Sign in to follow this  
validate

Impalong tempory portals

for those of us who hate the 4-6 hr sailing to head out to impalongs,  i'd love to see an epic type of portal, that could be used to teleport to impalong events.  GM only made at all starter citys whick i think we can use karma to portal to starter towns from our deeds? if not allow that, vs the suicide way.   this would increase the number of us coming and more fun. plus could use this type of portal for other events.

I say GM makeable only and starter towns. mainly to prevent folks taking advantage of trade. like making one at home deed, just to transfer goods to other servers to sell.

it's to bad we cound't just all do impalong on epic servers and allow the one deed area only allow freedom skill gain for return trips.

just an idea.

if you can't be arsed to travel away from your deed, then don't go

4-6 hr sailing time? are you kidding me, there is no where that takes that much time to sail to anymore with cross border hopping, maybe you missed the sailing update

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JakeRivers said:

if you can't be arsed to travel away from your deed, then don't go

4-6 hr sailing time? are you kidding me, there is no where that takes that much time to sail to anymore with cross border hopping, maybe you missed the sailing update

i hate sailing so much. moving from celi to xanadu. took 2-4 hrs from celi   and 3-6 hrs to go all the way back.  made 6 trips and almost quit the game.but ya been 3 yrs i think since i sailed. could be faster now.

as for your first comment. i'm not thinking of just me. many new players without boats or coastal deeds, i guess they can hitch a ride and hopefully be ready to leave the same time as their ride or have to swim home like i did the one impalong from deli a few yrs ago,  was on east coast, so only took a few hrs, and was fun seeing all the deeds along the way ;-)

i just keep seeing the population dropping and less folks at these events, thought i'd suggest an idea that would help make events more populated and fun.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, validate said:

without boats

anyone can build a rowboat

and a rowboat from the middle of xanadu can't be more than 60-90 minutes

boats certainly can use a speed boost, and I don't mean just make them faster, getting rid of the stupidly slow breeze/light breeze would go a long ways to improve the wurm life

• Like 3

well its all about location of impalong...  glasshollow is realy handy for everyone

28 minutes ago, Sila said:

well its all about location of impalong...  glasshollow is realy handy for everyone

with border hopping any location is handy

+1... but you will get tons of -1. i tried to offer linking starter towns with portals before and people shot down the idea fast... some added nice ideas, like need to travel to each town first to activate the portal... but most just decided to vote against without looking into the idea, just say portal and people will down vote you without even reading your post :S

• Like 2

-1 to anything that suggests portals. People who want portals are the same people who want free delivery to center Xanadu. There are very few places I cant get to in 40 minutes top. If you want to get to places faster, then live on a coast.

People who want portals are not all the same so it's very inaccurate to make judgements and categorize us all that way. That's getting personal and tends to put a burr under my saddle.  For example, I've long been in favor of some kind of limited portals between starter towns, and I have never wanted free delivery to center Xanadu. lol.  Oh and I've always lived on the coast.  :)

Anyway, +1 the op.

• Like 5

what amadee said...a portal taking you and your inventory only (no ride or cart) wouldnt be good for delivery anyway: anything you take with you this way might as well be sent by mailbox. the delivery argument is kinda low... anyhow this is changing subject a bit... event portal from starter town to impalong would be nice as it helps people get there, and if someone dies during a mob attack, can return quickly. less tents littering the nearby area, can already get laggy enough with people, a few less decorations might help :)

• Like 2

Imaplongs are player made events, a gm involvement is optional.. too many portals are around starter towns already from previous events..

If you don't like sailing, ask someone that's going to the impalong so you can hitch a ride, or go on land with a horse or cart.

The entire idea of the impalong is for the community to socialize and help one another, it's the best time to ask for help.

PS: Enki will take care of you and teleport you back from the starter town in case you manage to die in one of his events :)

1 hour ago, faty said:

Imaplongs are player made events, a gm involvement is optional.. too many portals are around starter towns already from previous events..

If you don't like sailing, ask someone that's going to the impalong so you can hitch a ride, or go on land with a horse or cart.

The entire idea of the impalong is for the community to socialize and help one another, it's the best time to ask for help.

PS: Enki will take care of you and teleport you back from the starter town in case you manage to die in one of his events :)

I was about to +1 the suggestion, but then I saw this, and you are absolutely spot on.

I  would strongly dislike portals in WO. I have played on wu  servers wirh portals and tha takes away a lot fron Wurm's feeling. World gets too small.

• Like 1

+1 to portals.

Don't know why all the Scrooges are -1 a quality of life suggestion. If you think portals will make Wurm not feel like Wurm, newsflash bud that's your opinion of what Wurm is. Wurm is more than traveling and wasting hours. Take it from an old-timer like me if you don't like any of the new/old in Wurm you don't have to use it.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lolmaster said:

+1 to portals.

Don't know why all the Scrooges are -1 a quality of life suggestion. If you think portals will make Wurm not feel like Wurm, newsflash bud that's your opinion of what Wurm is. Wurm is more than traveling and wasting hours. Take it from an old-timer like me if you don't like any of the new/old in Wurm you don't have to use it.

So who decides whose opinion is most important, and gives you the right to insult everyone with a different opinion than your own? You? 

• Like 1

If the GM's can put up a portal for the impalong, they can take it down after the impalong.

+1.

Don't want to take a portal?  Don't take a portal.

Throwing up a -1 is just holding back participation in impalongs.  Put up the temporary portals, let people who have a busy RL get in on the fun while still having time to walk the dog, change the diaper, make dinner, do the laundry and patch the roof.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Wulfgar said:

So who decides whose opinion is most important, and gives you the right to insult everyone with a different opinion than your own? You? 

We could go with:

The opinion that is most important is the one that allows and promotes the greatest participation in a community event.

• Like 2

-1 for every reason already said plus it destroyed every other game.  Please if you want to watch people quit faster it'd be from the portals vs the long trips. 

Where did the profession of sailing guide go?  Why aren't people charging coins for rides ;)

2 hours ago, Jaz said:

I  would strongly dislike portals in WO. I have played on wu  servers wirh portals and tha takes away a lot fron Wurm's feeling. World gets too small.

Well there's this.  It's actually the only argument I've ever heard against a permanent portal system that makes any sense to me. But that can be gotten around in a number of ways that have been gone into in many other threads though and doesn't really pertain to this particular suggestion.

As for temp portals to impalongs or other events, as per this suggestion, I see no harm in it at all.  I personally love sailing, have boats, know people who go to events so can hitch a ride if I'm so inclined, I'm fairly mobile, etc., etc.   Not everyone has the little "luxuries" in Wurm life that I enjoy after all my time playing.  And even I usually skip events simply because of the time involvement with travel to & from. 

I just don't see how a  portal at a starter town, that still requires travel to get to, would be harming anyone who doesn't choose to use it.  I still think it would be something very cool for those who would use it and probably would bring more people to some of these events.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

-1  Four hour sailing trips is part of the game.

And a part I really like, and would choose over a portal or plotted course on many occasions.

A temporary portal to an impalong is different.  I don't see why so many people are all gung ho on wanting to limit the ways others get to these awesome community events.

We're not talking about permanent portals to change the feel of the game, we're talking about a portal for the duration of an impalong to allow as many people to get there as possible.

59 minutes ago, Brew said:

Or carpooling^ 

Good in theory, and likely much more fun than a portal.  However...

Question:  Is it that important we force people to do it?  Would it really ruin your experience if the person you say hi to at an Impalong got there via portal?

I'd rather they be there if they wanted to go.  How they got there doesn't affect me.

2 minutes ago, JakeRivers said:

but it does not take 4 hours to sail anywhere

That's not really the point though.  Why would you care how someone gets to an impalong?  Why would you rather say no, and not have them there, than say "yes, for the impalong" and have them there?

Isn't the point of an impalong to give as many people from the community a chance to be there?  Seems like the busier they are, the better they are.  Minus lag I suppose, but then just pen the impalong and make it private. ;)

• Like 3