Sign in to follow this  
Iberis

Nine things that blew my mind

Answering questions in the CA Help often brings back memories of when I was learning to play the game back on Wurm Unlimited. Even when I first started playing Wurm Online I was still learning new things that blew my mind. So I made a little list of things that had me speechless and amazed.

9: Fire pillar.

On my first day on Wurm Online i learnt this neat little trick. Lets say you are in a cave underground but you want to know where that is in reaction to above ground? Normally you would have to count tiles. Instead you can press F1 and go into your console. Once there type firepillar - all one word and nothing else. It will create a lava tile on the surface that only you can see and logging out will make it vanish again. It is not real lava either - it's just a visual effect. A marker to help.

8: Server hopping.

Wurm Online was my first experience of travelling between servers. So getting in a boat and going from one server to another sounds simple but getting to the right side of the server can be a bit daunting and confusing for a brand new player. If I'm leaving the south coast of Deliverance how do I end up on the South coast of Exodus? When you cross a server border it throws you onto the opposite of what you just left. So if you leave a North border you arrive on a South. This is where "Server Hopping" is used. In the example I used I would travel to another server first before going to Exodus, turn my boat straight around and sail straight off again. This practice was first explained to me not long after I first started Wurm Online by Propheteer who even drew me a little drawing in MS Paint to help me out! :wub:

7: Demolishing a house.

I would sit there all day bashing down a house one wall at a time if nobody had even shown or told me about this one. When you go into your manage buildings menu at the far right the demolish building option is cut off and hidden most of the time. You have to drag the window open a little wider just to see it - otherwise you wouldn't even know it is there.

a57f5d49cd.png

6: Combining items.

When I first started playing wurm I realised I needed to combine material to make items. What i failed to realise was that I could use shift to select more then one in my inventory to combine more then one at a time. Or even quicker way to combine items is to open your crafting menu and drop the stack in a box and hit the little combine button underneath!

5: Keybinds.

There is nothing worse then what happened to me when I discovered keybinds. I attended my very first impalong and the leatherworker did not show up. During the event I decided to grind my leatherworking so that I could try to improve all the leatherworking items people had brought along with them. After a long weekend of nothing but improving leather I made a comment about how badly my wrists were hurting. A friend then made a comment about keybinds to which I replied "Key what?" All this time I had been selecting a tool then right clicking on the item to improve and then repair. You cannot play this game properly without keybinds so if you do not yet know about them please please look them up. At the very least have keybinds for digging, mining, improve and repair.

4: Lava kills veins?

This one I only found out vry recently. I mean like within the past couple of weeks. Perhaps it is simply because I've never had a path of power character before and none of my friends have ever had one either. So we had a white dragon trapped in a cave but it had mined the tile we wanted to make an entrance. We moved back a tile only to find an iron vein was now between us and the dragon. Noizhead and his friends blew my mind when they erupted the tile above the iron vein into lava. Then cooled it down turning it back into rock. As simple as that the iron vein was gone without having to spend countless hours mining it out or countless more trying to cast distingrate.

3: Inventory groups.

I love to have a nice tody and organised inventory. So the day someone told me you could make inventory groups was a blessing! Now I have a group for my tools, another for misc stuff and another for pvp stuff. Helps prevent your inventory getting cluttered up and means you can find things alot quicker.

68f92b789e.png

2: Arrows in crafting menu.

Just before starting to play wurm online I remember spamming out spindles for a friends so that he could sac them for favour with his Vyn priest. This was on Wurm Unlimited and before the cooking update where spindles were pretty much the meta for Vyn priests. Each time I went to press my push to talk in the comms to say something to my friends all they could hear was rampant clicking of my mouse. Upon asking I kept saying - I have to keep queing up the spindle creation. The guys in the comms were confused. This went on for days and finally I misclicked and hit the arrows on the crafting window which allowed me to queue more then one a action. in fact with my character I could queue eight spindles with one click. I was so happy with this discovery I asked the lads to see if they knew about this..... of course they did ._.

7d702e78cc.png

1: Decorative toolbelts.

Perhaps one of my fondest memories of learning about wurm. As a leatherworker on Wurm Unlimited I remember being the first to create a 90ql toolbelt on a server. I sold it for 5s and then was so excited by this sale I dived into my alliance teamspeak telling them all I had just managed to sell a "decorative toolbelt" to this sucker for 5s. The channel fell silent and someone replied slowly...."Decorative toolbelt Miz...?" It took them a few moments to realise I was making toolbelts for people on wurm without even realising they did anything. Another thing I did not know until much later on either was that you can use the number keys to select the tools in your toolbelt as well! Mindblowing stuff eh? :D

Anyway would love to hear from other people what things blew their mind when learning to play wurm :)

Edited by Iberis
Moderation edit
  • Like 14

Learning I could fuel a furnace, I didn't have to keep relighting it with kindling.

• Like 6

ok im going to share my biggest survival tips, it will be mind blowing for new players and perhaps some current ones.

Compass: Yo, you don't need this, 15 second timer? Throw that away.

If the cloud cover is good type /weather and you will see the clouds move in relation to the way the wind blows, you can use the clouds and /weather to determine what way you're heading.
If there are no clouds, make a camp fire, the smoke will blow in the direction of the wind.
If you play on high settings, the grass will also blow in direction to the wind.

If it's night time and it's dark, watch the stars, they move from north to south, so you can find your direction this way too.

On a boat? no clouds? no stars? Watch the water, it floats the direction of the wind.

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 2

For me, what comes to mind is learning I could drag wood scraps into a forge to keep it burning, instead of clicking each scrap individually, clicking the furnace, and selecting "Burn".

SELECT_BUTTON_1 up to SELECT_BUTTON_8 binds your select bar buttons

0358c6baec.png

In this case, I had SELECT_BUTTON_1 bound to 'E' and SELECT_BUTTON_2 bound to 'R'. Now E and R always run the first and second actions on that select bar. In some cases, this effectively lets you use one bind for multiple useful actions.

It's not exactly a hidden feature but it blew my mind when I found out about it. I only found out when I was trying to fix some minor bugs in the client and somebody had noted that the 'toggle button hotkey text' doesn't seem to do anything. It's that little "key" icon in that screenshot. I decided to investigate it and realized it's an option to show those binding letters ("E" and "R" in that screenshot). If you don't have any keys bound to the select bar keys, toggling that option on or off will obviously do nothing. I had never realized those options could be bound...

An interesting console command is "exec <file>" to run a text file that contains more console commands, for example to quickly load your "pvp binds" or "skilling binds" or "toggle all pvp windows" etc. I heard about this back when there was no option to have multiple toolbelt loadouts. There was a console command to set a sinlge toolbelt slot with an item only. You would have to make text files like "pvp.txt" that contained lots of lines like:

settoolbelt 1 1279339056335874

settoolbelt 2 1366924478909442

etc. Then you bound it to a key like: bind e "exec pvp.txt"

Less mindblowing (because I added it) but occasionally useful is the "findbind <action" (eg. "findbind dig") console command telling you if you have any keys bound to a certain action. The reverse was possible already: finding out what action is bound to a specific key, "bind <key>" (eg. "bind e").

One that should really not have been surprising but still was, is the little bar with the commands on the top middle:

47c603b5f0.png

I learned way too late that these are not just some random helpful options. They are the things you have bound to your F keys (like F1, F2 etc). The interesting thing about it is that if you hold your CTRL/ALT/Shift keys, you'll (probably) see it all become "---". That's because you probably have nothing bound to the combination of your ALT/CTRL/Shift and your F key. If you do: bind ctrl+f2 "say /weather", you'd get this when holding CTRL:

d20b14d468.png

I only realized this ages ago when there was a bug where your alt key would remain "pressed" when alt-tabbing out of wurm, which would show all those "---". Eventually I realized why it would change to "---"....

Edited by BrQQQ
  • Like 4

Please do not post exploits.  Exploits can be reported directly to the GM team at gamemods@wurmonline.com .

Thank you.

Pandalet (Assistant Lead Forum Moderator)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Iberis said:

8: Combining items.

When I first started playing wurm I realised I needed to combine material to make items. What i failed to realise was that I could use shift to select more then one in my inventory to combine more then one at a time. Or even quicker way to combine items is to open your crafting menu and drop the stack in a box and hit the little combine button underneath!

Don't forget the ctrl feature too. It allows you to select specific items, including items of a different type.

Say you have a stack of 10 rock shards in your inventory, but you only want to move specific qualities to another container. You don't have to screw your inventory up by sorting by ql so that you can use the shift feature, just use ctrl instead. 

4 hours ago, Iberis said:

You cannot play this game properly without keybinds so if you do not yet know about them please please look them up.

You most certainly can play the game "properly" without keybinds, but they will make your gameplay a billion times easier.

As for my own Wurm revelations, there haven't been that many. I've been playing too long and have seen about 80% of the mechanics implemented. I guess the most recent revelation I had was that I took a break from Wurm for a bit and came back. Alyeska found me deforesting and getting rid of the felled trees the oldschool way (by campfire) and mentioned that we now had the ability to discard felled trees. It was great news. but I felt pretty dumb for not noticing.

Placing satchels on your tool belt, keybinding 'sow' to T key, putting seeds into the satchels, placing mouse around center of the screen, rotating screen so mouse would hover over tiles, hitting 1,T, 2, T, 3, T planting 1100 tiles for my first time.

When Hvergi explained to me I could just activate the seeds inside the satchels on the toolbelt by hitting 1,2,3 i said 'OMFG this is So much quicker and easier than activating each seed, right click planting'

To me the single most mindblowing aspect i realised in Wurm is that each tree or bush is alive, and trying to multiply and win the evolutionary race. It is the one fundamental thing that Wurm has that no other game world has ever attempted.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stormblade said:

When Hvergi explained to me I could just activate the seeds inside the satchels on the toolbelt by hitting 1,2,3 i said 'OMFG this is So much quicker and easier than activating each seed, right click planting'

Wait what? How does this work? (Grinding farming and very interested)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfgarr said:

Wait what? How does this work? (Grinding farming and very interested)

Place the container itself (works with an inventory group too) on your toolbelt. When you select it, it picks the first item in the pile thats inside it. Pretty sure it only works if you've only got the one type of item in that container but thats simple enough. 

34 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Place the container itself (works with an inventory group too) on your toolbelt. When you select it, it picks the first item in the pile thats inside it. Pretty sure it only works if you've only got the one type of item in that container but thats simple enough. 

So that means i cannot que sows with 1 satchel and need to do it the way i am doing now, queing from 4-5 different satchels?

1 minute ago, Wulfgarr said:

So that means i cannot que sows with 1 satchel and need to do it the way i am doing now, queing from 4-5 different satchels?

Yeah i don't particularly like that method because i prefer to que up actions on all the tiles around me. Doing it that way means hitting your toolbelt keybind each time, you can't que. I've found it handy for taming though.

Edited by Nadroj

4 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Yeah i don't particularly like that method because i prefer to que up actions on all the tiles around me. Doing it that way means hitting your toolbelt keybind each time, you can't que. I've found it handy for taming though.

so there is no way to que up sowing exept using 1 sow, 2 sow 3 sow and so on?

3 minutes ago, Wulfgarr said:

so there is no way to que up sowing exept using 1 sow, 2 sow 3 sow and so on?

Could split your seeds into seperate containers and fill the toolbelt with them.

48 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

Could split your seeds into seperate containers and fill the toolbelt with them.

thats what i am doing, same with taming.

2 hours ago, Nadroj said:

(works with an inventory group too) 

Now there is my blown mind :) Good tip for items which don't fit to containers in inventory

First, seeing the actual DemiGod Avatars for the first time up close, then attacking them.

Second, being able to right-click on them and "care" for them before that option was removed.

While on a boat, you can right click a (decently) far tile and select "disembark" and you get teleported to that tile.

Prior to knowing this I would always click the boat to disembark which would drop you in the water below the boat and I would have to swim and often climb out of the water. This was particularily frustrating if I forgot to let my stamina bar refill before disembarking.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, McGarnicle said:

While on a boat, you can right click a (decently) far tile and select "disembark" and you get teleported to that tile.

Prior to knowing this I would always click the boat to disembark which would drop you in the water below the boat and I would have to swim and often climb out of the water. This was particularily frustrating if I forgot to let my stamina bar refill before disembarking.

So how are we to tell the "features" from the "exploits"??????

Fairly obvious one would think;

Teleporting from a boat or wagon a few tiles away in the open, not an exploit.

Teleporting from a boat somewhere that should not be possible, exploit.

Edited by JakeRivers

2 hours ago, Eyesgood said:

So how are we to tell the "features" from the "exploits"??????

Most of the time you wont know its an exploit until you post about it and get banned for a few days for it sadly. I wouldnt be surprised if they issue a  temp ban to at least one person so far in this thread.

There are bugs still on the backburner that need to be fixed but are not game breaking so many are left alone. So by bringing them to light you force the hand to make it an issue where as they could have waited for a better time to address it.

I don't condone exploits so be sure before you post in here that you do some research.  if there is no info that you can find chances are its not intended. so ask around in personal messages before releasing to the population.

A good example was locksmithing. After an update it was found out you could grind the skill at a very fast level and many people did it to abuse the skill gain. Once this was eventually realised the fix was to roll back the servers to before the update. This hurt every player in the game.

So does using the exploits mentioned before get you banned? I didnt know about them previously, but I can see how someone can find them and inconspicuously use them without thinking they are exploits. I mean, op is a CA and it didnt occur to her it would be an exploit. Anyone could fall for these unintentionally. How do GMs handle that?