Sign in to follow this  
Sirene

6th and 7th speed trait for horses with training

Hello,

I was thinking about the value of horses and the dead market regarding horse breeding. I was questioning myself, what would make horsebreeding more interesting, what would value time and efford people put into it and I came to one solution:

Make horses better with training! If you could train a horse to get more speed, you would give people

a) something to work on,

b ) something to hire people for,

c) horses would become more interesting in comparison to hellhorses because they would be as fast as them without the unhitching/ biting burdens. So they could become more valued means better priced again.

People that would put real efford into their horse business would stand out from those that just mass produce. Mass producing would infact make no sense anymore because you would need to much time to train all those horses up to selling status of 7th speed.

My idea would mean you train a horse with riding it, (working cart horses should not become automaticly faster without any efford), maybe you would need the skill too, like 60 animal husbandry for 6th and 70 animal husbandry for 7th speed.

d) This would give AH a new push because atm most people dont raise it much higher than 50 because this way they get all the speed traits they wanted without breeding useless other traits into the horses.

e) You would give even training stables a chance to pop up, where someone could give their horse away for some time and get it back fully trained.

f) And people would come out of their deeds more, because they need to train their horses. This way some forgotten landscapes would maybe become racing-grounds and more populated again.

What do you think about this?

Cheers :)

Edited by Sirene
  • Like 2

I think your heart is in the right place, but I would put my horse in a 1x1 pen with auto-walk on, and tab out to watch a movie while I "train" my horse.  People wont leave the deed more for it, the market may boom for a month or two untill 7speeds become the new normal, etc.

Instead, I would nerf horses breeding, but remove the penalites for those with higher AH to cover the 50-100 skill bracket with positive traits.  Or making 5speeds something that only people with 85+ AH can achieve. (or any other arbitrary skill level).

+1 to giving AH increased value after 50skill points

-1 to adding 7 speed horses and screwing balance so that breeders can make extra 50c a month.

Maybe that can be prevented like speed must be a certain amound over a certain amound of time... . Something coders need to think about in that case.

Rolf once said that animals were meant to level up so to speak but i have never seen anyone mention it again so not sure if this is something he intended on doing or maybe it is a feature that is not working not sure. I think he was referring to your pet fighting with you but this could also apply here. As far as the 1x1 pen auto walk i am sure they can make it like prospecting where you dont get skill on the same tile for long.