Sign in to follow this  
Shydow

[Fixed] Mining speed

I was testing my pickaxes earlier today, with 95.41 pickaxe skill.

95.5 QL normal iron pickaxe, 98 WoA, +10% speed rune - 2.9 second action timer (100% stamina)

95.5 QL supreme iron pickaxe, 96 BotD - 2.7 second action timer (100% stamina)

Is this intentional? Before the update, the normal pickaxe had 2.5 second actions, where the supreme had 2.7 second

My picks have also exhibited weird speed since the update.

99.999 skill in mining and pickaxe, I get

supreme QL95 BOTD103 +10%Speed rune:  2.6 timer

supreme QL97 WOA100 +10%QL rune:  2.5 timer

The first of the two used to be my "speed" pick for everyday mining, but now it's inferior to the second in every way.  Is 3 points of SpeedBonus and a +10% speed rune really supposed to be less effective than +2 QL?  That doesn't sound right at all.  Something is wrong.

• Like 3

Because I am a giant idiot and this bug irritates me, I popped the glimmersteel speed rune off of my pick just to see.

Before:  supreme QL95 BOTD103 +10%Speed rune:  2.6 timer

After:  supreme QL95 BOTD103 -10%DamageTaken rune:  2.6 timer

No difference.  I wonder what the smaller speed bonus does?

After After:  supreme QL95 BOTD103 +5%Speed rune:  2.6 timer

A whole lot of nothing, that's what.

If 2.5 is supposed to be the fastest you can mine, then even a 5% speed rune would do the trick here, with numbers like 2.6*0.95=2.47.  With math like 2.6*0.9=2.34, a glimmersteel speed rune would max out the timer and then some.

Something is wrong.

• Like 3

I did some testing with a 95ql and a 1ql pickaxe

90 mining 95ql pickaxe no woa 3.4 seconds
90 mining 95ql pickaxe 10% speed rune 3.4 seconds 
90 mining, 95ql pickaxe 100 woa 2.9
90 mining 95ql pickaxe 100 woa 10% speed rune 2.9 second

90 mining 1ql pickaxe no woa 12.3  seconds
90 mining 1ql pickaxe 10% speed rune 11.4 seconds
90 mining 1ql pickaxe 100 woa 7.4 seconds
90 mining 1ql pickaxe 100 woa 10% speed rune 6.9 seconds

So the bonus from the rune is there, will pass this on to the dev team to investigate 

So the old timer code for mining had a minimum timer of 4.5s before bonuses are applied, with an absolute minimum of 2.5s. With the change I made it so your base timer is calculated based on your skill/ql and bonuses, then that is added onto the base 2.5s time (so there is no 2s buffer that bonuses take out of). What you're seeing here is the diminishing returns you get at these very high skill and ql levels.

With 99.999 skill and a 95ql pickaxe (no enchants or anything), your timer would be about 3.06s, and swapping that for a 97ql pickaxe the timer would go down to 2.83s (due to how ql comes into play when getting skill for these checks). Removing the base 2.5s timer we get 0.56s and 0.33s to work with on the bonuses. 100 WoA or BotD would make the biggest difference here, cutting those down to 0.28s and 0.165s, but other bonuses like runes and rarity only do about 10% each, which isn't much when you're getting this low.

We could change this back to the minimum no-bonus timer is 4.5s to give the bonuses more to work with, but I think it is a more fair system like this - where bonuses matter more for those that haven't maxed out their skill or item QLs.

Edit: Some more numbers now that I'm looking at it - previously if the average of your skill + pickaxe ql was over 93.3, you were wasting your time as it would not lower the timer any further. Now over that mark you'll still see timer reductions without having to use any bonuses.

Glancing through all the other instances of ENCH_USESPEED, it's pretty consistently multiplying the timer by 0.9090909 with a glimmersteel Libila rune.  Is it really fair that a glimmersteel rune is being made redundant at high levels of skill with only mining?  If 2.5 is meant to be the minimum, then I think the expected behavior of a rune that is timer*0.91 for everything else would be to take that 2.6, drop it to 2.366, but then get raised back to the minimum of 2.5.

Okay, did some more testing of this today with someone in Freedom chat.

My stats:

95.18 Mining, 96.58 Pickaxe skill

95.51 Rare pickaxe, 96 BotD

Result - 2.8s mining action

Moving discussion to new post:

Edited by Shydow

I was that "someone else", on my mining toon.

95,70 Mining, 97,22 Pickaxe

Rare iron pickaxe, 88,23QL, Gathering Rune(+10% Quality), 41 BotD

Result: 2,7s mining action on full, or nearly full, stamina.

Other than these primary skills involved, Shydows stats are generally higher. Little bit funky that I'd have 0,1s less, despite having 7QL less on the pick and an enchant half as strong.

Edited by Flubb