time back could be a good example.

• Like 2

I don't see many seals around here (Vrock Landing) but I do see domestic animals (hens, cows, bulls, sheep) spawning at a crazy rate. And rather few aggro critters spawning.

What once was 150-200 aggro critters in local (per get info) is now 20-30.

well at neasprings there's so many they are starving...in the wild... and its a mess... :(

surfacemining 10k+ rocks was ok(before the change last year). making 3-4k concrete was ok. playing with WS to hit 70 was ok. seals are not...this is how bad it is... i stoped playing the game at times cause no matter how hard i work, i know they will cause issue....wen more wild animals than your own swarm your deed there is a problem...lost a pregnant horse cause they made the ratio fall under 5 before i placed a fence all around...fence that stop my surfacemining on some parts so an area of my deed i pay for i cant use...but its that or seals... -.-

• Like 2

The seal population is a serious problem here our alliance killed over 300 in about 2 hours by the next morning could not tell we had killed a single one. would be nice to get even a few wolves and spiders but mostly we get ONLY seals surely something can be done about seal population because killing them by the hundreds has no effect.

• Like 3

It's so frustrating to try to hunt and almost always find only seals. Please fix the spawn rate!

• Like 2

The Seal infestation is terrible. Would like to see some crabs & goblins , which there are none.

• Like 1

I can confirm, killed a good 75 seals in one area, the next morning, no one could've been able to tell I killed a single one. We've got a serious Seal issue on Newspring..

• Like 1

Meanwhile, the southeast of the server is practically dead.

From what I've been told, it's because the server 'polls' (Checks where to spawn) from the top left and goes all the way across the map to the east in a line, then swaps down a line and polls that line, and so on and so forth...until it gets to the bottom, where it then goes back up to the top left and re-starts the process. Now, imagine you set a certain line/certain area to spawn more of something because you want a certain impression given...(An island...has seals, right?).

Since it checks that side of the server first and then polls to the east...it spawns crazy loads of animals over there, and by the time it gets to the far right of the server, it's already spawned most of what it can...so essentially barely anything/nothing even spawns down there. This is why the north of Xan was loaded down with mobs...because it spawns most of the amounts it can up on the top few lines...and then it spawns certain things in newspring (Probably some ratio they wanted kept) and putters out with the remainder on the south east corners.

It sounds mostly like they just need to develop a new spawning mechanic/server polling process for Xan...because I have a feeling a lot of the lag that's being caused is because of the bogging down of just too much in certain areas...the new mob movement should help (Assuming they are wandering away from where they were spawned like crazy...)...but something else should also be put in place. I'd say reverse the polling for a bit, but you'd eventually end up with the same problem in reverse, and then the south would become hordes of mobs and the north/northwest would be dead. So they need to do something to fix that polling mechanic and not have it just 'sploot' all the mobs in a couple places...

• Like 1

or keep the same spawn system but cut xanadu into sections like for missions? this way spawns in center wouldnt be linked to north east, and south center wouldnt be the same as south west...cut the large grid into 9 smaller ones...might do the trick and not require too much work since that 9 tiles grid exist already for the god's mission. :) and even if it doesnt work 100% it would give time to work out a better system while letting things get a little better

5 hours ago, Alectrys said:

I've brought this to the attention of the devs.

thank you. lets hope they can find a solution, or at least a quickfix, cause this is just unbearable.. just after logging in i already want to log out cause of those hellspawns

its getting worse...yesterday a seal spawned in my fenced up deed...today i had 3... now fences dont hold them back anymore :(

https://imgur.com/5kQZv3n https://imgur.com/7YIo0Qx

those 2 pictures where taken last week or so. the island i live on and someone else's plot who i beleived stoped playing. can you guess why?

i want to expand my deed. but i CANT. why? simple: the seals!

why pay for land that i cant use? why bother paying the bills for animal protection in deed so that seals can mess it up???

i cant build my deed cause it requires to have a platform at +60 slope, but if i do this then i cant make a fence to stop them entering deed tiles. so it would create for seals a highway to go into my deed and mess with ratio....

before i added a fence all over my deed. i had jumps from 15 to 5 and below every day, if not several times a day. i lost animals because of this. chickens and preg horse.

even after the fence they still get thru by spawning inside. yes they spawned inside: the only 2 'weak' spots in the fence. (cause cant place fence on 40 slope, so it circle around 1 peri tile) and cause of a bridge bug teleport thru) are oposite side of where i found the new spawned seals.

this has been going on for two long years !! i lost friends who stoped playing cause of that(and many more i never got the chance to meet judging from the number of ruins in the area), not to mention half the alliance running off to other servers where they could see something else than a seal.

i had to take breaks for months cause i didnt even WANT to play wurm cause of those seals. its seriously been enough.

i'm fed up with them. not only do i have to stop all idea of expanding my deed properly (docks cant be in deed for easy loading unloading, cant expand anywhere. cant even finnish parts of my own current deed cause if i drop the fence its like a flood) , they get me to feel physicaly sick IN REAL LIFE!!!!  i havent been able to build the house i wanted to for over a year cause if i expand my deed i basicly can sacrifice all my animals. and last i checked seals did not pull carts, lay eggs, or gave milk. which are now vital for most cooking. hell i cant even have all the animals i'd need now but i still cant expand.

sure wurm is harsh and about overcomming difficulties but this is an endless tide. it never stops. no matter what we try, there's more and more and more.  people joke with me saying "at least its not trolls" well i WISH they where trolls. at least trolls can have some use. 

stop them spawning so many at once. or find a way so they stop messing with the ratio like i suggested in an other post 

or just nuke them from orbit. or just allow us to build fences and walls over 39 slopes... honestly i dont care how its done. let us use a templar to kos non hostile animals and select seals as target... MANY options to fix this problem seems to exist, but i see none tried.

this is unbearable. and i'm getting tired of gently rattling that cage.... do i need to use a large maul now so see some changes? i dont want to but i am getting fed up...

for now the only way i can picture to get really rid of them for good is finding where the GMs live ingame, loading up the seals once animal crates come out. and delivering hundreds upon hundreds on their doorstep...

i dont want to do this because so far each i have been able to tell of this issue have been polite and nice but after the talk was over this was it... no change and just get told to wait for a change...

and i am getting tired of hearing "be patient" i have! for TWO years!

i just want to be able to build my home as i dreamt it those years ago and live in peace. is it too much to ask for? 

in the time it took me to write this message 2 more seals have spawned in my deed. yes spawned. cause one was in the middle of the fields i tended an hour ago. and i checked the entire deed after

If you don't have fences as you mentioned earlier then they probably just ran on deed they move a lot, you live right near ideal spawn conditions if you want less then cover the rock: rock+water=seal

thre's fences on tiles edge turning from deed to perim. only 1 edge cant be done (40 slope) so got it circling around the perim tile

On 2017. 11. 11. at 2:57 AM, Ekib said:

the coast of the island have been plagued with seals since the begining of the server. they take over all other animal spawns and barely anything else can show up. not to mention they even attack them when hungry (saw one kill a cow i was leading today)

i'm not kidding when i say the area is plagued... there's hundreds of them.. i stoped counting after 30 on a small rock of an island not 10x10 large....

the entire coastline is affected, and they hide in the double mountain range and the huge slopes, well out of reach, and there's just so many its even depressing to clear them up... you can kill 100+ in a day and they are all back the next morning( i know cause i used to do it).

please fix that impossible spawn (only seems to affect NS from what i heard from others)

they has been a mountain lion lair since the begining of the server...never seeing any lion...my guess is seals took all spawn spots and stop nearly anything else from coming thru... for 1 cow, horse of sheep that pops, there's several dozen seals... please fix this...

they wander into deed and make all my animals sick. i had to build a fence just to keep them out and worst of all if i wanted to expand the slope wouldnt let me place fences so they would be able to get into deed and still cause a mess.

i want to make my deed bigger but with seals as they are. i cant.

that infestation even caused many people to leave and not return, and i'm not talking moving house here, but the massive exode to the north from xanadu players some time back could be a good example.

I have the same problem! I managed to make a hedge on the mountain, mostly cowered my deed border, but the slopes were too high so some places not protected. There are tons of seals around my deed, and I'm realy annoyed to kill them all the time... :(

• Like 1

not to mention they seem to love the deeds border fences. i got a dozen minimum glued to it at all times. as if drawn by a magnet

https://imgur.com/a/YGBLX my docks just now. right next to the 1 tile that cant be fenced, but having fence going around the perim tile... as if they can sense there is a weak spot there...