Sign in to follow this  
Grumpysmith

Priest / Religion overhaul

so I'm not paying attention as usual and want to skill my priest in soul depth.  I choose papyrus making.  silly me wax sealing kits are for kids not priest.

Still no word, the magic folks seem to have all given up hope.

On 4/12/2018 at 10:57 PM, rapidron said:

so I'm not paying attention as usual and want to skill my priest in soul depth.  I choose papyrus making.  silly me wax sealing kits are for kids not priest.

soul depth has no impact on casting

however soul depth does have an impact on attaching runes

I hope that @Sindusk is successful in achieving the "Sisyphean " task that he has set out in his post today.  As a result of that post I have sat and read through these posts and thought it appropriate to bump this thread again.

A couple of thoughts I had re-reading the thread are:

1. I liked the idea of using favor gems instead of or in addition to linking for high favor casts. To this I would add the use of Karma for casting similar to the way sorcerers use Karma.  This would make linking the most efficient way to do these casts, but would also add the ability for single casts of high favor casts for the lone priest.  I think that the Global Casts costing 300 favor should be kept as linking only. The reason is that these casts are "community" casts in my opinion and the "community" should have a say in when they are cast.

2. I think that all priests should be able to make a basic altar without being penalized.  Possibly a stone altar without the metal bowl.  Combine some rock shards or log, use chisel/carving knife to make in a single action.  It could be shaped like some of the ancient altars with a chiseled bowl for offerings.  Can't be imp'd or repaired, decays rapidly. Doesn't contribute to domain calculations, just lets priest pray and sacrifice.  I thought there used to be a way of using a blessed bowl with a sacrificial knife to sacrifice animals, not sure if that is a thing anymore or not.

3. I still think that the Lore of Wurm needs to be revisited.  The Lore is the glue that holds the reasons for the actions of the Gods and their followers together and why they fight for dominion. However, I don't want that to get in the way of fixing priests and religion.

4. I agree that there should be a bright line dividing WL and BL spells.  For example Rebirth is a Dark Art and should not be available to WL as it is incompatible with WL philosophies.

5. With the advent of all priests being able to use chopped corn, liblia should be able to farm and harvest.  Libila simply can't compete on the amount of favor that can be gained by saccing corn, with saccing of butchered items based on time actively spent generating the materials for saccing.

6. I still believe that player gods should not be full gods but remain as an "Empowered Demi-God" with powers not part of its Parent God's list.  Priests of x-faith could be a disciple of this "Empowered Demi-God" and a follower priest of the Parent God.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpysmith said:

I hope that @Sindusk is successful in achieving the "Sisyphean " task that he has set out in his post today.  As a result of that post I have sat and read through these posts and thought it appropriate to bump this thread again.

2. I think that all priests should be able to make a basic altar without being penalized.  Possibly a stone altar without the metal bowl.  Combine some rock shards or log, use chisel/carving knife to make in a single action.  It could be shaped like some of the ancient altars with a chiseled bowl for offerings.  Can't be imp'd or repaired, decays rapidly. Doesn't contribute to domain calculations, just lets priest pray and sacrifice.  I thought there used to be a way of using a blessed bowl with a sacrificial knife to sacrifice animals, not sure if that is a thing anymore or not.

3. I still think that the Lore of Wurm needs to be revisited.  The Lore is the glue that holds the reasons for the actions of the Gods and their followers together and why they fight for dominion. However, I don't want that to get in the way of fixing priests and religion.

4. I agree that there should be a bright line dividing WL and BL spells.  For example Rebirth is a Dark Art and should not be available to WL as it is incompatible with WL philosophies.

6. I still believe that player gods should not be full gods but remain as an "Empowered Demi-God" with powers not part of its Parent God's list.  Priests of x-faith could be a disciple of this "Empowered Demi-God" and a follower priest of the Parent God.

YES. But I am not quite sure where the updates fit especially the removal of player gods as gods, all servers? Only PVP? Only Epic?

I always thought player gods should exist in the halls of lore, but not necessarily be actual gods with actual spells. Just super powered characters like Champions but a little better because magic.

1 hour ago, FranktheTank said:

YES. But I am not quite sure where the updates fit especially the removal of player gods as gods, all servers? Only PVP? Only Epic?

I always thought player gods should exist in the halls of lore, but not necessarily be actual gods with actual spells. Just super powered characters like Champions but a little better because magic.

true.. we do need to make a decision ascension and just stick to it.. final..i think the orginal idea of wl vs bl was in balance.. and now with pg's we have made everything out of whack.. just my thoughts.. and just to throw pvp a bone instead of fixing pvp; a bandaid solution.. 

we should even consider that new characters have no priest restrictions.. that would interest alot of players to prem...

I'll be honest, I have no idea how I missed this thread before. I'm glad it got bumped. Instead of just taking the recent posts, I decided to read through the whole thing and respond to everything I can. Keep in mind that some details are not being shared because work is still being done. I know you're all eager for full details, but it'll have to wait until after the patch this week and into the few weeks after that. Just have some patience! With that out of the way, I'm going to answer a couple of posts that I felt absolutely deserve an answer after all this time.

On 10/27/2017 at 3:49 PM, Grumpysmith said:

Congrats on the announcement of the update coming on Nov. 2nd.   Along with that announcement it was also stated that the Priest / religion situation would be looked at with an eye towards balancing etc.  I thought that it might be good to start a thread to discuss what players would like to see looked at.  I know that there are numerous threads, but thought that maybe one thread of things to be looked at might be beneficial.

My areas of concern are: 

1. PvP / aggressive casts should have some form of visual or text based indicators of the strength of the cast.  Currently all you get is a succeed or fail notification.  Some casts have visuals Fungus trap or Ice pillar are examples of that.  Some casts like Drain Health or Fireheart  you can see the targets health bars move.  But Tentacles and Pain Rain visuals seem to be completely missing or sporadic and no indication of the strength of the cast.  If I hit something with a maul there are text based notification of the damage I've done, not so with casts.
  2. Phantasms
    • No indication of power of the cast,
    • Target should not be able to click "No Target" to escape the cast,
    • The illusion should be visible to both the target and the caster.  Currently visible only to the target, having it visible to the caster also, would allow the caster to attempt to steer the opponent to keep it in range of the phantom.
  3. Scorn of Libila needs to be balanced better with Light of Fo
  4. Rotting Touch and Venom need to tick more often then once every ten minutes.  Both are very quickly healed with one Light of Fo cast.  Granted I'm not a pvp'er, but from what I can tell neither of those casts is particularly useful, beyond the immediate damage of the weapon hit.
  5. With the advent of all of the player gods, linking between Priests as become almost impossible.  This is especially true with the low populations we have seen in the past couple of years.  This may change if we get a large influx of players, but I think there should be some form of linking between Priests who share the same spells.
  1. PvP and offensive spells are something that have bothered me for a while with their lack of clarity. It's even obnoxious for slayings when you're a healer and start channeling a Light of Fo, only to have all your wounds healed by someone else's a couple seconds before you finish the cast. With that in mind, I've added a new way to display information from these spells. After the update, offensive spells (like Drain Health and Fire Heart) will show an on-screen message (the pop-up kind) showing that someone is attempting to cast something, as well as another when they complete the cast. This should dramatically help with clarity in regards to those spells.
  2. Can't really comment on this one right now. Specific spell changes will be revealed later.
  3. Agreed but, again, can't really comment right now.
  4. My personal opinion is that the poison and infection mechanics probably need to be looked at in a broader sense beyond just these two spells. But again, can't really comment on their current changes.
  5. Linking was something I looked at really early. Trying to get priests together to cast a Rite these days, even disregarding their other problems, is really difficult. This is being addressed in the priest rework.
On 10/28/2017 at 1:39 PM, Etherdrifter said:

I think, when it comes to priests, a solid question should be answered.

Do we want them to be playable as mains, or do we want them to remain as alts?

A lot of support lies in the latter (wurmians hate having to rely on others, both crafters and priests), though gameplay-wise the former makes better sense.  The following thoughts are put forward in support of the former (priests as mains), so beware that they may not be as popular as some:

• Player gods need a serious rethink, the notion of relegating them to "saints" or some other minor role would promote balance without needing to rethink all spells.  Otherwise you might as well remove most of the elder gods now because the RNG will always break whatever balance you enforce ;)
  • Grind faith, grind channel, master priest.  That's pretty much it, the role is very narrow in its main capability, extending it outwards a bit, maybe having channeling be the parent skill to enchanting (casting spells on items), abjuration (casting defensive/healing spells) and evokation (casting offensive spells) might diversify the role a little and encourage the creation of new spells to fill the training gaps.  Of course, this is not something that would be encouraged under "priests as alts" as it would make creating an effective genesis bot much more difficult.
  • Creation skillgrind; this is quite painful and really could use some form of better balance.  I challenge anyone here to level stone cutting or jewellery smithing via creation only from 1-50.
  • Alchemy really should be the province of all priests, not just fo priests.  It's such a basic skill with 0 economic impact.
  • Free alts; if I want to do something as a priest I just log in a free alt.  It doesn't encourage me to buy or use other player services, nor to prem that alt.  Extending priests to the capabilities of free players would provide a solid QoL boost without impacting any markets (unless QL20 tools are worth a lot now).

The real answer to the question is somewhere in the middle. There should be an opportunity to play priests, but it'll be a different playstyle than a non-priest. I guess the real take on it would be something like choosing a class in another game. You can choose to play the ninja or the wizard. If you play the wizard, you're not going to be able to sneak and dash around, but you'll be able to cast spells. If you play the ninja, you're not going to be able to cast spells, but you can still sneak and dash around. It's not as clear-cut as that, obviously, since there's so many systems tied into each other in Wurm, but I think it's about as accurate as I can paint the picture.

• Player gods are a heavy focus of the priest rework. The issues with them being incredibly meta and the base gods having very few to no advantages over them has been identified and tackled. However, I'm not going to speak too much more into that topic, as it's a discussion for another day.
  • The existing channeling skill system is heavily ingrained in current priest mechanics. While it'd be really cool to see subgroups implemented such as enchanting, abjuration, etc. - the reality is that doing so causes a headache. Would the players with 90 channeling have 90 in all of those categories? Would the skills be easier to grind than channeling? If they're split up into groups, wouldn't some categories be naturally easier to grind due to some of their spells being lower favor cost? That's not to say it'll never happen, but it's not part of the update.
  • Can't comment on the creation skill grind.
  • Alchemy restriction is being reviewed in the priest overhaul coming up.
  • Can't comment on the final point either.
On 10/30/2017 at 9:32 PM, Retrograde said:

Just to clarify, as I feel some have gotten the wrong idea here:

Our focus on this is not to change the foundation mechanics of priests, but rather balancing of spells, passive abilities and how they all work together,

A major part of our focus will be addressing player gods and the random generation of spells leading to combinations that are overpowered, and also looking at spell sets of the original gods as each spell individually to see if it's balanced properly.

While ideas such as the ones presented in here are interesting, and may be included in later discussions, in this thread we're looking for more issues with individual things being unbalanced by themselves or in combination with other spells or abilities. 

This statement remains true to the priest rework coming. We're not changing the role of priests entirely, but improving them in their current niche.

On 10/31/2017 at 5:21 PM, Talor said:

Refresh

Refresh can only be cast on players with alignment acceptable to the priest casting. With player

gods, priests cannot cast refresh on players from their own kingdom if they follow the 'wrong'

religion.

• Change alignment check into a kingdom check, so priests can cast on anyone from their kingdom.

Oakshell

A horse with an oakshell cast has higher damage resistance than a barding, and there is no speed

penalty.

• Reduce the armour modifier for oakshell by 10%

Direct damage spells

The direct damage spells (rotting gut, worm brains, fire heart, ice shard) are not well balanced in

relation to each other. Rotting gut wounds always hit the torso, and worm brains always hits the

head, so these wounds always stack. Worm brains does around double the damage of any other direct

damage spell, it does not have any spell resistance effect, and it's internal wounds cannot be healed

using cotton. Rotting gut's infection wounds are more likely to become worse with healing ticks.

So, rotting gut and worm brains are more powerful. This is partly balanced by longer cast timers and

higher favour costs. But a large supply of vesseled gems eliminates the drawback of high favour

costs, and the spell resistances reduce the benefit of spell-spamming with short cast timers.

• Add a spell resistance effect to worm brains
  • Bring the cast timers of fireheart and shard of ice to 15 seconds
  • Increase damage of fireheart and shard of ice by 10%

Damage pillar spells

Fungus trap is the highest damage pillar. It inflicts poison wounds that cannot be healed using

cotton and that have a chance to instantly kill the player on healing ticks. Tentacles is the second

highest damage and since it has no animation it is less obvious. Fire pillar and ice pillar are

significantly weaker.

• Reduce damage of fungus trap wounds by 10%
  • Increase damage of fire pillar and ice pillar wounds by 10%
  • Add an animation for the tentacles area effect

Spell combinations for player gods

The original gods break some of these 'rules', but that can be the advantage of the original four.

• Maximum of 2 direct damage spells: rotting gut, worm brains, fire heart, ice shard
  • Maximum of 1 of the big healing spells: heal, light of fo, scorn of libila
  • Maximum of 1 of the taming spells: dominate, rebirth, charm
  • Maximum of 1 of the pillar spells: fungus trap, ice pillar, fire pillar, tentacles
  • Didn't notice that about Refresh. I'll look into that one.
  • Can't comment on spell specifics.
  • All direct damage spells are being rebalanced. Can't comment on specifics.
  • Pillars are also being adjusted, and not just number changes. Can't comment on specifics.
On 11/1/2017 at 3:55 AM, Alexgopen said:

Smeagain priests are hands down the best PvP priests.

They get the great PvP mag passives such as 25% damage and res stone.

They get the best defensive PvP spells (oakshell for horses, light of fo for group healing, heal for boatfight healing)

They get TWO pillar spells to use for offensive group AOE damage.

Nothing else comes close and pretty much all PvP priests are smeagain now. We used to think Nathan was OP, and that was the meta for awhile, but wow smeagain spellset is waaaaay more imbalanced than we thought possible.

If you want balanced priests in PvP, then I think you have to manually balance the spells rather than leaving them to be randomly generated.

Idk how many would agree with this, but I think player gods should be removed from PvP, or perhaps just have their PvP spells removed, leaving their enchants.  I've had friends ask if player gods are removed yet, and saying they would only come back if player gods are removed.

They really upset the balance in PvP 

Agreed, Smeagain priests are heavily favored in the current meta. This might change after the update. Can't go into specifics.

On 11/1/2017 at 10:46 AM, Etherdrifter said:

I suspect the best option (at the moment) would be to remove player gods entirely and allow existing player god priests a free convert.

Once that has been done, focus on balancing the existing gods (both for PvP and PvE).  Once you have that balance established, then it might be possible to balance player gods (in some way).

If you want to keep player gods, consider rendering them as some kind of saint (as suggested here).

Player gods are going to stay. That's not to say the base gods are being ignored.

On 11/1/2017 at 11:48 AM, As_I_Decay said:

I assume the answer is yes, but I would just like some clarification:

Is CC is going to offer religion conversions (with faith intact) for priests who's spell set may be affected by changes? 

If the spell list changes significantly, the priests will be given a full faith switch. More details on that in the future.

On 11/3/2017 at 6:46 AM, Etherdrifter said:

*Cheap unworthy snipe removed*

Heal

This used to remove disease, a functionality that was quite useful at large events such as impalongs and rifts.  Could we get this back please?

Wild Growth

The unpredictable radius makes casting it quite destructive to groves unless said grove is fully pruned and containg withered.  Some way of choosing if you want to remove withered trees or cycle them to young would be really helpful

Lurker in the Woods

There has been widespread agreemeent that this spell has little to no real use at the moment; buffing it to be able to track specific (non-unique) creatures over a longer distance might make it much more popular

Morning Fog

This spell doesn't really add anything to the game as it stands; allowing it to be cast on a container to create a small amount (0.25kg) of water might be a nice way to go.

Bear Paws

To my knowledge this just increases your unarmed damage output; I assume it was aimed at being paired with oakshell to allow folks to wander around with no weapons/armour.  The trouble is that the buff it gives it just too insignificant to be of any use, this might be better as a "cast on pet" kind of spell (removes the cr nerf of said pet as well as providing a damage boost?)

Ward

This spell has 0 use in PvE (has no effect anywhere).  Allowing it to be cast as a buff that mimics the fo animal immunity would make it much more useful for community priests.

Holy Crop

The effects of this spell are really pointless at the moment; buffing it in some way to also give a bonus to followers (maybe full food/water/fccp?) and domain (flower growth?) would at least ensure it gets cast occasionally.

Venom

No-one ever uses venom; there is just no point in doing so since LT or Flame/Frostbrand are far superior.  Buffing poison (in a PvE setting) would definitely be a good place to start when fixing this spell (also dropping favour cost to 60!).

Can't really comment on any of the changes here until later, but I will say that the upcoming changes should address some of these concerns.

On 11/6/2017 at 7:13 PM, Rocklobstar said:

Rather round-about way of saying "Were going to nerf smeagain (possibly vyn) to the ground, and slightly buff others"...

Being a priest already has such gigantic drawbacks..how many priest's will we need now for full spell coverage? 4? 6? how many batteries will those need?

Paying 8 (16 with battery) Euros per month for access to one or two good spells?

Nerf is the wrong word. Change is the correct one.

8 hours ago, Grumpysmith said:

1. I liked the idea of using favor gems instead of or in addition to linking for high favor casts. To this I would add the use of Karma for casting similar to the way sorcerers use Karma.  This would make linking the most efficient way to do these casts, but would also add the ability for single casts of high favor casts for the lone priest.  I think that the Global Casts costing 300 favor should be kept as linking only. The reason is that these casts are "community" casts in my opinion and the "community" should have a say in when they are cast.

5. With the advent of all priests being able to use chopped corn, liblia should be able to farm and harvest.  Libila simply can't compete on the amount of favor that can be gained by saccing corn, with saccing of butchered items based on time actively spent generating the materials for saccing.

Thanks for the kind words. I've been working on it for weeks and it's actually closer to completion than you might think. However, making sure everyone is happy with the changes is yet another ballgame. I'm not delusional enough to say that everything is going to go smoothly, but I appreciate the support and will do my best. I'll answer what I can.

1. Linking is going to be changed around a bit. I'm not going to dive too much into detail, but rest assured that it's an issue that I've spent time working on a resolution for.
  2. Agreed, priests should be able to make an altar. Just seems silly that they can't.
  3. I can't really comment on the lore. It's not really in the scope of the work I'm doing.
  4. Yes, that's an issue I discovered as well. It felt really weird when a WL god could cast Fungus. Just didn't make sense.
  5. There's a clarity QoL coming in the update this week regarding sacrificing. I hear your concerns though.
  6. Can't comment on what's happening to demigods.
  • Like 7

@Sindusk - Thank you for your post, I will patiently wait for your work to be revealed.

On 10/28/2017 at 1:27 AM, whykillme said:

Perhaps for the linking priest part, you can use up half the favor of the priest that is of a different god. Making it not OP but still useful, even in PVP Situation where the main priest could use some favor from other priests, while the other priests remain to have enough favor to do their own stuff.

Half being = 100 faith so used up to 50 maximum, not half of current favor.

Beautiful idea. Although I would change that to consume 2 favor per 1 used by linkee but otherwise remain the same. This would mean that 100 faith priest can link to other god priests in order to provide 45 more favor for the cost of 90 favor available from the linker. This would open the the world of 120 power casts to casting priests at 75 or higher faith with a cost on top of the multigod linking.

Edit: My point about "75 faith priest opening to the option of 120 power casting" means that for those oldies who have 100 faith Vyn's around wanting to start LT business, this means the Nacho/Fo/Whatever alt they would add to arsenal would "only" need to reach 75 faith.

Edited by Raybarg

With the priest overhaul, priests will be able to link with other priests of a different deity under certain conditions, and 120 favor cost enchants (MS/LT/Venom/others) will be reduced to 100 to allow players with perfect faith to cast without a link.

• Like 5

Allow any priest to link with any priest, but only if both priests have the spell which is being cast by the caster.  (Example:  A vynora priest can link to a Paaweelr priest, but the Vynora priest's favor is not used if the Paaweelr priest attempts to cast Life transfer, but IS used if the priest casts Opulence, since both priests know that spell.)

Please don't limit it to only >100 favor spells...

25 minutes ago, Wargasm said:

Allow any priest to link with any priest, but only if both priests have the spell which is being cast by the caster.  (Example:  A vynora priest can link to a Paaweelr priest, but the Vynora priest's favor is not used if the Paaweelr priest attempts to cast Life transfer, but IS used if the priest casts Opulence, since both priests know that spell.)

Please don't limit it to only >100 favor spells...

The actual mechanics are already finished and in place, I just can't give out specifics right now because it's a component of yet another massive change that we've not talked about because it's pretty touchy, which is directed at changing a different facet of the game. However, I can tell you that it's not limited to favor cost of the spell. You'll still be able to link and cast bless, dispel, or CoC if you want.

10 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

The actual mechanics are already finished and in place, I just can't give out specifics right now because it's a component of yet another massive change that we've not talked about because it's pretty touchy, which is directed at changing a different facet of the game.

Doggone it, I can't help trying to guess what that means. :P

Well a faith transfer would suck for some.  Had my alt at 76 faith Paaweelr and 2 weeks ago changed over to Smeagan so now I'm useless again for awhile with low faith.

Can I get a voucher or something?

Edited by nicedreams

How about a travelling Altar.. Maybe a wooden one, made by someone with high Fine carpentry that a priest could bless.. Would save having loads of Altars just laying there all over the place.

• Like 1

Is it really that bad to have a PvE priest that has all the good item enchants? I'd be willing to take a nerf, say no favor regen, for such a thing. I'm pretty concerned that the devs are going to be their normal nerf-happy selves and make it so Paaw (or anyother item enchanting focused priest) doesn't have all the good spells.

I'd personly like a number of points I could spend to buy the spells I wanted. And have some advantage(s) and disadvantages to take or give more points to select spells.

One last thing.  Please, change priest / follower converts so (This is how it should have been in the first place) all you need to do is pray at ANY altar and you can become a follower or priest if you got enough faith. You shouldn't even need a stattuette.

Could you not remove the NEED for batteries (and yes complain that this reduces revenue all you like but I've seen naff all advertising from the company and only found it many years ago due to a suggestion on some random forum so clearly they don't care THAT much) by simply adding a new equipment slot (or ability to put a gem in your statue) for a gem.. This gem would hold whatever favor it has had vesseled into it and provide that favor as a battery priest would, then be used up or lose it's ql if it still has some left.. This would also increase the worth of higher ql gems as from what I've seen lately <10ql are selling for more due to less favor use to grind channeling. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, manthium said:

Could you not remove the NEED for batteries (and yes complain that this reduces revenue all you like but I've seen naff all advertising from the company and only found it many years ago due to a suggestion on some random forum so clearly they don't care THAT much) by simply adding a new equipment slot (or ability to put a gem in your statue) for a gem.. This gem would hold whatever favor it has had vesseled into it and provide that favor as a battery priest would, then be used up or lose it's ql if it still has some left.. This would also increase the worth of higher ql gems as from what I've seen lately <10ql are selling for more due to less favor use to grind channeling. 

Using gems as battery favour seems like quite interesting idea, +1 for that

• Like 1

Why would someone choose to burn-through/destroy gems when they can just sacrifice 10 to 20 of 100 ql chopped veggies? (imo) Reducing favor is a far better approach. Unfortunately, if/when that happens I suspect it's going to be accompanied with a bunch of nerfs.