header.png

“I cannot change the laws of physics Captain, but give me a good hot forge and a strong hammer and I bet I can bend them.” - Sir Burton while bartering at a market

Hi Everyone! 

We're another week into our 1.6 update with further tweaks, adjustment, calibrations, and any other words you can think of for the ongoing updates aimed at smoothing out any bumps that popped up. We're also looking at more things such as addressing fragment decay rates and other issues raised from both Epic and Freedom players.

But First...

Patch Notes

Spoiler

General Changes:

• Added identify option to fragments when outside of inventory.
  • Removed player god favoured messages.
  • Tweaked max difficulty of archaeology actions to scale correctly at higher levels.
  • Changed the speed penalty of all plate helms to be the same.
  • Changed mask fragments to need 10 to combine them instead of 3.
  • Tweaked valrei fight movement code so deities don’t dance around in the same spot and waste their turn.

Mission Changes:

• Changed how mission rewards are displayed and work.
    • Missions that weren’t giving rewards properly previously should now give them properly again.
    • Rewards overall should be a bit higher now, and display correctly on the mission window for each type of mission.
    • We’ll be monitoring completion rates and feedback on these and tweaking as needed in the coming weeks.
  • Tweaked chances for certain types of missions to spawn, lowered the chance of build epic structure missions to spawn overall.
  • Changed sacrifice creature missions so that you do not need to be a follower of the god to sacrifice the creature.
    • As long as you are in that god’s domain you will be able to sacrifice the creature, you will just not get any favor for it if you are not a follower of that god.
  • Fixed build epic structure missions so they properly accept newly built structures that are in the correct location.
  • Fixed creature related missions so they cannot spawn with baby creatures (lambs, foals, etc)
  • Fixed enemy missions on home servers so they have a chance to spawn properly at lower difficulty.
  • Fixed player god missions on non-epic servers so they don’t respawn.
  • Fixed valrei fights so that player gods aren’t thrown into random fights.
  • Fixed avatars spawning as the wrong kingdom for missions.

General Fixes:

• Fixed rideable creatures with lingering traitor marks so they don’t resize to huge.
  • Fixed identifying fragments so it is possible while embarked.
  • Fixed destroying pavement while inside caves.
  • Fixed dragon armour so a metal brush cannot remove the colour from them.
  • Fixed fragments to not be smeltable.
  • Fixed combined fragments appearing with negative enchantments.
  • Fixed items in FSBs transferring to other bulk bins with their data intact.
  • Fixed tamed creatures having a mind of their own and wandering off sometimes.
  • Fixed traders so they will properly stock wagoner contracts.
  • Fixed kingdom influence messages reporting the wrong percentages.
  • Fixed creatures attacking through walls and from a long distance.
  • Fixed fragments to correctly send the imp icon all the time.
  • Fixed an issue with fragment materials.
  • Fixed an issue with using a portal from GV to Xanadu not keeping the starter deed information.
  • Fixed an issue with first time premium payments not syncing correctly with the login server.

Client Changes:

• Added rain occlusion – rain and snow will no longer appear under roofs. (GLSL and FBO must be enabled in your client for this to properly work)
    • NOTE: This does not mean that paved tiles inside buildings will no longer have the snow texture.
  • New mine doors should only appear where they are placed.

Transfers

Unfortunately with the update last week we had to delay the transfers from epic to freedom. While our initial estimates were some time early this week, with the major hotfixes and issues from the 1.6 patch that was unfortunately delayed. This is our focus at this point and we will have it out as soon as possible. 

The good news is that it shouldn't require anything more than a restart to update databases, but there's an awful lot of comparisons to do, as this affects every single account that's ever been on epic. 

We do understand it is frustrating to wait for this, and we want this out asap, just like you, and appreciate your patience.

Archaeology Adjustments

This update we also made a few adjustments to some Archaeology things, including making actions slightly easier to succeed at high skills by lowering the difficulty. We also adjusted the amount of fragments needed for masks, and feel that 10 is an achievable number either solo or by purchasing pieces, we'll also be looking at other rare item fragment requirements over the next few weeks.

Skill feedback

With one update to stat gain on epic this week, we launched a feedback thread on the skill system and skillgain/statgain rates. there's a few key things to understand with the new system, but the thread is there for people to share their logs and experiences, ask questions, and allow us to fine tune the system as time goes on. 

Check out the thread here

Mission tweaks and fixes

We've also been making tweaks and adjustments to the mission system, addressing bugs as they're raised, and boosting sleep bonus per participant, and ensuring that they scale/balance correctly.

If you encounter any issues or bugs with the valrei mission system please report it, so it can be addressed in a subequent update!

Leaky roofing begone!

This last update introduced a long desired feature, and one of the benefits of the new client, rain occlusion! This means that rain will no longer show indoors! This has been a long frustration for many a wurmian, with leaky roofing leading to poor sleep and all sorts of maladies, but no more. 

If you are experiencing performance drops or stutters since the last update, disabling GLSL shaders should fix the issue for the short time, with a client update to address the issues, so make sure to turn GLSL shaders back on after that! 

Community Content

Step right up! the Summerholt Fall Festival, hosted by NEXA is on! Show up, take part in the horse races, imping, games, and sermons, and get to know the  people who live in north eastern Xanadu as well as travellers from afar! 

That's it for this week, we'll be working hard on the issues raised and the transfer over the weekend and early into next week, so report any bugs you find, and take part in the feedback threads to let us know what you think!

Until next time, keep on Wurming!

Retrograde & the Wurm team

• Like 10

Doesn't matter what side you choose, just come play, EPIC PVP!

• Like 7

Aye, Summerholt Fall Festival is starting today, be sure to be in the festival area today because we are starting within few hours. :) Lots of fun happening during this weekend, sermons have already started at Amish Sanctuary and Market area. 

And by the way, thanks for popping our festival up in the weekly news Retro! :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Mission tweaks and fixes

We've also been making tweaks and adjustments to the mission system, addressing bugs as they're raised, and boosting sleep bonus per participant, and ensuring that they scale/balance correctly.

I am however still missing (mainly) the Player god names from the progress bar. Is this a bug, a new feature or something that just slipped past the attention. As the names do show up in the mission overview screen.

And out of curiousity: what's the status of the animal crates? It's been very quiet about those for the past 4-5, if not more, weeks now. I'm pretty sure most players would like to have them implemented, even without the cross-server animal transport ability. At least having animal crates would make transport of certain domisticated animals across water a lot easier.

Thorin :)

• Like 1

Any ETA on making chickens less traumatised? Mine still run around manically whenever I come near, and I swear I showered this month.

• Like 3

rain occlusion, now that's what i'm talking about, how long before this arrives in WU?

• Like 1

@RetrogradeWhen are the animal crates coming in? I've got a bunch of lonely animals on other servers waiting to come home with me...

• Like 1

All this news and nothing about the fix for the personal goal of wine making, the code to fix it has even been posted.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Retrograde said:

We also adjusted the amount of fragments needed for masks, and feel that 10 is an achievable number...........................

Considering that I've got 56 archaeology, have spent countless hours searching, and still have yet to get a single mask fragment of any kind, I have to question this. 

I've found 3 of the eagle statue, and 1 of the hell horse. I'm also getting lots of info on previous multiple deeds so I don't think it's because I'm just in empty areas. 

I'm curious to know what criteria you used to arrive at this number.  If it's from the people who have posted all the mask fragments they've gotten, I'd hazard a guess that they were extremely lucky, in addition to grinding, and that they don't represent the average player.  My own experience, and I suspect most people's, is very different. 

• Like 1

From my experience you start seeing mask fragments around 70 arch.

@Pride  Just goes to prove my point since Warlander said, in this thread (2nd page) that we should start seeing the masks at 51 skill.  Since he's a developer, I would like to think he's giving us factual info and not just bragging about his own finds.  Looks to me like you're even more unlucky than most if you didn't see one til you hit 70.

Edited by Amadee

4 hours ago, Amadee said:

@Pride  Just goes to prove my point since Warlander said, in this thread (2nd page) that we should start seeing the masks at 51 skill.  Since he's a developer, I would like to think he's giving us factual info and not just bragging about his own finds.  Looks to me like you're even more unlucky than most if you didn't see one til you hit 70.

He is recounting his own experience, and talking about his own finds

animal crates.. hmm... that would mean leaving Xanadu and the lag behind.. hmm.. who cares.. I only go to the smaller servers when I am doing a multiple server hop/// to the other side of Xanadu map

well other stuff... hmm.. what pother stuff is there.. looks like we;'ll ha ve to wait for the new news to come out..

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

He is recounting his own experience, and talking about his own finds

Yes, but being a dev I would assume the info is factual and not just an exaggeration or misrepresentation. And if he started finding them at 51, that means it should be possible for us all to start finding them at 51.  The person who didn't start finding them until 70 would therefore not be typical.  Yes?  And I'm at 56 now and still not one single mask frag.  So how is needing 10 of them a good number?

The rng has not been kind to me, and downright brutal to the guy who never saw one til 70 skill. 

3 was just fine, imo, considering there are more than one kind and so still probably have to find a huge number to make 3 of one kind.  10 is just discouraging (as are the statues), and I doubt I'm going to continue bothering with it at all.  I feel like I've been wasting my time.   I did it as much as I did, precisely because I thought I at least had a chance at a mask over time with only needing 3.

So, to my original post, I have to question your statement that 10 is an achievable number.  Winning the lottery in rl is "achievable" as well, but not very likely.

Edited by Amadee

scratch that dirt for all the worthless items awaiting to be found, lol

There are no skill thresholds for finding items unique to archaeology.

What is needed is there to have been a deed on the tile, and for it to have been around a certain length of time, as well as a certain length of time since it has disbanded. 

After that, it's a matter of getting lucky. 

Best advice would be to use high ql tools while specifically hunting unique items as they will increase your chances greatly.

Oh, and since there are many different types of mask fragments,  don't forget you can sell/trade the ones you dont need for the ones you do

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

What is needed is there to have been a deed on the tile, and for it to have been around a certain length of time, as well as a certain length of time since it has disbanded.

Considering epic has had a couple of server resets... Whats the highest time since disband to unlock an item? Any timer thats over a year?

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Best advice would be to use high ql tools while specifically hunting unique items as they will increase your chances greatly.

/me imps tools

On 11/11/2017 at 0:33 AM, Amadee said:

I'm curious to know what criteria you used to arrive at this number. 

businessman-on-white-throwing-dart-with-:P

@RetrogradeThe issue wasn't that anyone doesn't understand how the system works:

On 11/11/2017 at 0:33 AM, Amadee said:

I'm also getting lots of info on previous multiple deeds so I don't think it's because I'm just in empty areas.

I think the issue is the arbitrary nature of the number 10, which without some comprehensible method by which you may have arrived at that number, would indeed appear to be arbitrary.

This kind of thing isn't so much an art as it is a science.  There's lots of research out there regarding how many times people will click something before giving up, and how often a reward needs to occur for them to keep clicking.  You must also have metrics on how many items are found, how often, locations, which people, etc.

"Meh, 10 sounds good."  doesn't really inspire confidence in the methodology is all.  Hope that explains the question a bit, as an explanation of how the system works as a response would suggest miscommunication.

That said, Hooray for rain occlusion!! \o/

• Like 1