Sign in to follow this  
Hailene

Replace iron plate with "thick chain armor"

2 hours ago, As_I_Decay said:

I remember when you popped up in Wurm. You joined after crafting was made MUCH easier.

Now the tables have turned and you're the one that's miffed.

How did they make it easier? Not having mats be wasted on failure? That adds like...what...30 minutes (being extremely generous here) to a 200 hour grind? Totally game breaking.

That totally compares to grinding multiple other skills. 

Holy cow, iron plate is here to stay we don't need a heavy chain option, get over it already.

Going to grind more of my PAS on my Scale set, talk to yas later.

Edited by JakeRivers

7 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Holy cow, iron plate is here to stay we don't need a heavy chain option, get over it already.

I know I shouldn't expect you to actually read anything, but someoone necored thus thread after a month.

But, again, that's probably expecting too much from you.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:35 AM, Retrograde said:

And while market impact can always happen, it's generally not a good idea to not introduce something because it may affect peoples pockets

So very true. Glad you noticed that this was one of those market (money making) protection "suggestions". There have been many veiled ones in the past attempted to be justified as something else. No doubt there will be more in the future. As for iron plate, looks very cool, affords nice protection at less expense if purchased and even opens the opportunity for more players to create it with an easier skill set; thus, it may become more popular than plate for those reasons. A great addition to the game!

=Ayes=

5 hours ago, Ayes said:

Glad you noticed that this was one of those market (money making) protection "suggestions". There have been many veiled ones in the past attempted to be justified as something else.

I barely sell anything anymore. What business comes my way is from old customers or word of mouth from said old customers or alliancemates.

This isn't impacting my bottom line since I don't even sell plate armor anymore. I'm looking at this from a larger perspective. So you can brush this suggestion (which I had already made peace with, anyway, just that someone bumped it up a month later) aside and say, "Well, Hailene is wants to profit off the newbies! Shame on him!" if you'd like. But know that I am not and that is not where the suggestion is coming from.

Edited by Hailene

1 minute ago, Hailene said:

barely sell anything anymore. What business comes my way is from old customers or word of mouth from said old customers or alliancemates.

This isn't impacting my bottom line since I don't even sell plate armor anymore. I'm looking at this from a larger perspective. So you can brush this suggestion (which I had already made peace with, anyway, just that someone bumped it up a month later) aside and say, "Well, Hailene is wants to profit off the newbies! Shame on him!" if you'd like. But know that I am not and that is not where the suggestion is coming from.

The only thing that will improve players marketing is more players in the game. The market is soft as the numbers are down, you need a steady supply of new players for a viable market. Old players don't need to buy anything as they have the skills or items already.

Wurm missed a great chance to market Wurm Online when they gave away a few hundred thousand copies of WU, we need some better promotions for the WO game itself.

On 12/13/2017 at 0:47 PM, Hailene said:

How did they make it easier? Not having mats be wasted on failure? That adds like...what...30 minutes (being extremely generous here) to a 200 hour grind? Totally game breaking.

That totally compares to grinding multiple other skills. 

Aside from timers and action difficulties being decreased sometime around 2010 to "make the game more accommodating for new players", there were tons of other variables that came into play over the years. And while those variables made the game far more enjoyable for everyone, they also had the side effect of "devaluing" the work or time that some players had put in prior.

Some examples of things that I didn't have accessible for quite a few years of my gameplay, which you started off with access to:
*Large carts
*Mounts
*A PVE server that you can acquire 50+ql iron on
*Purchasable sleep powder
*Affinities
Etc. (this could be a really big list if thought was put into it)

My original quote of your comment wasn't intended so that we'd have this little debate about how my initial Wurm gameplay experiences differed from yours, and what wasn't available to me that was to you, though. My original post's intention was to point out that while you feel like you're a "victim" of an unfair situation, there was a point in time where others felt "victim" to you. No one's really a victim, It's just the cycle/circle of gaming. Get over it.

At the end of the day, making the game more enjoyable for all is far more important than bruising a few people's egos.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, As_I_Decay said:

At the end of the day, making the game more enjoyable for all is far more important than bruising a few people's egos.

You're putting up a false equivalence here. Just because we have had some good changes that make certain aspects of the game easier and more accessible doesn't mean that every change to make the game easier and more accessible is inherently good.

As a hyperbole, if we implemented a system that supported full automated macros, would that make the game easier? Oh sure. Would it be good for the game? Probably not as it's not consistent with the rest of the mechanics and culture of the game.

Each quality of life change should be able to stand up on its own. Iron plate has some benefits but also its share of drawbacks. I don't see any real arguments against a new type of chain armor besides:

1. They want platesmithing easier to level

2. Personal attacks against me (thinking I'm part of some secret plate and/or chain smithing cabal)

From what people are saying in this thread, iron plate is basically crap. PvP and PvE wise. It's basically just a workaround to level PAS without steel or access to scale pieces. Which sounds pretty crappy to me.

8 minutes ago, Hailene said:

without steel or access to scale pieces

That is a misconception, scale is easy to get and steel a bit more work but doable stop moaning about iron plate already.

Anyone who wanted to grind pas before could of done so.

+1

This new armour has destroyed CAS and PAS.

At 100ql Steel Plate gives 75% DR

at 100ql Iron plate gives 72% DR.

So basically all PAS are destroyed by game. Also who will wear chainset if people can just easy grind PAS instead and have better armour.

Wurm is cheating with old players as the years spend on grinding skills can now be achieved faster.

• Like 1

+1 to the purpose but -1 to the idea to fix it in the OP. Imo, Iron plate should simply get damaged a lot faster and have MUCH lower glance rates in everything but piercing. I always believed that chain armor smithing should be a skill to make yourself and pets chain armor. If chain is never supposed to match up to plate (I know its better in slashes but not that much better) on people, then chain should just branch off to put more armor on pets. I mean... who doesnt want a bear wearing 90ql chain armor.

• Like 1