Sign in to follow this  
validate

Impalong tempory portals

2 hours ago, Reylaark said:

We could go with:

The opinion that is most important is the one that allows and promotes the greatest participation in a community event.

That would be a terrible idea, especially if it goes against the very spirit of the game.

The community can't build portals.

Besides, there is more interaction with the community in asking for a ride, and I have never seen such a request denied yet in this game.

• Like 1

Won't be long until 20 players claim they would have a permanent impalong at their deeds. Pronto, portals to all these deeds from all starter towns please. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wulfgar said:

That would be a terrible idea, especially if it goes against the very spirit of the game.

Promoting the most inclusive opportunities for participation in one of the most social events of the year does not go against the very spirit of the game.

The community can't build portals.

The community can't teleport players that die in events back either, yet that's happening courtesy of GM's.

Besides, there is more interaction with the community in asking for a ride, and I have never seen such a request denied yet in this game.

A temporary portal would stop literally no one from asking for a ride if they prefer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Reylaark said:

Promoting the most inclusive opportunities for participation in one of the most social events of the year does not go against the very spirit of the game.

You are entitled to your opinion, and you present good arguments, but I still think it is a bad idea.

Here are some of my concerns and thoughts.

1) If we add one type of portal, the flood gates are opened, and players will ask for more portals, between servers, big cities, ally deeds, and whatnot, and travel will cease to exist.

2) If a player don't want to waste an hour to travel to a community event, how can we know he/she wants to spend any effort in participating in any positive way in this community event? Impalongs won't be much fun if players just take a portal, drop a few items in a forge, log back in when event is over, then take a portal back again.

3) At least in travelling back and forth to an event there are bigger chances to meet the community. Most MMO's today have no community, because you can teleport to whereever you need to go, and just group up with a bunch of random idiots you won't need to talk to again ever. 

I have more, but I am out of time. One thing I can say, is that if you asked me 5 years ago, I would instaquit Wurm Online if we ever got the type of portals suggested. Today I don't feel that way, so maybe in a few  years I'll even dream of an ingame minimap! Not sure I would have come back though, if we had one.

• Like 3

The only way I could see this happening would be if it was a new store item. EX: $10 per day per portal, portals only go from starter towns to impalong token. Probably a GM review somewhere in there to prevent sneaky abuse.

Edited by Darmalus

2 hours ago, Darmalus said:

The only way I could see this happening would be if it was a new store item. EX: $10 per day per portal, portals only go from starter towns to impalong token. Probably a GM review somewhere in there to prevent sneaky abuse.

sorry but i dont like this idea. impalong cost a lot of time and money to organise, and adding even more wouldnt be fair to the organiser. in this case why not have a small item that cant be droped upon death, that the person buys themself at trader, costing 10-50c and allowing you to tp to the impalong as many times as you want, until the end of event? this way using portal would be doable and cheap but not all free and not the organiser to pay for it.

also for all those who are saying portals are going to change wurm and its not going to be the same game. remember that some years ago any change to get 50+ metarial meant a trip to the pvp servers. so if you enjoy ANY tool weapon armor over ql 50. you arent playing the game as it was originaly started. so hurry up and drop all those items and return to under 50 ql items only!

and lets not talk about the graphics updates, bridges, 2 story houses ect ect ect.

Wurm is like a living entity: the community brings in the lifeblood, the devs are the head telling which direction to take. and to keep surviving one must evolves, grow, mature. 

sure not all change is good but if nobody tried to improve things. we'd all be sitting in a cave grouped together to keep warm from the freezing colds of winters, without fire or furs to help us. 

4 hours ago, Wulfgar said:

1) If we add one type of portal, the flood gates are opened, and players will ask for more portals, between servers, big cities, ally deeds, and whatnot, and travel will cease to exist.

What's so bad about people not wasting their gaming time traveling from point a to point b?

2) If a player don't want to waste an hour to travel to a community event, how can we know he/she wants to spend any effort in participating in any positive way in this community event? Impalongs won't be much fun if players just take a portal, drop a few items in a forge, log back in when event is over, then take a portal back again.

I haven't gone or plan on going to any impalong because non are nearby my deed and the only reason I would go is to help imp. I don't have a need to get my things imped or casted to go through the headache of traveling and relogging cause of travelers lag.

3) At least in travelling back and forth to an event there are bigger chances to meet the community. Most MMO's today have no community, because you can teleport to whereever you need to go, and just group up with a bunch of random idiots you won't need to talk to again ever. 

You mean the less than 5 mins it takes to leave a persons' local on boat or horse. I find that to not be the best time to meet the locals especially since they are most likely to be afk or don't notice till you get out of local range.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nicedreams said:

-1  Four hour sailing trips is part of the game.

you shush or i'll pee on your lawn neighbor .;-)   or anchor all 4 of my boats in front of your deed lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lolmaster said:

I haven't gone or plan on going to any impalong because non are nearby my deed and the only reason I would go is to help imp. I don't have a need to get my things imped or casted to go through the headache of traveling and relogging cause of travelers lag.

ah well does not sound like portals are the thing for you in any case

if a person can't take the time to go somewhere, and its far more easier to travel now than before with the change in boat speeds and plot your crossing adding instant portals is silly

also using them for the labyrinth event retro did a while back was a mistake as well, part of the adventure should of been traveling to the maze and you can be sure if someone wanted to go to that during the month long event, they would of found there way there without the use of any portals

7 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

ah well does not sound like portals are the thing for you in any case

if a person can't take the time to go somewhere, and its far more easier to travel now than before with the change in boat speeds and plot your crossing adding instant portals is silly

also using them for the labyrinth event retro did a while back was a mistake as well, part of the adventure should of been traveling to the maze and you can be sure if someone wanted to go to that during the month long event, they would of found there way there without the use of any portals

and the fact that someone portaled over to the maze affected you how?

• Like 1

-1 The trip is a big part of the experience.Plan it out and ask for a ride with somebody if you are lazy. The living social world IS Wurm, if you make stuff instant it dies. The server crossing changes made every trip fast enough.

Edited by permo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, permo said:

-1 The trip is a big part of the experience.Plan it out and ask for a ride with somebody if you are lazy. The living social world IS Wurm, if you make stuff instant it dies. The server crossing changes made every trip fast enough.

Bullsht.

The trip is NOT part of the experience, unless you want to count all the time waisted staring at a mast afk sailing.  Yes, don't deny it, it freakin sucks balls.  The Experience is to build, play, socialize, interact and actually Do something besides sitting at your monitor starting at your boat for hours.

Last impalong I went to, I picked folks up, Chaos, Deli, Exo even release. I must say, I woulda rather spent my time visiting with friends interacting with the folks there than wasting my time sailing.

the Living social world IS wurm.... not freakin sailing for hours to some destination.  How the Hell could anything die if there are portals, heck even form starter town to starter town?  What dies is the players enthusiasm to play. Folks getting bored with the game having to spend so much time doing absolutely Nothing while traveling is what leads to death. Look at the many other games out there. On release many games have travel, set at a certain time, then as time passes the developers realize, hey we want folks to Play the game, not spend time doing nothing while traveling.  Why can't wurm do the same?  -  Yes, travel has gotten faster, but again, while sailing, you still are doing nothing ( who'd rather be smithing, farming, capentry, making bricks, mortar? ... yeah thats right a Hell of a lotta folks ) 

Yes the server boarder crossings made things faster, to a point.  Sail from center of Indy, travel to Center of Xan, tell me how much freakin time that will take, go ahead do it then come back and tell us 'the trip is fast enough'  

• Like 1

Cake and eat it too.  You want to be far away from others for personal space and growing your deeds, but you want instant travel to anything community run.

I see the faulty logic.  If you want to be near people and events, live near there if you can't be asked to travel.  If you want your Independence well..  guess what? It comes with a cost. ;)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Reylaark said:

and the fact that someone portaled over to the maze affected you how?

it ruined the enjoyment of the game when you had to deal with the lag in the local from 150 freshly created alts running around just to farm a mask, if they had to spend 45 minutes traveling to the location you can bet this would not of happened

1 hour ago, JakeRivers said:

it ruined the enjoyment of the game when you had to deal with the lag in the local from 150 freshly created alts running around just to farm a mask, if they had to spend 45 minutes traveling to the location you can bet this would not of happened

That's more of a problem with Wurm than actual players. Would rather they fix this problem than work around and base updates on it. Next thing you know we'll be having assigned time slots to take part in big community events.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JakeRivers said:

I don't know how scalable Wurm is.  I've heard of businesses using virtual machines to increase capacity during holidays while they need it, then being able to bring things back to a more economical level when the frenzy dies down.  I'm guessing it's not that easy with Wurm (or they'd be doing that already).

Otherwise, a potential option might be to make the temporary portal premium only to travel through?

I think that would stop masses of freshly created alts... if those would even be of value at an impalong (guess it could be an easy way to outfit a new alt).  I'm thinking anyone wanting to go to an Impalong likely has at least one premium character so a premium only temp portal wouldn't be too limiting, but maybe limiting enough to avoid what you're bringing up.

Either way, thanks for answering.  Nobody likes lag.

As far as the concern that some will want portals everywhere because of temporary event portals... plenty of us remember SWG and wouldn't want a repeat of what instant transpo did there.  I'd have to think most people would understand if something is only for special occasions... but then again... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brew said:

Cake and eat it too.  You want to be far away from others for personal space and growing your deeds, but you want instant travel to anything community run.

I see the faulty logic.  If you want to be near people and events, live near there if you can't be asked to travel.  If you want your Independence well..  guess what? It comes with a cost. ;)

Everyone in possession of cake should get to eat their cake.

Why would you keep someone who has cake from eating it?  That's not faulty logic, that's just wrong!

Let them eat cake.... oh, wait,

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brew said:

Population density is so low everyone is far away from everyone. I had a lot more neighbors 3 years ago when I first settled down. It's not like this game really allows proper cities, that'd require that sub-leasing idea that was suggested a while back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reylaark said:

Everyone in possession of cake should get to eat their cake.

Why would you keep someone who has cake from eating it?  That's not faulty logic, that's just wrong!

Let them eat cake.... oh, wait,

i tell my wife she can have her cake and eat it too. but there will be no icing..  then i sleep on the couch. ;-(

• Like 2

On 25/10/2017 at 10:25 PM, JakeRivers said:

anyone can build a rowboat

and a rowboat from the middle of xanadu can't be more than 60-90 minutes

make a new toon and try to build a row boat i ll use a chronometer

• Like 1

On 26/10/2017 at 7:55 AM, Jaz said:

I  would strongly dislike portals in WO. I have played on wu  servers wirh portals and tha takes away a lot fron Wurm's feeling. World gets too small.

we have portals in wo, go to epic and check

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tamat said:

make a new toon and try to build a row boat i ll use a chronometer

1-2 hours tops, so try again

On 28/10/2017 at 4:50 AM, JakeRivers said:

1-2 hours tops, so try again

when i had stoped playing for a while and returned i had about 10 in ship building.. took me about a week to make a rowboat... sure i had to deal with the dangers around the area and losing tools and making newones. that was like a few hours to build a fence and some tools... but the actual effing boat... took me about a week (or even two) to actualy complete it.. and i dont play 5 minutes a day... so do like the kitty told you. made a new toon. go use your 1 WC skill and ship building and make a rowboat. you can use your main to supply wemp and tar, but just doing the wood alone isnt going to be 60-90 minutes. that's more likely to be the time to cut the logs to make the wood parts ( and remember new toon dont have carts! )

not to mention new players arent used to wurm (the hud, the mechanics, the way to build)  thus are far slower to get working.