Sign in to follow this  
Orsus

Ocean vs Water Tiles

Last night I had an odd idea and now I am trying to figure out if it is possible for me to do it.

I started dredging out the bay in front of my town, I wanted it deep enough that Ocean going vessels would be fine to sail through it.  Then I decided to see how deep I could dig with the dredge. 

After this I though of trying to see if I could make it an Ocean tile if I dug deep enough.

So my questions are:  How deep, in water, must I dredge for a water tile to become an ocean tile?   Is it possible for a player to create an Ocean tile by digging and area deep enough with a Dredge?

I guess this would apply to world building as well, At what depth does a tile has to be a certain depth in order for it to become an Ocean tile?

If I can do this, I will definitely win the next fishing tournament on my server if I drop some Ocean fish on the table and no one else can do it :)

You will hit rock soon and then you would need a sculpting wand to mine underwater. So no you can't really create a big ocean without GM powers.

Edited by Sklo:D

I think he is talking about, what makes the difference between an OCEAN fish and a SHORE fish, in the wiki, and whether players can artifically create the right environment for an OCEAN fish 

See the wiki here:

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Fishing#Ocean_Fish

"Some shore fish can also be caught out in ocean waters, usually at a higher quality than they would be found closer to shore"

It then lists which fish are classified as shore or ocean, but it never defines the terms shore or ocean. is it depth or is it distance from land?

Can players artificially make a tile go from one to the other by terraforming, like they can in creating islands?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Yes I am asking if it is possible for a player to artificially create an ocean tile by dreading deep enough.  

I understand I may hit rock before to long as well.

Is there a minimum depth before a water tile becomes an ocean tile in regards to the fish that are able to be caught on it?

• Like 1

The difference is a bit complicated you need a lot special factors. 

Since I can't read code, I am mildly curious what the special factors are :D 

(but don't waste your time digging through snarled spaghetti  code because most likely, I will be mildly curious in something else by then, I have a devastatingly short attention span ...)

In fact, I meant to refer the OP to this thread, "WU DataMining, where people who are mildly curious can hook up with smarter mildly curious people who enjoy looking up esoteric facts  in WU code. Post a question there, and eventually someone may (or may not) get curious and go look it up. 

if you are not yet familiar with how Wurm works, nothing is ever simple. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Since I can't read code, I am mildly curious what the special factors are :D 

(but don't waste your time digging through snarled spaghetti  code because most likely, I will be mildly curious in something else by then, I have a devastatingly short attention span ...)

In fact, I meant to refer the OP to this thread, "WU DataMining, where people who are mildly curious can hook up with smarter mildly curious people who enjoy looking up esoteric facts  in WU code. Post a question there, and eventually someone may (or may not) get curious and go look it up. 

if you are not yet familiar with how Wurm works, nothing is ever simple. 

It is a huge mess, but generation is similar to the genertation of meditation tiles, just with other factors so tiles only appear in deeper water.

Edited by Sklo:D

First of all there is no such thing as "ocean" tiles. All underwater tiles are normal tiles (like dirt, sand, etc.) they just are lower than sea level.

Regarding fish... the code is kinda hard to follow so take the following with a grain of salt.

It counts the number of tiles lower than 3 dirt under water within 10 tiles from you in all cardinal directions (not square!, it's like a + 21 tiles in in height, and 21 across), and it also checks the maximum depth within those tiles.

If you are fishing in a cave you always get group 1.

If there are less than 9 tiles underwater you get group 1, if there are 9 or more but less than 20, or if the maximum depth is above 250 you get group 2 else you get group 3.

So for best results have 10+ tiles of underwater in at least 2 directions from you and at least 250 dirt deep.

group 1 - roach and perch or chance of carp

group 2 - roach, perch, trout, pike, catfish or chance of carp

group 3 - roach, herring, trout, pike, catfish, carp, bass or chance of special fish

Special fish - octopus, marlin, shark (blue/white), sailfish, dorado, tuna

Your skill level and rod rarity affect the chance to get special fish (or carp for group 1/2)

Out of every 100x100 tiles there will be a 10x10 area for every special fish type (possibly overlapping) and those will change with season and server but should otherwise be static and repeating (so if you catch an octopus here, you should be able to go 100 tiles north and catch octopus again, assuming it's still in the middle of water).

Note that even if you are in a special fish spot you are still rolling against the other fish in group 3, so you won't ALWAYS get the special fish. Higher skill and rod rarity helps.

• Like 5

Thanks bdew, searched everywhere for anything that helps.  This is the only post to my knowledge where it defines anything.  You rock!