Sign in to follow this  
Finndar

Last log for coal piles - Walnut or Birch or .. ?

There is a "conventional wisdom" on Indy in kchat that the last log you should attach to a coal pile is Walnut, for the longest burn time and thus the most output of charcoal/ash/tar.

This confuses me, because I have seen references that say Birch is the longest burning wood type. 

What's the best wood to attach last to a coal pile, to ensure the longest burn time?

Thanks!

Wood type affects production:

• Cedarwood piles burn slower due to their decay tick mechanic, but produce the same amount as a non special wood type.
  • Oakenwood piles produce more charcoal as they take less decay per tick and thus have more ticks.
  • Walnut Piles give a 10% bonus on the quality of the items it produces.
  • Other wood types have no effect on burn time or charcoal production.
  • Like 1

Okay so coal piles aren't "burning" per se, they're decaying. This means that there's three wood types that come into play

Walnut - Walnut is a special property for coal piles, and boosts production ql by 10% (This is huge now, since in the past the ql of the output reduced with every piece put out, but now it all stays pile ql without damage)

Cedar - longer time between decay ticks, this means that at the end, you'll have the exact same amount of output per a pine pile, but takes longer to get there

Oak - Less decay per tick. This is the one that provides more output, since each "decay tick" a pile takes produces an item, less decay per tick - more ticks - more output

In short

Walnut = 10% higher ql

Oak = more produce

Cedar = longer time to produce same as generic wood

Generic wood (any not listed) = normal

Birch only affects burning, and counts as 2x the fuel, so doesn't help at all for piles. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

you'll have the exact same amount of output per a pine pile, but takes longer to get there

what the heck was the idea behind that process?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

what the heck was the idea behind that process?

Given a pile is just something that takes decay ticks and produces items each tick, I'd guess that all the usual mechanics with decay apply to it, cedar items are longer between ticks, oak takes less per tick. 

It's just a misconception that piles burn instead of decay

• Like 1

sure I get that part, but what is the point for building a pile that will take longer to decay if the end result will be the same amount of material

12 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

sure I get that part, but what is the point for building a pile that will take longer to decay if the end result will be the same amount of material

The problem is that you're looking for a benefit or reason to do so. There isn't one, it's just a product of game mechanics where it isn't broken, so there's no reason for devs to risk breaking something else to change it

• Like 3

Sure maybe it was intended that way, but I am sure there was a reason for the cedar to extend the burn time, someone just forgot to code for it, lolz.

I can't imagine it was added just so someone could watch a coal pile burn for an extra day.

And because retrograde has not responded to this simple question means no one knows the reason, lol.

Edited by JakeRivers

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

Sure maybe it was intended that way, but I am sure there was a reason for the cedar to extend the burn time, someone just forgot to code for it, lolz.

I can't imagine it was added just so someone could watch a coal pile burn for an extra day.

And because retrograde has not responded to this simple question means no one knows the reason, lol.

You are missing the point, cedar has reduced decay ticks.  A coal pile is a container that decays therefore it takes less decay ticks over a given period of time.  To change it would require special coding so coal pile containers worked differently. End of story.

As for there being a benefit, got me thinking that there is a fairly large benefit actually if you need a large amount of ash but are not on every day to collect it.  Assuming standard mechanics apply, I'd say the items in the cedar coal pile (container) take less decay as well.  Since ash decays so fast that one has to be rigorous to collect it everyday, using cedar piles might give a bit more room to delay logging in to collect.  That could be useful from time to time if you know you will be off line for a couple of days while the piles decay down.

• Like 4

In Wurm even we are containers.. well sometimes. .sometimes not.. ahem.,.. you know what I mean.....=<

Could be they list it to let players know it will take longer just as a warning not so much as a recommendation to use it. Is that not why we make FSB's ships buckets etc out of cedar in the first place?

• Like 1

A little bit off topic, but only a little:

Does the ql bonus from Walnut hold true for campfires as well, or is it only true for charcoal piles?

• Like 1

Guys the reason is bcz not all woods are alike and it's a different variety of wood that isn't a benefit and by not using it, it becomes a benefit.  The reward of having it in the game is discovering that you shouldn't use it.  Why should all woods have a benefit maybe some are bad for certain activity eh, ever think of that  XD.

I mean i guess it could be a benefit if you know like you aren't gonna be on the next day and you can sit and let it burn (inside a cave) thanks to jakerivers for that tip, then your coal ash and tar won't take damage aye?

On 11/20/2017 at 1:20 PM, Ninjai said:

I mean i guess it could be a benefit if you know like you aren't gonna be on the next day and you can sit and let it burn (inside a cave) thanks to jakerivers for that tip, then your coal ash and tar won't take damage aye?

You could have just saved yourself the post and quoted goldfever's October 31'st post. 

As for damage, the contents of your piles will still take damage in a cave, just, as with cedar, the decay will be slower.