Sign in to follow this  
JakeRivers

Wurm Players having fun? We can't have this!

Why were missions ransacked and looted of anything resembling fun?

On Exodus we did a drive to finish all the construct mission structures so we could enjoy doing this missions. That was soon change to allowing any structure off deed work as a focus point, fine more adventure locating structures and building new ones.

This was a group event for my alliance, when a mission came up we would all get together, those who wanted to do it anyways and travel to the location. These missions once completed rewarded everyone in local with the sleep bonus. More often than naught we would spend more time getting people together or waiting for others to arrive to do the mission than the time gained from actually doing it.

The last patch changed this, now only the required participants get the sleep bonus, so more often than not its now a single person mission. Oh yay!

Now check this out, on the missions where you can share, oh yeah another huge swing of the bat by the fun police, woo woo someone was having fun in wurm again, no way we can permit this to continue, lets make it so we drive more players away!

bI9r83S.jpg?1

So you want 9 of us to travel half way accross the server to yank this avatars chain for what, 3 minutes sleep bonus? This is just one example of all the failed mission coding that was dumped on us with the most recent patch. 

Was a sacrifice mission but you can't do these unless you follow the god asking for the sacrifice, very well thought of.

• Like 2

We actually stated when the ritual mission structure change went live that we intended on reworking this, and we also stated that sleep bonus would be a shared pool divided amongst participants instead of a flat 30 minutes per person regardless of how many participants. The size of the pool scales by difficulty of a mission, a simple one would give less than a more difficult one.

if this post is about raising the total pool then I can say that this will be discussed during the week. 

Some missions have a maximum SB reward per participant. This is fine, but I think there should be a minimum (10 minutes?) as well.

If you are spending 2 minutes getting 1 minute of SB, you were better off not getting the SB.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We actually stated when the ritual mission structure change went live that we intended on reworking this, and we also stated that sleep bonus would be a shared pool divided amongst participants instead of a flat 30 minutes per person regardless of how many participants. The size of the pool scales by difficulty of a mission, a simple one would give less than a more difficult one.

if this post is about raising the total pool then I can say that this will be discussed during the week. 

LOL

whatever

this poor setup you came up with is no surprise with the disaster of a patch this week, all seems par for the course

30 minutes was fine, it comes down to players enjoying wurm can't be good for the game.

Even if the trip to the other side of the server was 15 minutes, I don't think anyone could be arsed to do this.

Your idea is unrealistic and all it will lead to is a sea of missions that don't get done.

You just as well scrap the mission system than have us deal with this bugged setup you came up with along with its asinine rewards.

• Like 3

Tosiek asks you to rip the head off a unicorn, great mission I know where there is a unicorn!

Oh wait, can't do this as I am not a follower of tosiek, hope someone on the server comes along with a unicorn and follows tosiek, way to go!

Oh ritual mission nice, 2 random folks head over to the north east of exodus and perform the ritual of LOLZ on a UNFINISHED PILLAR, woops, someone messed up there, maybe I need to make a lot more unfinished epic structures.

Edited by JakeRivers

Well the mission system is part of the epic system, so it's designed with epic in mind. There is a point to do any mission given because these help your god and help you win/ receive rewards.

Freedom gets to do them for the karma and sleep bonus, and as far as im aware any player can do any gods mission on freedom, the kingdom alignment is an epic thing, like it always has been

8 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Well the mission system is part of the epic system, so it's designed with epic in mind. There is a point to do any mission given because these help your god and help you win/ receive rewards.

Freedom gets to do them for the karma and sleep bonus, and as far as im aware any player can do any gods mission on freedom, the kingdom alignment is an epic thing, like it always has been

remove it from freedom then, give us a alternative path to get sleep bonus and karma then

27 minutes ago, Niki said:

remove it from freedom then, give us a alternative path to get sleep bonus and karma then

Well there's beds, sleep powder, epic portals, and source fountains already 

Sorry that nothing seems to be good enough for you Jake.

Missions and mission rewards will be tweaked over the next few weeks as we go and fixing things like this that come up- unfortunately not everything can be tested for every scenario leading into a large update like this, especially a mission system with so many possible variations.

I suggest in the future if you have a bug or suggestion to report, keep it to the proper section and with civility. This type of post helps nobody.

• Like 1

As someone who has loved having karma and using it with the few items that we can do, I hate this new system with a pea purple passion.  You aren't getting much karma per mission.  You aren't getting much sleep bonus per mission.  It is fine to say well you can spend your money and buy sleep powders etc but I think that is a huge copout.  And in keeping with other things almost a if you don't like it.........  I understand the missions need to have some different effect on Epic and the gods that are fighting.  I do not understand why that has to effect the amount of sleep bonus one gets from doing them or the karma that we were getting on freedom or epic.  Neither of those things had any effect on the gods.  So if you would kindly explain why this had to had the huge nerf bat we'd all appreciate it.

It is a system where I don't see why would Freedom players even look at the mission list anymore. These I fear will always stay at the lowest difficulty and not even considered by anyone to work on them for the miniscule rewards. Also a big concern is that it seems SB is distributed flat - so will split evenly between the players who did anything in the mission and the one killing 159 crocs will get the same amount as the one who killed a single one. This will not encourage to put any more effort than to kill a a single croc....

This has been moved to server bugs, but we'll take part of the feedback and look at potential tweaks as well as addressing the reported bugs with it 

• Like 1

Okay, here are my 2 cents.

I havent read what everyone here said but....I do agree with the complete lack of motivation to do missions anymore.

If you guys have any statistics about completing missions on Xanadu you will notice that most missions never got touched or finished - even if a single kill or a single action could award a player 30 minutes of SB

If back then a lot of missions never got finished, what motivation do you think the people will have now to finish them? 

I do get the argument that there are other ways to get SB, but is that REALLY a good argument to take away the rewards of the few people that actually did missions in the first place? I agreed almost never with JakeRivers in his posts, but this time I fully agree, you shouldnt take actions to remove the enjoyment of the (very limited amount) of people that engage with a feature of the game in the first place.

1) If you wanted to slowly kill off the feature - continue on this path

2) If you wanted to enchance the feature - this is the absolutely wrong direction

If you want to achieve 1) - there are simpler ways to do that :) 

Well anyway, just my 2 cents

Edited by Thorakkanath

currently Xanadu is spitting out construction missions like crazy aswell.

those were fine back when you only needed to build a total of like a dozen and they would forever disappear.

now you have to build them to prevent your accumulated progress bonus from dropping, while ALL structures have the same reward yet completely different difficulties where the rewards are far below sufficient aswell.

just to give some examples:

Name: Everyone: Horrendous quest in service of Nathan
Creator: System
Started: 05.11.17 11:52
Progress: 1.0%
Expires: 08.11.17 11:52

Difficulty: 1 / 7
Description: Nathan asks you to cut down the Orange tree west of Faldor's Tunnel. It is located in the centerwest regions in Freedom Isles.
Rewards: 500 karma to the completer as well as 60m sleep bonus split between nearby players from your kingdom (30m each maximum) upon completion.

thats a tree. at 1 difficulty. A TREE.

Name: Everyone: 's mysterious adventure
Started: 05.11.17 01:15
Expires: 08.11.17 01:15

Difficulty: 3 / 7
Description:  requires you to construct an obelisk. This must be constructed on a 3x3 slabbed area, not inside a settlement, and on a flat surface. This must be built in the north.
Rewards: 250 karma to the completer as well as 750 karma and 75m sleep bonus split between nearby players from your kingdom (max 30m sleep bonus each) upon completion.

3 difficulty mission for a structure that requires a total of 2202 materials. 75 minutes of sleep bonus and a max of 30 per participant.

Name: Everyone: Shining test of Magranon
Started: 03.11.17 18:35
Expires: 06.11.17 18:35

Difficulty: 3 / 7
Description: Magranon requires you to construct a temple. This must be constructed on a 5x5 slabbed area, not inside a settlement, and on a flat surface. It must be built higher up than 100 steps. This must be built in the west.
Rewards: 250 karma to the completer as well as 750 karma and 75m sleep bonus split between nearby players from your kingdom (max 30m sleep bonus each) upon completion.

the same here, 3 difficulty, a mere 75 minutes of sleep bonus.

as you can tell, the balance is completely off here. first off the most you can split the constructions with properly seems to be about 3 people. yet building some of them, especially the higher difficulty ones such as obelisk, pylon, requires far, far more time than this sleep bonus is worth.

another problem i have with this new system is the fact that mission constructions are back at all.

currently xanadu wants you to build 3. then those 3 will be built or expire and the system will just spawn new construction missions.

these things are an eyesore and there is no way to destroy them. this should really be reconsidered.

on a side note, the current epic changes such as introducing a completely new skill system that is far from what the 'wurm' skilling system is like from the sound of it. which sounds as if Budda is currently up for some more code differences between the clusters. so: mission code split between epic and freedom?