Sign in to follow this  
ellisonch

intermittent "lag" on single player dedicated server

I recently started playing Wurm Unlimited using a local dedicated server.  I play alone, with default settings, and from the beginning I've been getting intermittent "lags".  Basically I can keep moving, but the game will stop registering actions for up to a minute.  Right-clicking something will just say "refreshing".  Sometimes it will go away after just a few seconds, sometimes it takes a whole minute, but eventually whatever is happening finishes and it starts registering commands again.

I'm seeing messages in the wurm.log.0 log like 

Elapsed time (46113ms) for this loop was more than 1 second so adding it to the lag count, which is now: 1222

I'm getting about 400 of those messages per hour, though most for just 1 or 2 seconds.  I just have to sit and wait until it comes back.

Since I play alone and I just started, there aren't huge piles of stuff sitting around.  I'm connecting to my own computer, so it isn't real latency.  Something is happening on the server that is making it pause.  My computer is decent---I run a dedicated Ark server that I play locally with no problem.

Are there any settings I can set to help give the server more resources or something?  I am really enjoying the game, but these hitches are driving me crazy.

Please provide more logs, and some information like what OS are you using and so on.

20 minutes ago, Sklo:D said:

Please provide more logs, and some information like what OS are you using and so on.

Sure, what are you looking for exactly?

It's mostly thousands of lines of 

Oct 28, 2017 4:36:40 AM com.wurmonline.server.Server run
INFO: Elapsed time (7736ms) for this loop was more than 1 second so adding it to the lag count, which is now: 1137

With the occasional 

player count: 1
bytes in: 22740 bytes out: 77263 total in: 341207 total out: 2082227
Server uptime: 3300 seconds. Unanswered questions:0
Oct 23, 2017 12:53:57 AM com.wurmonline.server.creatures.Communicator logWarn
WARNING: PlayerName last counts=10000
Oct 23, 2017 12:55:14 AM com.wurmonline.server.statistics.Statistics run
INFO: current mem in use: 878M free mem: 575M Max mem: 2010M

I'm running windows 7.

17 minutes ago, ellisonch said:

Sure, what are you looking for exactly?

Can you upload your wurm.log.0 to some site, I guess that would be the easiest way to see what could be wrong.

Have you got any mods running on your server?

Very strange problem indeed.

Try to use this wurm.ini file instead: https://pastebin.com/HwmrRnSx

It should improve performance a bit, I use this myself.

Also try to run a Creative server instance for testing purposes, check if lags are happening on creative server too.

On 10/28/2017 at 3:45 PM, Sklo:D said:

Very strange problem indeed.

Try to use this wurm.ini file instead: https://pastebin.com/HwmrRnSx

It should improve performance a bit, I use this myself.

Also try to run a Creative server instance for testing purposes, check if lags are happening on creative server too.

It seems that, other than Trello stuff, the only significant change in your .ini vs the default .ini is you have USE_SCHEDULED_EXECUTOR_TO_UPDATE_CREATURE_POSITION_IN_DATABASE set to false.  This is kind of weird, because another thread recommends setting it to true, and in that thread you said setting it to true helped "quite much".  Yet now you have it set to false, and otherwise have default settings.

Has anyone else run into this problem?  I continue to get regular 5s-60s pauses.  Has anyone developed a way to actually profile the server to figure out where it's spending its time (or do the developers read this board and care to advise?)

Okay I decided to go ahead and profile the server while it's running.  I'm using NetBeans IDE 8.2 to do the profiling.

The thing that's taking up the most CPU, as well as being correlated in time with my lags (in game and in the wurm.log.0 file) is 

com.wurmonline.server.Players.printStats()

which is taking up something like 60% of all CPU used by the server.  This is actually way more than all the Polling stuff that actually updates the game.  This method would also jump up many cpu seconds right after a pause, so I believe this is it.

Is there any way to disable writing these stats to the disk to see if this fixes the problem?  What do the stats do?  Why would they be slow?  Devs, please?

I've gone ahead and uploaded a screenshot of the profile of the main loop here: LDQcBFS.png

Edited by ellisonch
corrections

I installed RamDisk and made a small ram disk, then pointed my wurm.ini to put the "web" stuff on that drive like so:

WEB_PATH=h:\\

I'm no longer getting any hangs (at all!) and everything is as smooth as butter.  My profile looks like this:

uYdrltP.png

Notice how printStats() is no longer dominant.

It would be much better to simply tell wurm not to generate the WEB_PATH files, because I don't need them, but this works.

Edited by ellisonch
hadn't finished writing post

Sounds like some permission problems or dying hard drive