Sign in to follow this  
Alectrys

Creature Movement Feedback

I'm also noticing my horses are constantly moving around in their 1x1 pens in the barns, since I no longer keep horses in large pens.  I can't say for sure if they're reacting to me or just moving around for no reason.  They still clip a bit too, but not too bad.  My barns still look chaotic now though, and unsettling. Before, the horses used to stay put if in a 1x1, and is the primary reason I built my barns like I did. If I re-position them back to the center of the tile now, within minutes they're back at the edges trying to get through the walls and fences. 

All animals on my deed are bred except the pigs. Not sure if the chickens count as bred since I didn't actually breed them with a rooster, but they hatched from fertile eggs laid by chickens who in turn were also hatched on my deed. 3rd and 4th generation, maybe more. About half the horses are cared for.

Also, in response to the consequences of this update, all of my animals are now branded, down to the last chicken and pig. Previously I had only about half of the animals branded so as to not clutter my animal management screen, especially with no-name animals like chickens, pigs, bison, and sheep but it's better than them running around in a panic I guess.

Maybe you could just disable that fleeing and/or constant movement on deeds?  It doesn't appear that being bred, branded, or cared-for is changing much other than the chickens have calmed down a bit and aren't as frantic as they were for a while.

Edited by Amadee

After the fix to them hanging out in the walls/fences...I logged in and noticed they were doing a lot of bunching together in the corners of my 1x2 stalls. Like, x4 bison in just one corner. (I know, too many to be in one stall at a time...I've been lazy about moving them around lately and my deed ratio is over what it needs to be so I don't lose them to disease normally). I figure this will eventually end up diseasing at least one or two. Most of mine aren't branded/bred(Two of those bison actually were)/cared for. A few were still shoving their heads through fences too/staying still. I didn't snap photos, but if you need some I can grab some later...

Referencing the hens/chickens...they are doing circles/bouncing off walls in their pen and almost never stop. Cows are acting similar. Horses seem mostly fine/don't move around as much/freak out like everything else does...maybe check their code to see what was done 'right'?

Also, almost all of these mobs moving around aren't getting any animation/movement...they are just moving around like they are a chess piece being dragged by someone's finger across a board...with no movement of their limbs or anything. I've noticed this a lot with guards too. I haven't made changes to anything graphics-wise, so this is 'default' problems.

Cows and horses inside my barns continue moving around in their 1x1 stalls and are still clipping through the fences in the barns. 

Also, domestic type animals are now invading my deeds on the north coast of Xanadu. Whereas I almost never saw domestic animals coming on deed, but always had lots of aggro mobs, there are now tons of domestics jacking up my creature ratio and much much fewer aggro mobs.

Please remove the new creature movement from deeds.

(oh, and since this is labeled as a "feedback" thread and all our posts were consolidated, shouldn't this be stickied for a while, as other "feedback" threads usually are?  It was promptly buried)

Edited by Amadee

Large paddock (approx 400 tile size - grass, no trees, wooden plank fence)

Wild-spawned sheep in a large paddock move very fast if I'm on foot.  If I'm milking them I find it harder to keep up.  If I am already carrying a lot of milk I just can't keep up with them and have to drop the barrel, and get an empty barrel just to catch up with one.

Wild-spawned cows walk away promptly, but slowly and can be followed.

Rams and bulls seem far less affected by 'fear' than the females. Rams stand still quite happily for longer if you approach cautiously even if wild-spawned. Bulls seldom move.  I would prefer if the females reused the male movement methods, or similar.

Followed sheep appear to turn around at fences and reverse direction with the opposite angles of approach and reflection - a bit like a slow-motion billiard ball off a cushion, somehow that seems ok in a large field.

One steppe ahead

Out on the steppe the females are far more 'flighty' than the males and thus more difficult to catch.

1x2 pens (enchanted grass, wooden plank fence)

Wild sheep penned in a 1x2 move very fast if I approach the pen and especially if I enter it.  These wild sheep ping-pong off the fences, at a reflected angle and even run back past me, leaving me unsure where they are - somewhere under my field of view. They never stop moving, which is symptomatic of panic / distress in real animals. This is distressful to the player as this is the last thing we want to see or cause.  Thankfully they still stand still when being milked.

Bred sheep stand like rocks and hardly ever move.  Really useful for milking, but packing can happen.  With 2 sheep in each 2x1 pen, before the update, I had problems with 2 sheep occupying almost the same space and being unable to click on the 2nd sheep to milk it.  This is now much improved with the bred sheep usually choosing to stand in very different places.

I have a lot of wild-spawned sheep which still need to be managed and milked, so currently I find the sheep easier to milk when I put one bred sheep and one 'crazy' wild-spawned sheep in the same 1x2 pen.  I only have to chase the one and then the more stable sheep is then easy to click on - which then doesn't waste so much of my sleep bonus.

Bred horse movement (7x10 paddock on crops, wooden plank fence)

We saddle the males and leave the females free to roam in a 7x10 paddock.  I haven't noticed the females running away, they seem easy to catch, but I tend to find them around the perimeter more often.  Crops are no longer being packed in the "favourite" corner, as they were before, and animal distribution is a lot more even.   I don't have any wild horses to test. 

Friendly interaction or co-incidence?

Something I used to notice was in the 7x10 paddock, horses would frequently appear to come up and 'nuzzle' by choosing one tile ahead of the player to stop - it may have been co-incidence but it happened quite often.  This kind of unspoken interaction is very appealing to a horse breeder, but I haven't noticed it since the update, not sure whether it still happens.

I would like to be able to call bred sheep and have them come running to me, but we don't have that function just yet. There is, however, no reason why a happy animal should ever run away. My advice is to consider the different relationships between players and the different animal types, and what those relationships seek to achieve, before adapting the animals' behaviours towards the player.

Thank you for the update, it has improved bred animal behaviour tremendously, I just have a lot of crazy wild ones :)

Edited by Muse

I have noticed that bulls never move, in my 2x1 pens. They stay where they were put and have never once stepped anywhere. Then you get cows that bolt/do circles bouncing off the fences when you come towards them. (Branding/breeding would fix this...or so I've read.) and hens/chickens are like they are on some kind of stimulant and never stop moving. Bison move around/away from you also, and Sheep/Rams move a very little bit, but not nearly as bad as the others do. Horses move around a little bit, but not as bad as the others either, as I previously stated. They do occasionally stick a little out of fences at awkward angles...

Since we are giving animals threat numbers to stay away from, would it be possible to make deed borders to appear 'threatening' by upping their value, so you wouldn't get domestic/non-hostiles roaming on deed and tweaking the ratio out? (I personally don't have mobs of any kind down here except what I've gone out and found, so I don't have that particular problem, but I imagine it would become an issue if mobs were here...as half my deed is a cliff face which I can't kill them on/fence off) Or would that somehow lead to some other troubles?

Otherwise, I have begun to see an occasional mob in places I haven't seen them in ages...(I still kill it all so my area probably looks dead on a map that shows creature locations...) Sadly, my area seems to have lost one of it's lairs...so I'm not seeing those anymore. (Cave bugs...there was 2 lairs worth down my way...I haven't managed to go over and check the other one yet.) I have also run across about 4-5 champion hostiles roaming, which I barely ever wandered into before. Otherwise, hostiles seem to be wandering around about like average/before. Not seen anything doing any bolting/strange behavior yet.

Birbs (specifically hens and pheasants) still moving around restless, at incredible speed.

I have a 3x2 chicken coop where I keep one rooster, 2 pheasants and 3 hens, one pheasant (which suddenly went from aged to venerable in less than a week) caught a disease, was impossible to tame it until I had to attack it.

There's no way to groom a hen without leading it, and leading it is a sort of Mission Impossible because they won't stop a second and will hide in walls better than a ninja in a corn field ..

Even funnier, I tamed the diseased pheasant and took it off the pen, left it tamed, with food, on a tile.

He is still tamed, but roamed around on its own, must be somewhere .. on the server.

• Like 1

My chickens are in a 2x2 pen, and also move constantly. Interestingly, my rooster remains unaffected! However the chickens remain traumatised.

19 hours ago, Evening said:

There's no way to groom a hen without leading it

Odd, I can groom my hen (not tamed, fat and venerable and on my deed since about 2 RL years, cared for) without leading her and she seems to move around on my deed like she always did. Only new animals affected perhaps?

On 11/17/2017 at 4:04 PM, Evening said:

Birbs (specifically hens and pheasants) still moving around restless, at incredible speed.

Speaking of birds, I recently came across 2 pheasants out in the wilds. The minute you move up to them, (Not targeting them) they freak out, and run away a bit/few tiles. But if you run up to them targeting them, they sit still, and just take it. They didn't seem to barely be moving out in the wilds...looked like normal before movement addition....at least until I approached...then it bolted and hid in grass, it did it about 3 times before I finally managed to get it's attention. Second time around, I just saw it from a distance and targeted it from way out and rode up on cart and whomped it down. So it's vaguely working as intended in the wilds I think.

I'm not sure if this is the intended byproduct of the recent update to the animal movement as far as avoiding walls and stuff, but I think there might be a flaw here. As you can see in the pictures, the animals aren't exactly avoiding the fences, but lining up near them and simply facing away from them (or sometimes inside them even). You can see a few here and there walking through the open areas of their pens, but for the most part, they are all hanging at the perimeters still. 

Also, this movement update has the chickens going through staircases now (previously they couldn't).

The second set of pics give a bit of an aerial view of some of the pens so you can see what I mean.

Spoiler

ASrK8W8.jpg

Cb6d3wv.jpg

tLi0Gby.jpg

cYTcfb3.jpg

Vzu72lz.jpg

VwACSba.jpg

Day 2 Pics

Spoiler

dhRmuH8.jpg

ncKWXEI.jpg

II7sn2p.jpg

em8uRiC.jpg

8Tkxm5x.jpg

Completely off topic (my animals are also glued to the fences...) but are those champion deer? 0_0

24 minutes ago, olafhairybreeks said:

Completely off topic (my animals are also glued to the fences...) but are those champion deer? 0_0

Yes, they are, We also have champ Dogs and wild cats breedable.... :D

Apologies for resurrecting this thread, but I have some screen shots showing how much livestock now loves fences. The first is from a deed I passed through today:

0mrBxyL.jpg

Almost every single animal in this pen had its rear end firmly attached to the fence, leaving the middle of the pen completely empty.

These two are from my deed, also showing the middle of the pens as empty, with horses round the edges:

UzAofTi.jpg

cx3sHci.jpg

Maybe they all have itchy bottoms?