Sign in to follow this  
Belfesar

Constantly missing when fighting.

2 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:

After reading volume 1 you must skip to volume 7 and then to volume 3.  Cause RNG.  Wogic.

Oh for sure the book would have to make no sense. In fact for it to be just like Wurm's Combat Handler and Combat Engine we would need two seperate book series that contradict each other constantly and have completely redundant chapters about things that exist but don't do anything.

Edited by Nadroj
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Nadroj said:

"Making sense of combat in wurm" would be a 10 volume series xD

And?  Everything in Wurm is long and grindy and slightly nuts.  Write the volumes and ensure your name lives on forever in the hearts of all noobie combatants!

On 10/29/2017 at 3:52 AM, Eobersig said:

All other things equal fighting on a cart will give you a de-buff roughly equivalent to -10 fighting skill.

Seriously?  Why?  Why should this be?  This just sounds so counter intuitive to me and completely opposite of what it should be.  Is this some anti-pvp-advantage mechanic maybe, that doesn't belong on pve?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Amadee said:

Seriously?  Why?  Why should this be?  This just sounds so counter intuitive to me and completely opposite of what it should be.  Is this some anti-pvp-advantage mechanic maybe, that doesn't belong on pve?

It's not as simple as -10fs but commanding or being passenger in most vehicles is a pretty hefty nerf to your combat abilities. It doesn't seem counter-intuative to me at all, i personally think i would struggle to control driving a horse cart while fighting a monster. The debuffs are different for all vehicles and seats on the vehicles but they basically nerf your weaponskill.

Edited by Nadroj

9 minutes ago, Nadroj said:

i personally think i would struggle to control driving a horse cart while fighting a monster

But how is this different from riding a horse then?  Would it not be the same struggle, maybe more of a struggle, to control a horse in battle?  Is there a debuff for riding a horse in battle too?  Isn't there supposed to be a height advantage? Still seems counter intuitive to me.  *shrugs*

28 minutes ago, Amadee said:

Isn't there supposed to be a height advantage?

There is a height advantage, your footing. On a cart you automatically have good footing, on foot or on horse you don't get it automatically but have to position yourself so that you get it. Watch the boot symbol in manual fight window.

Thus the cart's advantage here is that you get the good footing automatically, but you can have the same advantage on foot or on horse by positioning yourself so that you fight from higher terrain.

The issue and trade-off is that good footing is good for CR while seating in vehicles lowers weaponskill. So you'll have a slightly higher chance to hit but your attacks will be slower and you'll parry less. Horses on the other hand offer the height advantage without the automatic good footing and there is no nerf to weaponskill. Basically if you stand on flat ground using a horse is a massive advantage while using a cart is basically only handy if you're fighting on a slope and even then you have a nerf elsewhere.

Height advantage at most is about a +10% to you and -10% to enemy CR so it can be a powerful advantage, especially when you consider that bad footing can nerf your CR by huge amounts as much as 70 or 80% if you're on a big slope. The advantage for height maxes out at about 20 slope too, no need for giant dirtwalls to fight from.

Animals can't get bad footing so basically if a creature is stood on a dirtwall and you stand under it you'll have at most a 20% disadvantage, while if you got onto the slope and messed your footing up you would be in far more trouble. Carts are handy for giving you that flat footing and little else.

Edited by Nadroj

Carts are poor choice for hunting, but if you want the cargo capacity from the stuff you slaying they are the best choice, but you will be nerfing your kill ratios/hour a fair bit, but you are already doing that if you are taking the time to butcher/bury.

When I go on a slaying spree the horse is the best choice. 8)

6 hours ago, Nadroj said:

It's not as simple as -10fs but commanding or being passenger in most vehicles is a pretty hefty nerf to your combat abilities. It doesn't seem counter-intuative to me at all, i personally think i would struggle to control driving a horse cart while fighting a monster. The debuffs are different for all vehicles and seats on the vehicles but they basically nerf your weaponskill.

It's kind of dumb, especially with embarking bug still around in another form. I've lost count how many times I disconnect and reconnect due to embarking 2.0. I use my supreme cart with supreme horses because I like taking corpses or butchered back with me when I hunt. It's kind of hard to do that on a horse, clearing inventory every time becomes a chore honestly.

Can't fix embarking devs? Make other QoL changes. I think cart should not lower CR at all but you should still get a buff when on a horse.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I put aside my rare huge axe with 102 LT and am using a sickle with nm and lower lt with a rare shield. My fighting has improved immensely, with very small gain in fs increase and lower weapon skill. It's rare I have to retreat and heal when engaging a troll, but if I get out my huge axe I always have to..

3 minutes ago, Niki said:

It's kind of dumb, especially with embarking bug still around in another form. I've lost count how many times I disconnect and reconnect due to embarking 2.0. I use my supreme cart with supreme horses because I like taking corpses or butchered back with me when I hunt. It's kind of hard to do that on a horse, clearing inventory every time becomes a chore honestly.

Can't fix embarking devs? Make other QoL changes. I think cart should not lower CR at all but you should still get a buff when on a horse.

Thanks.

I literally just explained that carts do not lower CR.

1 minute ago, ChampagneDragon said:

I put aside my rare huge axe with 102 LT and am using a sickle with nm and lower lt with a rare shield. My fighting has improved immensely, with very small gain in fs increase and lower weapon skill. It's rare I have to retreat and heal when engaging a troll, but if I get out my huge axe I always have to..

This is a common issue with players on freedom who rely almost entirely on 2h weapons. These weapons sacrifice your safety and anyone expecting to be competent in combat simply MUST train up at least one shield skill.

• Like 3

Interesting. I constantly fight from cart and have noticed a lot of missing with most of the 2Her's. (I actually train multiple. I'm 41 skill on 2Her Sword, Large Maul, Huge Axe...and then I'm also 32 shortsword, 38 longsword. Just swapped to large wooden shield 13ish skill, but I have 30+ large metal shield skill with an overall 33 shield skill) I have noticed the stances definitely tweak some things too. I thought it was mainly because of the main weapon skill, but it has to be either way more simplistic, or more complex than that...I'm not sure how they are doing the rolls, but the combat in this game is atrocious. Reminds me of playing Runescape...except I could take on dragons over there, and over here they'd just eat me because of how wonky this combat system is/how overpowered they are here. I parry/block like mad with my 55 defensive vs lowbie mobs (Cats, wolves, even younger spiders now)...barely even stick em with any dmg in return. Swap to normal, and you're poking holes in them like crazy, and occasionally blocking/parrying too. Aggressive, you certainly poke them real fast, but you start making mistakes/taking hits more often...hence fast swing for 2Hers...but miss miss miss means you're wasting the effort...

PC Supreme Horse

I have no troubles hitting anything with my wrecking bar stance, except for Tulemes, grrr.

Edited by JakeRivers
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

PC Supreme Horse

All the moneys. ;)

Yep, having similar problems. My toons weild either two-handed swords or longsword.

On PVE above a certain fighting skill set level you can safely go for speedhunting with a 2H LT weapon - unless you run into a mine with a fari bunch of hungry trolls (but that will make your fighter sweat even if using a weapon/shield combo anyway).

If you want to kill fast & effective and also need the cadavers go out to the hunting field on a wagon, unhitch your riding horse (or pull with you from home), deflate a big bunch of mobs and collect the meat you just minced riding the wagon.

Ive noticed a huge differance with fighting with my huge axe. Besides the constant missing there seems to be a drop in damage output. But the biggest issue is constant missing. As it stands  right now there is no point to use anything but swords since the damage is delt much faster and the parry chance is high.

I've been out hunting yesterday with my huge axe, basically every mob below scorp is 2 hits / 10 secs. I see no problem with huge axe... and huge axe skill is 80 yet.

my huge axe when I use it goes something like this, ooo bear, miss, whack, RIP, working as intended

• Like 2

I've been training weapons to 70 skill.  Swords completed.  Currently on axes, not noticing anything odd myself.  Everything I target dies, bodies everywhere.  I'm happy with the current mechanics as they are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nomadikhan said:

I've been training weapons to 70 skill.  Swords completed.  Currently on axes, not noticing anything odd myself.  Everything I target dies, bodies everywhere.  I'm happy with the current mechanics as they are.

What stance are you using? I use aggressive  and it takes around 3-4 minutes to kill a troll with my huge axe.

As I said months ago in the troll killing thread made by Dragonhead, huge axe+aggresive+troll=dead in 3 hits. Under 1 min on average. And to this date nothing has changed that I have noticed.

7 hours ago, JudusX said:

What stance are you using? I use aggressive  and it takes around 3-4 minutes to kill a troll with my huge axe.

There's always focusing up if your character isn't all that strong.

3 hours ago, Delacroix said:

There's always focusing up if your character isn't all that strong.

full focus makes no difference.