Sign in to follow this  
DariusWolfe

Food consumption while logged out

Hey all, new player, only 38 hours in-game (and probably some of that is time spent AFK dealing with a kid or something) I've been getting some help over on the WU Reddit, and I've done a lot of digging around in forum posts and wurmpedia, so I think I've got the basics down, and I'm well on my way toward mastering other things; I've got a small/medium house, a blacksmithy, a small-but-growing garden of veggies and cotton, and a mine with salt and LQ iron, so I feel I'm pretty established.

Since I started playing, I have been playing on a off-line server, just by myself. Usually whenever I am done playing, I turn the server off. Lately, I've been experimenting with leaving the server on, so that things like crops would continue to grow. My understanding is that this is normally how you would play, with a persistent server and people logging in whenever they have time to play. However, I've noticed something rather dismaying when I do this; Namely, that if I log off for even a couple hours, I come back and my food need has dropped significantly. At this point, I'm afraid to see what would happen if I were to log out for a full day; I'd probably be starving when I returned.

I can't help but feel that this is not how it should be. Being forced to play throughout the day, everyday, or be starving every single time you login. For instance, I logged out for no more then 30 minutes, and lost 9% food. I logged out for a few hours after that, still leaving the server on, and I'd gone through several fasting cycles, and my nutrition was down to the low teens. This hardly seems sustainable.

So my question is this: Does this look right, or is something hinky with my client/server setup? If this is correct, how the hell do you deal with this?

You do not normally lose nutrition on your character while logged out.

Is it possible your character isn't actually disconnecting from the server and is just standing around? 

I considered that as a possibility, but I don't know how I would check, or what I would do to fix it.

I did notice when I used "reallyquit" that I saw a disconnect message in the server console that I didn't see when I quit using the GUI, but when I checked back, I was still losing food doing it that way, as well.

What is the exact process you use when you say you are "using the GUI" to quit the game? Is it possible that you are simply minimizing the window? 

You could try using a bed to log off, to guarantee you are really logging off. Any time you quit the game properly you should be getting the "Are You Sure?" dialogue where you answer yes / no to confirm. 

As said, you do not lose any nutrition when you are not logged in, so it is not really clear what is happening. Using a bed to exit the game would be one way to guarantee you are logging out properly.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I click Esc to open the in-game menu, then click Quit, and confirm the "are you sure?" (or other random text) dialogue.

Someone over on Reddit suggested I use /lotime. I noticed when I did it immediately after logging in, outside of my deed, it was 300 seconds. Seems normal. 

When I did it again, shortly before logging off (after about an hour or so of gameplay) on my deed, in my house, it was much higher; something like 241000 seconds. 

I don't have a bed yet; I need one more sheet, so I'm waiting on my next cotton harvest to finish it up.