Sign in to follow this  
Worksock

Remove the anti-macro mechanic for tracking and prospecting

hello

idk why these two skills have this mechanic but it makes them incredibly frustrating to grind

basically have to move tile every minute or you stop getting ticks

thx

3 hours ago, Worksock said:

hello

idk why these two skills have this mechanic but it makes them incredibly frustrating to grind

thx

So it is easier for you to use macros? What's the problem with moving 1 tile per minute??

• Like 2

Just now, Sklo:D said:

So it is easier for you to use macros? What's the problem with moving 1 tile per minute??

Because the mechanic doesn't make sense?

I can sit and grind any other skill without constantly moving around

When grinding these two skills though I need to constantly move around and also keep track of what tiles i've already been on, which just makes the whole grind annoying

I think the difference to other skills is that they have some material investment that inherently puts a stop to any macro eventually. You could say the same for prospecting because it damages the pickaxes, but let's be real, a decent pickaxe won't be worn out in a long time.

Edited by Flubb

Before you ask for a change think about all the ways the devs can change it.

Prospecting is one of the easiest and fastest skills to level up.

Removing the movement check could result in devs creating a daily skill gain cap in order to balance it out with other skills.

I like prospecting the way it is now , with a q1 pickaxe ,prospect a few times then move , repeat several times, repair, gain many levels per day.

Please do not change.

• Like 1

for prospecting, I don't know what you're on about.

I went from 45 to 60 in 1 day with a lq pickaxe with an 83 Coc and sleep bonus.  I only had to cycle back and forth via a few tiles in  a small area.  I think its working just fine.

The other possibility is to have limits like meditation or prayer.  no thank you.

10 hours ago, Worksock said:

hello

thx

Your index finger must be busted from all that moving around.

Someone complains about having to use effort to grind possibly the easiest skill to grind in the game.

I have seen it all.

fyi you don't have to move a full tile, just any movement at all stops it so you can just tap any wasd and stay on the same tile

i laugh at anyone that thinks this stops a macro, it just makes it annoying for people that play legit

• Like 5

+1

it is just a mechanic that might have worked a little bit ages ago but its no longer up to date and nowadays its just pure annoyance for legit players.

same as pretty much any current game mechanic to prevent macroing and similar.

starting from fatigue, going over the mentioned mechanic this thread is about and ending at GMs that macro-check teleport you around with a sentence that is so tiny you would never notice it when you're playing with the no_world_render setting if you wouldn't have experienced it before and set up a wurm assistant trigger with a world war 2 bomber siren sound...

On 29/10/2017 at 6:55 AM, Flubb said:

I think the difference to other skills is that they have some material investment that inherently puts a stop any macro eventually. You could say the same for prospecting because it damages the pickaxes, but let's be real, a decent pickaxe won't be worn out in a long time.

So can we nerf fishing too? I think we should move 11 tiles away after catching 5 fish.

+1 to buffing just prospect, but +1 for more analysing. The current system is to prevent a child from macroing (no offense to youngies) ._. anybody past that would be able to make a macro that allows you to move every so often to prospect and then move back, As MrGary said.

1 hour ago, Rathgar said:

(and I would keep an eye on OP for unnatended macroing)

lol

+1 the system doesn't even work, majority of the time i can go 10-15 minutes without moving and i'll get skill gains 90%+ of attempts and then it'll decide i'll have to tap w every action and change tile every minute to prevent no skill, having to watch your skill tick up so you don't waste sb on the system deciding it wants you to move is retarded. Luckily the skill goes up so fast you just gotta get drinks and endure it for a night and you're done.

Edited by shakys
Moderation Edit

2 hours ago, Yiraia said:

So can we nerf fishing too? I think we should move 11 tiles away after catching 5 fish.

Inventory would fill up, a simple macro (Say: An timed repeated action) would still be stopped by that limit, and that's all these mechanisms seemingly try to put to a halt eventually. Of course, it doesn't stop "proper" botting, but the same applies for tracking and prospecting as others have already pointed out.

Perhaps saying it tries to stop them is giving it too much credit, it's an obstacle at best. And I can agree with the sentiment that it's a clunky one that affects legitimate grinders aswell, I was mainly responding with some conjecture to OPs question why these 2 skills specifically have these hamfisted barriers.

Edited by Flubb