Sign in to follow this  
Alectrys

Creature Movement Feedback

Creature movement revamp has been ongoing for months.  It was introduced on Celebration as a live case for a while now.  With this patch, it was introduced to the other servers.

• New: Creature movement overhaul has now been introduced to all servers.

In order to keep all feedback in one spot, I've created this thread and will reference all other posted issues here.  Please use this topic for reports.

Other posts relating to the same issue:

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/158706-cows-running-like-crazy-chicken/

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/158575-bug-how-much-longer-do-we-have-to-endure-this/

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/158659-young-and-restless-hens-and-pheasants-and-possible-other-critters/

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/158697-horses-in-walls/

Please keep this thread to detail the issues you are seeing and not just an open rant thread.

In order to properly give the devs information to troubleshoot, we need to keep this thread to detailed issues you are seeing.

The more details you give, the easier it is to pinpoint the issue and look for a cause.

Fixes addressing some issues:

• Like 1

Thanks to the change of animal pathing in pens an old change which made cows NOT run away when being groomed or milked got removed too. When i entered my cows pen today they kinda 'exploded' into the fences trying to run from me all the time while i wanted to groom and milk them. Thats even worse than it used to be 2 years ago. I have to say this 'update' turned just about everything about animal pathing in pens to the worse:

- sticking thru fences and walls

- cows/sheep running away from player (penned animals didn't run away, was fixed roughly 2 years ago)

- animals now tend to hang out in fences or walls while the center of pen is free so 'better' distribution in pen is questionable. There are way better random generators than the one used by wurm code which have a nearly even distribution of random numbers.

I think it would be even better to revert to previous code than to keep this 'update'.

Amadee likes this
  • Like 5

Yes, please revert this part of the update. It's all pretty much been said in those threads, one of which was started prior to it being added to all servers. I'm sorry to sound so cynical this early in the morning but I really do have to ask, to what purpose is this thread?  Nothing was done before.

It was reported as a serious issue on Cele and so it was then decided to give it to all servers unfixed. Why? It is very distressing and I quite honestly can't stand to see my animals now. It makes me nervous.

Maybe the devs don't feel that it's serious because the animals aren't escaping, as said in one of the replies in the bug section, but it is most serious for those who used to find tending their animals to be a calming activity. 

Not to mention, that my barns now all have horses and cows sticking out through the walls and their stalls are all empty.

Please do something about this.  Many people, myself included, are most seriously displeased. (trying to be polite and not get myself a reprimand)

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 6

Most points have been made, so just adding myself to the list of people who does not really enjoy working with animals anymore as they behave now. :(

It's a utter mess... visually... ._.

Usually I love what you guys do so, really not happy that I have to say something bad for once. ._.

• Like 4

Why? Just... why? It was clearly broken and unpopular on Cele, there was no logic in introducing it everywhere yet.

My bison appear to enjoy impaling themselves on fenceposts. At least the horses can be convinced to stay put with saddles. My chickens clearly are desperate to escape my clutches.

As for the eastward migration - it's getting like the Great migration across our deed with all the cows passing through. 'cept this also means one of the main hunting spots will be emptied as the passive mobs scarper up the mountainside where no one can get them.

• Like 4

Please keep this thread to detail the issues you are seeing and not just an open rant thread.

In order to properly give the devs information to troubleshoot, we need to keep this thread to detailed issues you are seeing.

The more details you give, the easier it is to pinpoint the issue and look for a cause.

I have the same concerns that everyone else seems to have about the animals moving into the walls. I don't see any escaping as of right now. My main concern is however that the babies in my pens seemed to get lost in the walls. I had a hard time finding them once I figured out what was happening. When I first logged on I thought I had actually lost 3 babies during the update. Once I saw one walk back into the pen from the wall, I realized where the other baby went. I am sure if I was using a High rope fence it would not be a problem, but my outside walls are stone walls. So I had a hard time finding them. 

As Alectrys has said, please keep this thread to the point on what issues you're seeing in game, not your opinions on whether it should be live or not.

Regarding penned creatures fleeing from you, if the creature is bred, branded or cared for and is inside a deed, it should not react to players (or other creatures) moving around. If your creatures are directly responding to your movement (that is moving away from you when you get close every single time) and they are bred/branded/cared for and on deed, please let me know.

As for creatures poking through walls, yes I know it is an annoying thing and I've been working on it to try and sort it out. There were some changes with the update to try and address this, but clearly didn't work - so I'll continue to work on them until they don't like to shove their heads through solid stone. Expect more updates to address this soon. In the mean time know that they won't escape the pens at all, even if they look like they're well on their way.

• Like 2

Just saying......everyone does not brand/care for each and every critter they have on deed.

• Like 1

More issues than them just poking heads through walls. I cannot find foals in the walls. They move so much they trample grass in minutes. Hell horses move so much i cannot even get into the pens of them without getting attacked by nearly all of them.

• Like 1

i am sorry, but on xanaduu we asked for changes to the creature spawns years ago and nothing changed (much) so now a lot of people including myself have just worked around the issue

we have our main deed in center xana and a deed for hunting up north.

I honestly feel changing it now kinda messes up the server lore or something where the north is dangerous and south tame. 

also there were reports that creatures end up in the east now. so time to kill the deed in the north and move east ? 

sorry for the rant, but i waited a long time for changes and then we made the deeds to accommodate the inequality and now it gets moved / changed.

a lot of silver down the drain.

• Like 2

Can not breed.  More issues than them just poking heads through walls!  :angry:

I can breed but not tamed animals, because leading them is a disaster (I posted a thread about this in bugs). They run off up hills and through locked gates even as they're still being led.

If we're going to fix the issue of animals sticking out of pens, please could we fix it for all animals? My champion animals have always done this, it would be good to be able to tell which pen these are in as well.

My horses are much better today - THANK-YOU! However my branded chickens are still traumatised and are running around the pen maniacally. Should I drug them?

I have found three issues:

* Chickens and sheep can disappear inside stone walls.

* Butchered corpses can disappear inside stone walls.

* Sheep and cows can get so far into the end of a pen that it is impossible to lead a male close enough to breed (my pens are 1x2).

I haven't experienced any animals fleeing from me, but they move so quickly it is often difficult to start grooming/shearing/milking, and, in a 1x2 pen, they can get out of my reach no matter where I stand.  (So, maybe that's 4 issues.)

Thank you.

Aggressiveness on Hell horses is way too high now. I have to untarget and leave building a dozen times in order to breed one set.

Here is a doozy for you budda, I am sure my silly crab will not be the only tamed pet to go off on its own in the days to come.

So I tamed a crab cause I wanted to keep him for a pet.

Take this crab over to the animal pens, I have a nice empty pen awaiting his arrival. Only thing is the crab even though he is being led on a rope seems to wonder around like your dog on a leash, ill go here Ill go there and so on. I can't get this crab to stop inside the pen I wanted him in, he kept walking past the pen and out the gate on the other side. This is after I stopped and it is still being led. I go back and forth trying to get it to stop at the pen and somehow it decided it wanted to fight the champ bear in the pen next to that, this crab just waltzed right through the gate up to the bear. I run in and lead it back out, I go 6 tiles out past the locked gate of the main part of the animal pens. I stopped turn around and watched this crab change his mine and head right back to the bear, through a locked gate and another gate with no lock. It did this 4 times and each time I would go farther away, last one was 20 tiles and looked like the crab got over the bear, got up to get a beer and came back in time to hear it die to the champ bear. The crab was tamed the whole time and at no time did i have agro on the champ bear.

The leading tamed animals bug is the same with dominated animals. I haven't tried it with a charmed one yet...

One thing I'm still noticing, is that despite (most) clipping having gone, all my animals are still magnetically drawn to the edges of their pens.

Middle of the pen:

erlqZA9.jpg

One edge of the pen:

3fxJEA3.jpg

Edited by olafhairybreeks