Sign in to follow this  
Arka

Maple Syrup

Hi,

I would like to suggest a change of the maple syrup harvest.  It would be nice to have it change to a more realistic time in the calendar.  Right now maple syrup harvesting is  almost in the middle of summer time but  in reality it should be in springtime, when the nights are still cold, water from the soil is absorbed into the maple tree. During the day, the warmer temperature creates pressure that pushes the water back down to the bottom of the tree, making it easy to collect. And when syrup here is harvested, it's spring but there is still snow out.  It's the first days of spring that in day time, its warm but at night it's still very cold so the snow melts but slowly still.  And right now on the wurm calendar the only thing we can harvest are pine nuts in wintertime and then it's almost 10 days before the next harvest.   Having the maple moved to the springtime would make those months a little less boring for foresters and a little more realistic.  :)

• Like 8

Realistically you would not be using maple syrup to make wine, so what does it matter when the stuff is ready?

Just so we have something to harvest in those dull months. And it makes it a little more realistic on the harvest side so why not ? 

Edit:you can make wine with maple syrup.  It is realistic.  I know Ontario Maple wine or something they do make that.Totally doable  but that was not my point to have a more realistic wine making.  It's just to have something else to harvest in those months where there is nothing at all and on top of that it would make the harvesting of maple syrup a little more realistic with how it really work. 

Edited by Arka
  • Like 1

Still,  This post has nothing to do with wine and now maple syrup is not only used for wine.  I'm only saying as a forester that spend most of my time harvesting fruits and processing them, I would love to see the maple syrup move to it's realistic place in the calendar plus it will give us something to harvest after the pine nuts while waiting for summer to come. 

• Like 4

On 11/5/2017 at 6:47 PM, JakeRivers said:

Okay should of said you would not be mixing maple syrup with grape juice to make wine, as grapes on there own make perfectly fine wine.

What does that have to do with me asking to change  the " HARVESTING" part of maple syrup and why are you talking about grapes?  You kind of when off topic there.  What you do after the harvest is a total different story .   So why would you not want this  to happen really ?

Edited by Arka

So now you wouldn't want this change because if we change this we MUST change others? Didn't you read what I wrote.  The big reason for this change would be because there is nothing else but nuts and then 10 days of nothing.  With this change we would at least have this too.   Would be a lot less boring for foresters and while making this change, it would make a little bit  more sense  for where it is on the calendar but it's not for that really its for that gap   of winter and spring.    And thinking of one thing to change to fill that gap in  winter/spring well maple is the perfect fit. 

Edited by Arka

Its a great suggestion, if you don't have any reasons why the game is better the way it is, than your just off topic.

• Like 1

i think it's nice ide to make wurm more realistic, in this case, it's like cooking addon (for exple if you cook, and know hot to cook some dish, and than in wurm you need different ingridients) let's do not disapoint foresters :D 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, viremental said:

Its a great suggestion, if you don't have any reasons why the game is better the way it is, than your just off topic.

Thanks  man!  True that. 

16 hours ago, Gofs said:

i think it's nice ide to make wurm more realistic, in this case, it's like cooking addon (for exple if you cook, and know hot to cook some dish, and than in wurm you need different ingridients) let's do not disapoint foresters :D 

Thanks a lot for the support.   Yes it's nice to make things more realistic  if we can but my main goal was that,   if this move happens,  me and whoever else loves to harvest fruits, will have something else then just Pine nuts in the winter / spring.   It's very boring for us foresters in those times in the calendar of Wurm. Thanks again

As long as 5 other things aren't in season at the same time, no issues here.  +1

• Like 1

+1

Cool idea.

Never knew that about the biological mechanism behind maple syrup IRL.  I'd go so far as tossing that on the Wiki.  Never hurts to learn something.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2018 at 2:11 AM, Wargasm said:

As long as 5 other things aren't in season at the same time, no issues here.  +1

Yeah I hear you on that but that's exactly the reason of that change.  Would have maple season when there's nothing or just pine nuts  to harvest.  Would have something to harvest in the spring time as there is nothing for almost 10 real life days to harvest.

On 2/9/2018 at 12:59 PM, Reylaark said:

+1

Cool idea.

Never knew that about the biological mechanism behind maple syrup IRL.  I'd go so far as tossing that on the Wiki.  Never hurts to learn something.

Yeah  here where I'm from.  Maple syrup is super popular. Its harvested all over the place  and it's done in spring when the snow from last winter starts to melt but there is still lots of snow around but days are warm and nights a bit cold still.  Wurm calendar has nothing to do in spring time that equals to 10 real life days almost.   Would be awesome to have that change to have something to harvest in those months.

Wow.  This Idea was posted in 2017.  Still after all that time,  there is still nothing to harvest at all in spring time.  Come on must be a really easy change.   Would make a lot more sense and give us forester something to do in those months!   Come on a little forester love that's all I'm asking ?