Sign in to follow this  
validate

Impalong tempory portals

Well then if they that new and can't find a ride, they can always make the next impalong.

It is not the end of the world if every brand new player that does not know how to make a rowboat or travel around can not get to a impalong.

Portals are not needed for impalong events, you either want to come and find a way to do it or you don't want to go and it is not an issue then.

For the Impalong we held on Exodus there were people that came out the weekend before so they were on site and ready to play when the event started.

For the next maze retro does, I sure hope he don't turn it into a disaster again like his last event with the use of portals, it certainly would of been more enjoyable if everyone that wanted to attend the event had to figure out where the maze was to begin with on xanado.

brand new? took me a while to get used to wurm. i was still getting used to some stuff after a couple months and i made it to the impalong back then that was hosted (luckly) near where i lived. but navigation was a pain even tho it was small distance.

18 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

For the Impalong we held on Exodus there were people that came out the weekend before so they were on site and ready to play when the event started.

so.... you talking of that underground sand impalong? guess why i didnt show up: yup. didnt want to spend 4 hours sailing back and forth!

wasnt a problem of coming early or late it was a problem of how effing long it takes to go anywhere in wurm. that's what you fail to realise. doesnt matter to set sail even a week before: its the LONG TRAVEL TIME that cause trouble!!!

and according to those who say " with plot course now you can go anywhere in 30 minutes" i tried to go to a rift. i set sail over an hour before it opened. was supposed to take only 15-30 minutes. it ended up taking me 2+ hours. arrived at the end of second wave. and i had gale with a knarr. going at 25-27 kmh

so to quote Stormblade the traveling time "freakin sucks balls" 

and to show how freaking ridiculus the time to travel is. i live on newspring island. north coast. so i plot course to inde and go straight east, arrive barely a bit north of hermit island...and i did the trip recently. it took a good 20 minutes with a gale filling my sails. 20 minutes where a good 15 minutes was starting at xan edge waiting for it to come closer! 

if portals came to be for impalongs i wouldnt use them, cause not on my path, but people should still be able to have that choice.

i had to sail for over 8 hours one time to make a delivery. in ONE session. you do that then go tell us that sailing is fun and awsome. an entire day of wurm lost back then: didnt have dual screen so no watching a movie. had to keep an eye on not crashing into a rock... plot course sure would have helped me back then but it didnt exist. sure it helps now but its not enough. cutting 8-12 hours of sailing to 4 doesnt make those 4 hours magicaly more fun.

not to mention travel lags. go sail near glasshollow and see how well your computer handles it. i was sailing several map letters south of it and the errors where non stop. map chuncks loading in wrong places, server spamming my event that i wasnt synched anymore and so on. luckly no crash (my computer can take a beating) but felt close once or twice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ekib said:

............if portals came to be for impalongs i wouldnt use them, cause not on my path, but people should still be able to have that choice............

My sentiments exactly.  I prob wouldn't use them all that much myself either. In my case it's because I'm one of those weirdos who actually enjoys sailing. lol.  But I still +1 this suggestion.  I will always support anything that gives people more choices or that promotes/encourages people-movement and people-gathering.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ekib said:

is. i live on newspring island. north coast. so i plot course to inde and go straight east

So your problem with sailing is not knowing how to sail or where you are even located.

Get some good maps and learn where Islands are and such. Sure sailing to the center of Xandadu could take hours, but from where you live on Newspring Island in the SW by border hopping you could be to glasshollow in under an hour easy and anywhere else in wurm that is a coastal location. There is no sane reason to sail the width of xanadu ever again other than a scenic trip.

Our Exodus Impalong would of been easy for you to get to, so you are no good at figuring out where to go when sailing, find someone who knows what they are doing next time and go with them.

10 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

Our Exodus Impalong would of been easy for you to get to, so you are no good at figuring out where to go when sailing, find someone who knows what they are doing next time and go with them.

Or, you know, put a temporary portal down and everybody can just do what they want.  Problem solved!

• Like 1

-1, I know theres the option to not take the portal, but that really ruins the feel of a journey. I loved sailing and sight seeing, and I probably wouldnt have experienced it if I could just teleport to the impalong first time. If anybody truly doesn't want to travel that bad they can make an alt to run to the impalong and then mail the items to that alt. 1c for 70ql stuff is a pretty good deal.

i really didn't think there would be so many against.  really dont see why.  as in the title of the post,  "Temporary"  and reason was to help increase the population to the events,  mainly for newer players .

i don't think i read a single -1 post that states why it would hurt the game, or them in any way.  just seems like folks don't like it being possible for others to have an easier time getting to the events vs those who sail?  I do know the feeling as many of us playing 5-10 yrs and skilled up so many things the hard way. unfair that others can now skill up so fast now vs then, but really time to get over that, and just enjoy the game and let others do so too, if it doesn't affect you personalty   why care?

I do see a possible lag issue,  i'd suggest the event end of the portal be a small distance from the event to help prevent total lag at the event,  maybe activate the portal 1-2 days prior to the even, and turn it off from 2nd day into it, until last day of the event.  i'm sure if this was possible the community could come up with a way to let this happen, or enough feed back on both sides to decide . 

the game to me is still growing and improving,  we should keep an open mind and at least try, if it fails don't do it again, easy ?

• Like 2

Wurm is not about holding your hand and spoon feeding you, which is how those other games like WoW operate.

• Like 2

Dont even need to increase population to attend these events. The lag would be unbearable.

Once portals to impalongs are in, the unique slay portals will come followed by deed-to-deed travel portals to ultimatly end in the option on your body teleport to grid x/y, cooldown 30 min.

• Like 1

-1 to portals, and most definitely -1 to temporary portals, even suggesting it means having a very shallow understanding of what inmersion and scale is, and how important they are for a game like wurm.

The sailing update was already a compromise between the purists crowd (long travels are part of wurm) and the instant travel hooligans (travelling takes too long for no reason).

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

Wurm is not about holding your hand and spoon feeding you, which is how those other games like WoW operate.

That's why WoW is a more successful MMO.

1 hour ago, Rathgar said:

-1 to portals, and most definitely -1 to temporary portals, even suggesting it means having a very shallow understanding of what inmersion and scale is, and how important they are for a game like wurm.

Wurm has no immersion at all.

Selling more copies and having more ? isn't always more successful.  Look at the type of player who prefers wow over wurm.  I'd say wurm does an excellent job at creating better people than the theme park, wow.  That game allows your brain to slowly melt, comparable to watching TV all day.  o7 enjoy your fantasy Disneyland lol.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

Epic's portal system seems to work well. I can jump back and forth from Serenity to Elevate, and I feel no immersion loss. :P (Yes, I've sailed from Serenity to Elevate.) You still need to sail to deliver bulk goods, and travel within each servers is still very immersive.

A portal journey from point A on Serenity to point B on Elevate requires a lot of travelling across the islands, which, actually, is -far- more interesting travel than sailing (Epic spirits notwithstanding). ;)

I would be for each Freedom server having one portal, in a single starter deed designated the capital of the island. That would be economically interesting; deeds near the portals would get a boost (maybe horse/stable-renting would be a thing), while encouraging cross-island travel. That could also make land-locked deeds more viable.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lolmaster said:

That's why WoW is a more successful MMO.

Wurm has no immersion at all.

Yes it is, maybe you dont know what immersion is, or maybe you are so immerse in the game, that you cant tell how every aspect of the game is focused on immersion.  Either way, you are wrong.

• Like 1

Some people just want the easy button.  Eventually they make all buttons easy buttons.  Don't make wurm, wow, should be pretty obvious why ;)