Sign in to follow this  
BrokenSanity

Does anyone actually want the Wurm Unlimited Skill Gain System on Epic Servers?

Does anyone actually want the Wurm Unlimited Skill Gain System on Epic Servers?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the Epic skill gain system to change when the Update is released?

• Yes, change it!
    • No, I like it how it is.

5 hours ago, Wonka said:

Out of curiosity, how long (approximately) did it take you to go from 1 - 20 AH, in terms of hours spent?

I'm gonna rant again. :P My alt has a nice CoC brush, plenty of docile creatures available free of mobs, sleep bonus, and the knowledge to use it all, none of which I had as an actual newbie. This isn't about the time required, it's about the frustration required.

(I haven't actually tracked the time, but I'm at 18, and I'd roughly estimate 60 successful grooms.)

3 hours ago, Rathgar said:

Yet, my fondest memories are from when I first started, and I had the most tolerance for the slow things, compared to the tedium of being well established and gaining fractions of skills a day when you are already high on a skill.

And the worst moments, have always been creating alts and trying to do something with them, so, without trying to invalidate your perspective and feedback, I have to say that for me, being a new player was great, and making an alt is no indication of what the new player percieves or experiences.

I've only been playing two months, so my -main- is still new. :P Again, it's not about slowness. For instance, to grind chain smithing on my main, I was happy when I discovered some low QL chain boots, because I knew it would be far less frustrating to get a skill started by imping versus creating.

That's crazy. :P A newbie isn't going to know that, nor should they have to. Creation should be just as good as imping to get a skill started, and the fact that it isn't is hurting the game.

Clearly, you're one of the few people who wasn't initially turned off by the frustration. That's cool. :) But, I can't recall ever seeing more than 1K players on Wurm at any one time. That's not cool.

When I started in 2012, there was almost always more than 1k players at a time. 

As a former long time epic player, this change is seriously making me consider coming back, and a bunch of my friends on WU have been saying the same thing. Asking a few players who don't care about epic in the first place, or who are content with the current and afraid of change isn't a good way to gauge interest in a change. If the current system was good enough, perhaps our epic population wouldn't be dying a painful protracted death. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2017 at 6:22 AM, Drastox said:

In my personal opinion, body stats need to be capped at maybe a max of 50 or lower, tomes removed, local reduced, map size small. And you got a good start

im good with all this except stats cap, sure cap strength at 50 in terms of damage reduction or something, but not a hard cap at 50 overall pls, i want to carry more shiet and also have something to continually strive for

also im super excited and hope that a reduction of local does happen.. imagine how scary it would be when people pop local with a range of like 45 lol, only problem is something needs to be done about karma recall then imo like a 3minute CD if an enemy was in local maybe? it would be terribly hard to keep people from karma'ing if you aren't like right behind them with eyes on them the entire time (gl on the tree infested ele)

I think it would change the play style completely as you'd have to be constantly looking around (keep player render distance the same but just change local range,I think we all know this but I just wanted to mention it anyway) instead of just running randomly half afk'ish until you hit a white name in local

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Roccandil said:

I'm gonna rant again. :P My alt has a nice CoC brush, plenty of docile creatures available free of mobs, sleep bonus, and the knowledge to use it all, none of which I had as an actual newbie. This isn't about the time required, it's about the frustration required.

(I haven't actually tracked the time, but I'm at 18, and I'd roughly estimate 60 successful grooms.)

This was the root of my question - when I first skilled AH on epic, I don't remember it being a problem.  Yes, there were fails, but I remember being far more frustrated about failing making kindling - I mean, how hard could that be?  Having recently moved to pve, and re-skilled the more useful skills, again, I didn't find the failure rate a problem.  Not being able to imp to 70+ in a few minutes was far more annoying (and the skill transfer thingy will massively help with that), and that's not really a problem that applies to a new player.  Ultimately, that may just be a difference of opinion.  I'd suggest that if you actually want to change this, getting some actual nunmbers (possibly by experimentation or simulation), then suggesting ways to directly reduce those numbers is useful.

5 hours ago, Wonka said:

This was the root of my question - when I first skilled AH on epic, I don't remember it being a problem.  Yes, there were fails, but I remember being far more frustrated about failing making kindling - I mean, how hard could that be?  Having recently moved to pve, and re-skilled the more useful skills, again, I didn't find the failure rate a problem.  Not being able to imp to 70+ in a few minutes was far more annoying (and the skill transfer thingy will massively help with that), and that's not really a problem that applies to a new player.  Ultimately, that may just be a difference of opinion.  I'd suggest that if you actually want to change this, getting some actual nunmbers (possibly by experimentation or simulation), then suggesting ways to directly reduce those numbers is useful.

RNG means that fails and successes will cluster, and so some new players will experience the frustration of creation failure in one area, and some in another (and some may get lucky and never see it), but which area is irrelevant (and I too remember thinking kindling failure was silly).

The real issue is that creation failure tells a new player they're wasting their time. I cannot express how much of a business blunder that truly is. :(

Furthermore, the core difficulty of the game is not in length of skill grinding, but rather opportunity cost. When I log in, I have so many gameplay options that it's difficult to decide which I want to pursue, because I know I can't do them all. Lengthy grinding simply supports opportunity cost, by not allowing players to do everything.

Thus creation failure, RNG, the requirement for low-QL tools, movement requirements for some skills, and so forth: all are noise and needless complexity. Grinding a skill simply needs to take a long time, and that can be enforced without byzantine rules and RNG madness. Simply using a skill should level it (like weapon skills).

Even so, the weight of the time required should be at the latter end of the skill, such that beginners can have fun quickly levelling to 20, and discover that they need to pay up to if they're serious about continuing. Again, however, the obstacles Wurm puts in the way of that obvious principle stuns me. :P (And now I know why the game is called Wurm; it's shot itself in the feet so much it has none left. :P )

4 hours ago, Bix said:

Who regrets voting "Yes"? :)

Atm I do, but i dont think its intended the way it works now, right??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bix said:

Who regrets voting "Yes"? :)

Not me, but then I'm not trying to grind level 90+. :)

The irony, though, is that the original poster voted "No" at least partly for this reason:

...but I don't recall anyone in the past requesting even quicker skillgain than we already have.

:P

(In all fairness, I interpreted the messages from the developers as meaning quicker skillgain too.)