Sign in to follow this  
meat

IRON PLATE

The game will always have additions. Before there was no plate market as people who needed plate (pvpers) would get it free from their pmks. Now its a viable freedom armor set since it has highest damage resistance within affordable parameters and easier to imp. And since freedomers fight on top of a horse anyways, movement speed means nothing. 

The idea that your efforts were wasted because you will no longer have a "special snowflake" status is a very selfish one. Expecting developers will not add new content, gear or skills because they will diminish your accomplishment is very narrow minded and selfish. I for one always welcome new content into the game. Dont look at it with a bruised ego, but realize you now will have yet another option on the items you can produce, giving variety in a game that often needs it. You can now choose to make steel or iron, and enjoy the benefits each presents.

I cant see how is that a bad thing.

• Like 1

okay okay I found the new reason to have metallurgy. I'm going to replace all the wooden mine doors I have - which now look like gates of early 20th century middle class condos (tenement house? How do you call them in English at all?)  and very much out of place for me in my settings - with steel mine doors. Thanks for the option to remove those doors using a crowbar now!

• Like 1

On the one hand iron plate will need re imped more but its much easier to get skill in now. Tbh getting 70 pas and 50 metallurgy / coalmaking wasn't that hard when I did it just means fewer steps now for new people who want to make their own gear.

You can get PAS by using leather, so steel has never been a must for skilling.

• Like 1

Sure, but if you and  a few friends wanted to use plate then it makes sense to make a decent amount of steel and its not that much that you need to grind pas.

I'm enlightened. The coalmaking problem - where you weren't getting enough decent high ql coal from piles even having 90ish skills.... now resolved. Anyone can mine 100ql iron.

rather than fix the coal issue they made it irrelevant. Now steel plate will be for show with the affordability of iron plate. I only hope that the benefits of steel over iron get worked on some to keep steel viable. sad to see it go now that i can make it after 5 years

17 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

For those saying all the effort they spent getting their PAS on steel, I say bull. You have always been able to do it with a scale glove and leather. Its how I did my PAS. If you went straight steel, then that was a choice and the fact that now Iron is in the mix means nothing.

On Epic, I ground platesmithing to 50 using steel I made from charcoal scavenged from lava spiders, hellhounds, and the like. I feel pretty good about that now; thanks. :)

Oh, and I love the new iron plate! Thumbs up for a very nice surprise from the developers.

Yeah you can use steel. You can also use gold to skill up chainsmithing. Doesn't mean its efficient or that your skill is more valuable because you choose a more difficult method. Thats all I meant.

Well, scale is in short supply on Epic (or it was). :) I've never seen any for sale, and there haven't been enough active players to liberate it from its original owners. :P

And yes, steel has a 2.5% DR bonus (at least on Epic).

Since can do Iron now, be nice to be able to do gold and silver as well.

• Like 1

Some numbers from patch notes and previous knowledge:

In freedom:

chain armour  ql 100 protects from 55% dmg (45% pass)

iron plate ql 100 protects from 63% dmg (37% pass)

steel plate ql 100 protects from 70% dmg (30% pass)

changing from steel plate to iron plate is a 23% damage increase (from the point of view of the steel plate wearer) while keeping all the disadvantages of plate, also getting +wear on armor

changing from chain armour to iron plate  is a 17% damage taken reduction, at the expense of the plate hit/dodge/speed/weight disadvantages. At least steel plates gives -33% and has reduced wear..

if it's true that rarity levels increase damage reduction by 3%, a fantastic iron plate would just equal a common steel one.

In my opinion, iron plate is just good to train plate smithing, i don't want to walk around in my own coffin.

The real change is that plate smithing training has become much less expensive than before

Edited by IrithAllyrin

That is only true if steel plate is %70 and not %65 (hence %2 difference). Silver/gold minedoors, iron plates... No real reason to make coal or gather it now. Making tools from steel? that is not really a thing, except skillers which take a tiny ammount of low ql steel.

As a very high level plate smith I know very well that plate doesnt really have a market. People usually made for their friends and for their kingdoms for free. Now they will make it from iron and imp it with iron, which lifts a very heavy weight from their shoulders. If the difference is only %2, I suspect nobody will be making/using steel plate armor anymore. Also, regular and rare/supreme plate pieces were always far cheaper than they were supposed to be because of lack of demand in pve and free handouts in pvp. Now the iron plate will be far easier to make and probably a little cheaper, instead of steel plate requiring a lot of effort to make and being very cheap. It might actually have a market now and prices might start to make sense. It would have been better if they added a new important item that required steel though. The coalmaking and metallurgy skills are almost worthless now (especially coalmaking). Might be a good time to add crossbows that require steel as part and requiring steel to imp, using only steel bolts.

Honestly I am surprised they didnt add bronze plate armor instead (or both, since people would still want it for the looks even though it would be more expensive). Not "that" easy to make and doesnt require coal, you no longer start cursing after finding copper and tin veins. If we have gold chain, we can have bronze plate, and also gold plate!

Edited by Lucyein
  • Like 2

I do think metallurgy needs something now if it isn't steel but that is another issue. I'm fairly high in both and it would be nice to see more items to make with high metallurgy even.

I think making certain grinds more approachable like PAS is good QoL which ultimately helps the game.

I don't understand why people get upset, save your steel for something else now like steel tools. 

I think it's fine, everything is fine. 

I got an ideea..lets make weapon smithing very easy to grind! you know.. it will help new players and QoL or such things..

We are upset becouse the game gets easier and easier and there are less challanges for us..we should have some stuff that are not easy to get for everyone.If we work hard for it..we deserve to earn a silver or two from that skill also.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonydowy said:

I got an ideea..lets make weapon smithing very easy to grind! you know.. it will help new players and QoL or such things..

That already happened--they're called spears.

• Like 1

Played around a bit with both steel and iron plate imping a set of each from creation through to 80+ ql.

It really feels like iron plate takes more effort compared to steel once you get past about 70 ql.

Anyone else tried this out and noticed anything similar?

16 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

WTB all your obsolete steel imping lumps

Why would they be obsolete? I think they actually might be complementary.

Issue new recruits an iron set for their training cycle. Once ready and skilled for front line duty issue them a steel plate set fulled imped up.

I think there's room for both types.

Hey I am just trying to help out the down and out metallurgists unload all there steel stocks!