Sign in to follow this  
meat

IRON PLATE

Does the base armor reduction rate of 63% for iron plate mean that once you create a piece you have that amount of damage reduction? Little confused at how it is worded on the patch notes, as a 70ql piece of steel plate offers around the same protection according to the wiki. Just looking for clarification.

Thanks

8ish% at 1ql up to 63% at 100ql. steel plate is 65% (thought it was 70% but patch notes says 65%) and has 20% reduced damage taken to the plate itself.

quality affects the amount of the damage reduction you are getting for the one piece of armor, so if you wore a mish mash of iron / steel plate, the steel pieces would have their DR if you take a hit and it hits the steel, however if you got hit again in an iron part it would use the damage reduction from that piece, its not an overall DR stack from wearing all the armor pieces, just where you are hit and what armor is there.

2 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

8ish% at 1ql up to 63% at 100ql. steel plate is 65% (thought it was 70% but patch notes says 65%) and has 20% reduced damage taken to the plate itself.

so your saying that steel plate tops off at 65%? So then the only difference is in the damage to the armor itself as steel will take less?

yes pretty much all steel items are 20% more resistant to damage unto itself.. it degrades slower due to damage.... just like a steel pickaxe or steel; chainmail when compared to iron as the standard..

Edited by Psalamon

It could possibly be that only epic has steel plate at 65% and it's still 70% on freedom, drake scale and plate in those patch notes are all 5% lower than what the wiki says/ what it is in WU, and cloth was buffed to something that it already was supposed to be. If it's the same value then yeah steel only has 1-2% extra dr and 20% less dmg taken.

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

3 minutes ago, Psalamon said:

yes pretty much all steel items are 20% more resistant to damage unto itself.. it degrades slower due to damage.... just like a steel pickaxe or steel; chainmail when compared to iron as the standard..

Thanks... Just seems like iron plate is going to be more common as you can easily get higher ql lumps instead of the process of making steel. Not sure I like that but I do like the fact I can now have 95ql plate at a moments notice.

Edited by meat
  • Like 1

You will for sure see many more freedomers using plate as it will be cheaper/easier to imp. 

• Like 1

This is definitely a black Thursday for us metallurgists/platesmiths ...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jaz said:

This is definitely a black Thursday for us metallurgists/platesmiths ...

Ya bit of an unwelcome surprise this, tho since my met/plate smithing were only just getting to useful levels, im not feeling as bad as those w really good skills

Ah well, c'est la vie

I've grinded metallurgy on both clusters and grinded platesmithing on both clusters and this is one of the best parts of the update tbh, I don't care if it devalues anything, especially not when fancy people can imp scale with leather for plate smithing.  It just makes the game better for newer/lower skilled players which is good

• Like 12

Scale should have been required to use steel. I still think if they are gonna devalue the prior work put into PAS the armor bonus for making it from steel should be way higher than iron.

• Like 1

Like i told my friends..they show us the middle finger with this iron plate armour that is 2% less better then steel!

While you people say it makes the game better for new players..it messes it up for us old players..all our goals we worked so hard for go down the drain,do they not  care for keeping old players keep playing too? stuff like these make us upset,why would we do any more of these project if they become the new normal later on..

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, Jonydowy said:

While you people say it makes the game better for new players..it messes it up for us old players..all our goals we worked so hard for go down the drain,do they not  care for keeping old players keep playing too?

hello I am old player.  I grinded 71 plate smithing on freedom and 96 on epic.  armor has 0 bearing on if I play or not.  if someone will seriously quit over steel then it's a scapegoat and nothing more

• Like 8

Sorta makes my 99 plate smithing and 1400kg of 87QL steel and 700kg of 90 QL steel lumps sad...

I wish there was more of a jump between steel and iron. Maybe make it 58-60% instead of 63%.

Edited by Hailene
  • Like 1

No one buys plate on freedom anyways, and PMKs hand it out for free, so before this patch there was no market for plate.

Now there's a market. More and more freedomers will start using plate because of the cool factor and the fact it can be imped with iron, which means cheaper to obtain and maintain. There is no reason to not use plate on freedom now. Will it sell like hotcakes? Probably not. Probably it will be as popular as any other armor set there. But it means more options and more variety for players out there.

For those saying all the effort they spent getting their PAS on steel, I say bull. You have always been able to do it with a scale glove and leather. Its how I did my PAS. If you went straight steel, then that was a choice and the fact that now Iron is in the mix means nothing.

I am already imping my first iron set and loving it. I'm going to enchant it with AOSP and go wear it for pve! :D

d86d23bddec055616c692ee75854c0b1.png

Look at that sexy beast.

• Like 3

people might finally stop wearing cloth while dual wielding shortswords at rifts on freedom.

yay for iron plate!

• Like 4

steel plate still has 70% base DR on freedom right ? so iron plate is almost the same as chain if you ignore the damage types that are not so different.. so steel plate is still better, what will change is the way people grind the skill, it will be much easier now since you don't need high ql steel anymore. In pvp that difference probably matters, so it won't change much there, except in epic where there is no difference (if i got this right) so nobody will use steel plate anymore over there

Edited by faty

Iron plate is an excellent addition.

I don't see any nerf to people who spend hours grinding metallurgy, as there still is a market for steel tools, and probably will be for steel plate because of the damage reduction.

As for me, it just adds another skill I need to grind on this new char :)

9 hours ago, MrGARY said:

hello I am old player.  I grinded 71 plate smithing on freedom and 96 on epic.  armor has 0 bearing on if I play or not.  if someone will seriously quit over steel then it's a scapegoat and nothing more

people set big goals so they can be the best at something, when that something gets very common or not usable.. the work we did feels waste of time..

I didn't say i quit over this but if  changes like these keep happening people will..becouse all their hard work will feel like nothing and we can't make everything easier becouse of the new lazy people that may or may not play the game for a month or two..who likes wurm likes it for the fact that is hard and keeps you playing..its not for everyone.

Something to think about,imagine a wurm with every skill as easy to grind as blacksmithing.;)

Anyway i said my peace.

• Like 1

This iron plate addition is of benefit to a much broader player base of the game in that it makes the game less expensive for them to play in terms of additional purchase options (buying stuffs from other players). Sure some few that formerly created plate armor for sale will now make less coins (RL$) from "playing" the game. Somehow this doesn't bother me much.

Then again, this iron plate will be less expensive to purchase so it will open up that market for RL money making enjoyment of the former fewer. Also perhaps a few new plate smiths will be created with this easier iron availability. Oh, but that's more competition for profits. Anyway, I look forward to seeing more on the PvE servers decked out in this new iron plate. Good addition and option to the game on several fronts.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonydowy said:

people set big goals so they can be the best at something, when that something gets very common or not usable.. the work we did feels waste of time..

I didn't say i quit over this but if  changes like these keep happening people will..becouse all their hard work will feel like nothing and we can't make everything easier becouse of the new lazy people that may or may not play the game for a month or two..who likes wurm likes it for the fact that is hard and keeps you playing..its not for everyone.

Something to think about,imagine a wurm with every skill as easy to grind as blacksmithing.;)

Anyway i said my peace.

I can only agree with the statement that a too easy Wurm will do wrong to Wurm. At least to the maybe abnormal guys who grind a lot. I've played on several WU servers and to be honest I got very fast bored after getting and being able to make all the shiny and top level stuff in a few months... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ayes said:

This iron plate addition is of benefit to a much broader player base of the game in that it makes the game less expensive for them to play in terms of additional purchase options (buying stuffs from other players). Sure some few that formerly created plate armor for sale will now make less coins (RL$) from "playing" the game. Somehow this doesn't bother me much.

I'm quite sure income from platesmithing was quite negligible for all the high end platesmiths. Don't pull it to the monetary plane of argument, it is very far from that. I doubt anyone made a fortune (or even an upkeep of bigger deeds) from metallurgy or platesmithing lately. I'm not sad losing money on it, I earned exactly zero income from these skills.

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 4

/me counts his stacks of real life money he made by making plate sets and selling for top dollor :blink:

you guys are crazy..don't get us confused with those buy stupid cheap sell stupid expensive traders or private uniques killings or killing on chaos and selling scale/drakes sets on freedom.. we are bare newbs imping for 3 hours infront of a forge for 2-3 silver(if we get lucky once a month selling our ######) to pay our upkeep..

mentioning the premium time would be dreams