Sign in to follow this  
Kasumi

Storage for archaeology fragments

heres my 2 cents worth. definately need an archeology container.

Could have a specialized container that stores up to 100, slowing decay of contents in a measure, enough to be useful. I think this measure could be smaller than the reduction for 'full' items on deeds, in other words the myriad of fragments should still decay faster than a jacket dropped in a corner.

The container itself should probably decay fast offdeed, releasing the fragments to their current accelerated rate.

It would be nice if the container is good looking, to allow it to serve a decorative purpose, particularly for players who would want more than one.

A fragment rack would be great. 

A container that has multiple shelves (holding 100 items each), able to hold 100 backpacks of 100 fragments and reduces decay of fragments (only). 

Or some kind of bulk container would be nice as well. 

39 minutes ago, Anarres said:

Could have a specialized container that stores up to 100, slowing decay of contents in a measure, enough to be useful. I think this measure could be smaller than the reduction for 'full' items on deeds, in other words the myriad of fragments should still decay faster than a jacket dropped in a corner.

The container itself should probably decay fast offdeed, releasing the fragments to their current accelerated rate.

It would be nice if the container is good looking, to allow it to serve a decorative purpose, particularly for players who would want more than one.

They already slowed down the decay, my bsu in my above ground shop shows this, can slow the rate more underground I imagine.

A BSU filled with barrels could hold something like 300,000 shards, how much more storage do you need in one spot?

25 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

how much more storage do you need in one spot?

*looks at post, looks at TOC. Looks at post again, looks at Sanford and Sons*

• Like 2

bump. also wouldnt something like an alchemy shelf work (jars in a shelf basicly), but with oils added (during creation) to keep fragments out of the air?

• Like 1

Big +1

Definitely needed.  Just now really beginning to get into this, and the notion that the fragments I'm digging up will take decay with no way to prevent it is frustrating.

Also, as has been mentioned, it makes no sense.  Fragments and artifacts are going to sit in the dirt for potentially hundreds of in game years only to begin to rot away after I take them out of the ground, clean them off, and put them in dry storage protected from the elements?  Its weird.

Any storage created solely for fragments will do, I'm not picky, but a flat display case would be awesome.  Perhaps both!  Bulk fragment container that requires cotton cloth in the crafting for wrapping fragments that will be stored in it, and a separate display case for the special items you feel like putting out to be seen.  And given the size of most of the fragments a storage box should hold a lot of them.

Please tell us it is in the works to be added to the game!

4 minutes ago, Thalius said:

Also, as has been mentioned, it makes no sense.  Fragments and artifacts are going to sit in the dirt for potentially hundreds of in game years only to begin to rot away after I take them out of the ground, clean them off, and put them in dry storage protected from the elements?  Its weird.

Not that wierd, something sitting in dirt is protected from air exposure once exposed decay start to kick. Pretty much simplified of whats actually happening in real life. Although huge +1 for container that will prevent decay of fragments on deed. If we ever get way of producing glass at some point protective display cases would be awesome. Otherwise some sort of cabinets/shelves were we could sort statue and mask fragments without fear of decay is much needed as magic chests simply become too small for this quickly so +1

31 minutes ago, kochinac said:

Not that wierd, something sitting in dirt is protected from air exposure once exposed decay start to kick. Pretty much simplified of whats actually happening in real life. Although huge +1 for container that will prevent decay of fragments on deed. If we ever get way of producing glass at some point protective display cases would be awesome. Otherwise some sort of cabinets/shelves were we could sort statue and mask fragments without fear of decay is much needed as magic chests simply become too small for this quickly so +1

I would not think it odd that metal fragments begin to decay once cleaned and exposed to the air, but any and all stone fragments should not be experiencing the same decay issues based on the same logic.  It is stone, after all.  Air and water should not be any problem whatsoever, unless the water is running over it and the wind is blowing against it constantly.  Sitting on a table or in a box within a house out of the weather should not be an issue for non metal fragments.  I have some stones I keep on my desk in my house.  Unless something happens to the house, and assuming they don't otherwise get moved, they will sit there as they are, unchanged, indefinitely. 

I suppose the game could take into account that boxes that store general items would damage fragments as they are shuffled about, so perhaps that is part of the logic behind them taking damage when not carried on one's person.  It would be a no brainer though for an archaeologist in the real world to set aside a special storage box for fragments alone to protect them. Such an option is badly needed in the game.  It would make Archaeology much more enjoyable, in my humble opinion.

Currently I'm using amphora rack for these..

30x small amphoras for fragments = 3000 pieces.. it's not purely 0 decay.. but it's slowed..

\-That's somewhat solving the problem.. but these 3k pieces eventually form 400-1000 items some of which are the largest possible to create weapons which... hardly fit in few storage options, none of which slows decay.

\- This is only a problem born of .. hoarding.. as we refuse to split with these items with 2-3-4 runes.. even if they are barely making any sense.. these items are somehow unique as we are UNABLE to ever, anyhow create an item with 2 or more runes or enchants defying any logic and wogic... like botd and woa on same item.

Storage and option to extract runes should be evaluated for new content.

8 hours ago, Finnn said:

\- This is only a problem born of .. hoarding.. .

I have to disagree with this point.  While I certainly see the problem of decay is much greater for those who “hoard” large numbers of fragments, I can’t say I am anywhere near a hoarder at this point, yet at least, and I already see the problem and feel the need for storage options.

Edited by Thalius

If you could get bonus to sacking  runes like you do rares , maybe more people would be inclined to do so instead of hoarding ..

+1,

Having to use mule alts and magical chests should never be a necessity. Period.

Edited by Budzilla
  • Like 1